Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
What's up with the Glowlight's storage.
They partitioned it again in the Glowlight 4.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:36 PM   #17
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As far as having a keyboard is concerned, I'd like to be able to connect a bluetooth keyboard and use that for typing (as well as navigating the interface, with useful keyboard shortcuts, etc).

As it is, there's a lot of 'friction' to create lengthy annotations, and one really has to do this with some other device.
That requires you to keep a Bluetooth keyboard with you at all times. Having something built in is somewhat more convenient.

If I had my choice, I would not have ANY touch screen and use physical buttons for everything. It's just a better experience. It would add to the size of the device, but the tradeoff is worth it, in my opinion.

I recently bought an iPod with a clickwheel, and I find the physical buttons to be a much better experience than using my phone to play music.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2022, 11:40 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
What's up with the Glowlight's storage.
It has 32GB of storage, which is great. But only 5GB is available for sideloading.

I REALLY wish they would knock it off.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:41 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
If I had my choice, I would not have ANY touch screen and use physical buttons for everything. It's just a better experience. It would add to the size of the device, but the tradeoff is worth it, in my opinion.
While I agree with you, you have to pick your battles. Such e-readers are no longer made, so if not using a touchscreen is your primary goal, your options are to buy an old model that still works or get a small laptop, instead.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #20
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It has 32GB of storage, which is great. But only 5GB is available for sideloading.

I REALLY wish they would knock it off.
I though they stopped doing that with a firmware update.
Advert
Old 09-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #21
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
They partitioned it again in the Glowlight 4.
Grrr...
Old 09-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I though they stopped doing that with a firmware update.
There was one user who implied that. But then they refused to connect to a PC to double check. I dunno.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 PM   #23
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There was one user who implied that. But then they refused to connect to a PC to double check. I dunno.
Well, I have a Glowlight 4 my wife is getting as an anniversary present tomorrow I’ll report back once I get it plugged in.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:05 PM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
It was the physical buttons. Having physical page turn buttons,, an actual keyboard to type on, and physical navigation buttons is just a superior experience for me, over using a touch screen.
Same here which is why I bought extra kindle keyboards from Woot when they still carried them. I do have touchscreens but just love my clicky keys. I do agree, occasionally cooking from them works better than from a Fire.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:50 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Well, I have a Glowlight 4 my wife is getting as an anniversary present tomorrow I’ll report back once I get it plugged in.
Right on. I'd love to hear some good news. And if you can confirm it, you can look forward to a breaking news story from GoodEreader.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:08 PM   #26
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Same here which is why I bought extra kindle keyboards from Woot when they still carried them. I do have touchscreens but just love my clicky keys. I do agree, occasionally cooking from them works better than from a Fire.
There are two for sale near me on Craigslist for $20.00. Will then even still work with Amazon? Can I activate them on my account?

I think at some point, there will be a touchscreen revolt and people will demand the return of physical buttons and knobs.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:32 PM   #27
apastuszak
Evangelist

This thread had me thinking about my computer habits. I'm a pretty big geek. I own all sorts of devices. I bought a 12" iPad Pro 3 years ago. And I will almost always use my laptop over the iPad or my phone, because of the keyboard and mouse. Anything with a touch screen is a secondary device for me.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:03 AM   #28
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Even though I can buy books on my Kobo, I think I prefer buying them with a PC, just so I can avoid the touchscreen. I prefer texting with T9 than a touchscreen, too; once you know how to touch type, anything less is painfully slow, and at least T9 gives tactile feedback.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:39 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
There are two for sale near me on Craigslist for $20.00. Will then even still work with Amazon? Can I activate them on my account?
Yes. You won’t be able to buy books on the device, however, but you’ll still be able to download wirelessly books bought on other devices or via browser or app.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:58 AM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yes. You won’t be able to buy books on the device, however, but you’ll still be able to download wirelessly books bought on other devices or via browser or app.
There is always a chance that a used Kindle will be unable to be registered with Amazon because it was reported lost or stolen or was used as a trade in but never returned to Amazon. There are also reports of being unable to register after unregistering which could be a sign that Amazon is starting to phase out support for some very old models. Also some old devices cannot connect because they depend on outdated cellular service.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote