Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Ebook archive in case of the apocalypse?

<edit>

Last edited by jblitereader; 03-23-2011 at 02:23 AM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i do believe there is a digital archive in Northern Norway (If I'm remembering right). It's an arc of sorts, with stored seeds, copies of genetic material and so on.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I think ebooks are going to be the least of my worries in the case of an apocalypse...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
There are several, but all will be useless...as there won't be anyone left to read them. The Mad Max kind of survival thing won't happen. Anyone who survives the asteroid, nuke war, or whatever, will soon be wiped out by: disease, starvation, murder, war, etc. The event-asteroid/etc-will be followed by an aftermath which will wipe out all event survivors within a month.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I think ebooks are going to be the least of my worries in the case of an apocalypse...
Tchh... priorities.

Plus, I think the plan is to save important reference texts and great works of literature rather than eBooks as such. I think they also have everything in paper, but it's been a year or two since I read about it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
If said archive exists, I hope they stockpile plenty of spare pairs of glasses.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Burgess Meredith agrees!

It isn't all or nothing. Humankind could be decimated and still survive.

I think the best hope for the ebooks is that they aren't stored in any one place, but that there are SD cards all over the world filled with thousands of titles.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Burgess Meredith agrees!

I think the best hope for the ebooks is that they aren't stored in any one place, but that there are SD cards all over the world filled with thousands of titles.
Yeah, and if after the apocalypse we find out that we can't read a single of those ebooks that survived because of DRM's, I will seek out surviving publishers and shove red hot pokers up their butts.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
apocalypse?
The definitive excuse for the ebook hoarder
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Burgess Meredith agrees!

Of course. If 1 in 10 people were to die (which is what being "decimated" means), why wouldn't the remaining 90% survive?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I do hope there will always be paper copies around, because how long will we have the technology to be able to read e-books in the formats we have now? Even without an apocalypse scenario, that's something that worries me. And if most of humanity is wiped out, yes, I do believe that the survivors' priorities will be elsewhere for at least a few generations. Like getting away from all those unattended nuclear plants and assorted dangerous materials stockpiles, for one thing
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
i do believe there is a digital archive in Northern Norway (If I'm remembering right). It's an arc of sorts, with stored seeds, copies of genetic material and so on.
I believe it is in Svalbard, the cold is used as a shield of protection. I don't think its existence is based on some concept of apocalypse but rather to avoid gradually extinguishing various species.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #13
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Of course none of this matters, because the EMP released by such an event, would more than likely render inoperative all the electronic equipment and power stations, supplies etc!

We should be storing all literature etc in hardcopy form.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
Of course none of this matters, because the EMP released by such an event, would more than likely render inoperative all the electronic equipment and power stations, supplies etc!

We should be storing all literature etc in hardcopy form.
That's only in the case the "event" is a thermo-nuclear bomb, right?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
There are several, but all will be useless...as there won't be anyone left to read them. The Mad Max kind of survival thing won't happen. Anyone who survives the asteroid, nuke war, or whatever, will soon be wiped out by: disease, starvation, murder, war, etc. The event-asteroid/etc-will be followed by an aftermath which will wipe out all event survivors within a month.
I can agree about the Mad Max thing. But the rest?

If there is an aftermath, survivors after the initial effects, then some will survive. Largely depending on where they live (far away from the immediate effects), how many they are and how prepared they are. City life will most likely go, but subsistence farming may still be possible.

Humanity has most likely been near extionsion before. See for instance the therory about the Toba supereruption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

And I see my e-library as a possible resource in the aftermath. Not least because it is highly portable and easy to copy. But the readers are still not quite good enough. But they are getting closer ...

Last edited by Adoby; 08-14-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote