Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #46
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I also voted for the old homescreen. I like the customizable tiles, even if it seemed a bit cluttered at the beginning. Advertising is an absolute no-go for me.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I won't upgrade, I don't like the looks of that new home screen at all!

I don't need to know how many books I have on my device and I never use Wifi, so I never browse kobo, nor do I use Pocket. And that recommended I'll decide myself, thank you. Which leaves only the top part actually usable...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #48
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I vote for the old home screen. The new home screen seems to reflect what Kobo wants. The old home screen reflects the user's activities.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't have first hand experience with the new screen. From the screenshots and a GoodEreader video, I didn't care for what I saw.

But I do like merging the home button on the top left and the hamburger button on the top right into one combined button. I also like replacing the search bar with just the icon. Too bad there isn't a way to merge those replacements with the old tile screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
The new home screen seems to reflect what Kobo wants. The old home screen reflects the user's activities.
Exactly.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #51
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
I think the new one is a definite improvement...
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Query: For those with multiple devices they've upgraded, did you get a new screen/old screen mix, or was it consistently one or the other? Because I've upgraded my Glo HD and Glo without getting the new screen and I might be tempted to risk upgrading my Aura One for the light fix if others found they had all one or the other.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #53
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Query: For those with multiple devices they've upgraded, did you get a new screen/old screen mix, or was it consistently one or the other? Because I've upgraded my Glo HD and Glo without getting the new screen and I might be tempted to risk upgrading my Aura One for the light fix if others found they had all one or the other.
Saw this from DF (who I'm always inclined to follow):
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which home screen you get has absolutely no relationship to the upgrade. Kobo are randomly choosing devices to have the new home screen. They have said about 20% of the devices get the new home screen. Based on comments here, I suspect they might be making sure that people with multiple devices don't have the new home screen on all devices.
Beyond that I have absolutely no idea how the New Screen roll-out is happening. I have seen other posts (in support of this) from folks with multiple devices and they only speak one device upgrading. HOWEVER, I have also seen a ton of posts from people with Aura's who got the new Home Screen (can't remember which models though). Best I've got on this one. Really tempted not to post this...I don't want to feel in anyway responsible...but I'm just trying to help.
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
Saw this from DF (who I'm always inclined to follow):
Beyond that I have absolutely no idea how the New Screen roll-out is happening. I have seen other posts (in support of this) from folks with multiple devices and they only speak one device upgrading. HOWEVER, I have also seen a ton of posts from people with Aura's who got the new Home Screen (can't remember which models though). Best I've got on this one. Really tempted not to post this...I don't want to feel in anyway responsible...but I'm just trying to help.
Much appreciated. I remembered the random aspect of the post, but not the comment about no one getting all new screens. And even if your gut reaction is that it's the newer devices that are getting new screens, that's more than I've got. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've seen a mix and I've also seen devices go from the new home screen to the old home screen and back as I've done firmware upgrades.

As for all new home screens? Currently an Aura HD, Aura H2O and KA1 have the new home screen (the KA1 had it on 4.3.8842, lost it on 4.3.8929 and regained it on 4.3.8945) while an Aura had it on 4.3.8842 but it went away on 4.3.8871 and not returned on 4.3.8945).

Last edited by DNSB; 03-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I think the new one is a definite improvement...
Care to give reasons? I like the new top bar and menu, but the rest leaves me cold.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen a mix and I've also seen devices go from the new home screen to the old home screen and back as I've done firmware upgrades.

As for all new home screens? Currently an Aura HD, Aura H2O and KA1 have the new home screen (the KA1 had it on 4.3.8842, lost it on 4.3.8929 and regained it on 4.3.8945) while an Aura had it on 4.3.8842 but it went away on 4.3.8871 and not returned on 4.3.8945).
Thanks, David. This is helpful; the OTA updates for my Glo and Glo HD are currently maxed out at 4.3.8842, which going by your experience seems a perilous upgrade for avoiding the new screen. I'd have liked to try to push one more through on the KA1 to fix light issues, but it's not worth the risk for me.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #58
Boyesen30
Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Touch N905c, Aura one, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
Is it known if the kobo touch (n905c) will get the new homescreen?
Also updated my Aura one to newest firmware and no luck. I dont like the idea of advertising being on my homescreen but it looks better optimized for quick access to everything.
Boyesen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyesen30 View Post
Is it known if the kobo touch (n905c) will get the new homescreen?
Also updated my Aura one to newest firmware and no luck. I dont like the idea of advertising being on my homescreen but it looks better optimized for quick access to everything.
If you read the last few posts, you will see that no-one knows which you will get. It's random.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #60
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I updated 2 Glo HDs today to 4.3.8945. The spare I first updated was from 4.3.8842 to 4.3.8945, and both times kept the old screen. That got me to then put it on my main reader, which I updated from 3.19.5761 directly to 4.3.8945, and that one unfortunately has the new screen. Going to do the patch now to put it back to the old home screen. Both were updated over wifi by syncing with affiliate=bol.

One of the big reasons I wanted 4.3.8945 was because they finally did away with the idiotic phrasing of "My Books" and "My Collections." I can't begin to say how much I've always hated that "My" added to everything in Windows, it's my dragging-your-fingernails-across-the-chalkboard thing to me every time I see it. But it's back with the new home screen, so if I thought I hated the new home screen before, you can imagine how much I hate it now.

I'd be happy never updating again if that's what it took to avoid the new home screen should they ever decide to stick with it and force it to everyone. I prefer purchasing all books from my PC only to keep them all located in one central place, so I only sideload my books, and never use the browser on my reader either.

And the patch worked beautifully to get rid of the new home screen on my main reader, thank you GeoffR.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo