Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #46
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
The premise that the Oasis is being pulled from stores was discredited almost immediately. I'm surprised that this thread persists.

I find it unlikely that the Oasis will be refreshed this year because

1. It is the newest premium kindle
2. It is lowest rated premium kindle (4 stars vs 4.5 stars for the others)
3. It makes up the lowest revenue stream with anemic sales
Must ask how do you know #3? I didn't think Amazon published their sales figures.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #47
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Yes, it's only sold in Japan. And it's only 2000 yen(~$20) more than the 4GB version. And no I don't think it'd cost $180 to ship it and pay taxes. A quick look on eBay shows them for $170 with free shipping to the U.S brand new. I'm guessing that's one with ads based on the price. I don't even think I'd pay $180 to pay a reshipper service to buy one for me straight from Amazon Japan with taxes and everything.

Anyways my point was that storage is cheap, so why didn't they put more on the Oasis.
WOW! I'm having a hard time just wrapping my brain around a 32 GB on device storage! It might be useful for people doing academic or technical research, I guess, but for recreational reading, I'm not even close to filling up my 4GB Paperwhite!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #48
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
WOW! I'm having a hard time just wrapping my brain around a 32 GB on device storage! It might be useful for people doing academic or technical research, I guess, but for recreational reading, I'm not even close to filling up my 4GB Paperwhite!
It is my understanding that they read Manga over there and those files are bigger than a standard ebook.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #49
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It is my understanding that they read Manga over there and those files are bigger than a standard ebook.
People read manga over here too. And they even sell it on Amazon.com for Kindles. Western comics are also sold for Kindles too.

They generally range from 20-100MB a typical manga volume depending on image quality.

What I find even more baffling is that the U.S manga publishers generally give higher res images and thus larger file sizes than the Japanese version but we don't get the 32GB version.

Plus if a even if a short book has 20-30 high res images the file size can easily bloat to 8MB or more.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
WOW! I'm having a hard time just wrapping my brain around a 32 GB on device storage!
I guess you'd really freak out over my iPad with its 512GB, then .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #51
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedsoft View Post
The Kindle Oasis may be one of the most innovative and effective design evolution made for an e-reader to date.
Agree very much. On a device where the display can rotate so easily without harming other functions, it's a good idea to trim away the unnecessary bezel space and move the weight closer to the hand. And page buttons right under the thumb. Simple, brilliant design.

And I wonder if LCD tablets couldn't learn a similar trick. In fact, with an LCD, you could almost have a sort of "virtual bezel" that scoots over a bit when it detects a hand using the space. Use the non-covered parts of that vbezel to have home buttons, volume controls, etc.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #52
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess you'd really freak out over my iPad with its 512GB, then .
Head spinning.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #53
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
I find it unlikely that the Oasis will be refreshed this year because
- - - -
Right!
As the VP of marketing at my last firm used to say:
So what if we lose a little bit of money on each sale, we can make it up on volume.

Jeff Bezos is the Richest or the Next-to-Richest man in the world (depending on the changes in Microsoft and Amazon stock prices - he and Bill keep swapping their postilions).
You think he got that way by following the little adage I quoted above?

I will stick with my opinion above -
The Amazon Kindle Oasis is another Amazon Fire Cellphone.
With the same product future the AFC had.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you provide some data to support this?

We know (because Mr Bezos has publicly said so) that Amazon make no profit from the PW - it's sold at cost. If, as seems extremely likely, the Oasis is sold at a profit, it's still a revenue stream for Amazon, which the PW is not.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So in the scrolling banner on Amazon.com that advertises the various Kindle models, why is the Oasis not shown if it's still a currently viable product? To me that would say that the Oasis is dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So in the scrolling banner on Amazon.com that advertises the various Kindle models, why is the Oasis not shown if it's still a currently viable product? To me that would say that the Oasis is dead.
It's not a "scrolling banner"; it's a fixed-width banner with room for four products. Presumably Amazon decided to use the space to advertise their four top-selling Kindle products.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not a "scrolling banner"; it's a fixed-width banner with room for four products. Presumably Amazon decided to use the space to advertise their four top-selling Kindle products.
Regardless of what the banner is called, there is room to have the Oasis shown.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Regardless of what the banner is called, there is room to have the Oasis shown.
You know exactly what I mean, Jon. Stop being irritating.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You know exactly what I mean, Jon. Stop being irritating.
It is a scrolling banner and there is room for the Oasis and the Oasis is not there. That has to say something about the Oasis which is not good.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #60
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It is a scrolling banner and there is room for the Oasis and the Oasis is not there. That has to say something about the Oasis which is not good.
Could it be that Amazon knows there isn't a snowballs chance in Phoenix in the summer that you would ever buy an Oasis so it doesn't show on your feed.

Off to look at Kindles now.
Ok looked at the scrolling banner.
Amazon thinks I need 2 Echos, an accent table, prime, unlimited music and $35 off a new kindle.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 08-11-2017 at 01:02 PM.