Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #1741
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
The free download for Wednesday from YourClassical is King Christian II: VII. Ballade. This piece is composed by Jean Sibelius.

Download the freebie by proceeding to this webpage, and clicking on "Direct MP3 download link."

One quick comment . . . . The performance did not sound crisp and clear to me.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #1742
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

YourClassical is offering a Richard Strauss piece as its free download of the day. The piece is Aus Italien: On the Beach at Sorrento. Which, just happens to be where I'd like to be right now.

Download the MP3 by going to the dedicated YourClassical webpage for today's freebie, at http://www.yourclassical.org/story/2...ch-at-sorrento. Look for "Direct MP3 download link."

Listen, folks, this piece is over 12 and a half minutes long. I hope that you will forgive me, if I don't get to listen to the entire piece tonight, before making a judgment. Okay? It is a pleasant and relaxing, though I wouldn't describe it as becalming.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-11-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Advert
Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #1743
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free until 10 AM Saturday, May 11th as a promo for the Spring Sale in the Humble Bundle store:

Dungeons 2, a fantasy strategy simulation game in a popular franchise (Wikipedia) where you play an evil overlord who has to thwart the encroaching heroes by setting traps and cultivating minions and the like, which TBH, looks pretty fun @ the Humble Store (available worldwide for Windows, Mac, & Linux via Steam key, requires a Steam account linked to your Humble account, and key must be redeemed in the Steam app by May 25th).

The Dungeon Lord is back – and this time he’s serious! In Dungeons 2, fulfil the Dungeon Lord’s insatiable quest for vengeance by recruiting fearsome new monsters from all corners of the underworld in order to undertake his evil bidding. Taking over the underworld isn’t enough though – this time The Dungeon Lord will extend his dominion over the puny humans and attempt to conquer the overworld too!

Take control of the mighty Dungeon Lord and craft a network of unique and terrifying dungeons, recruit an army of fearsome creatures and command two new factions. Prepare to defend your Kingdom against those pesky heroes, go above ground to wage war on their human cities and use the ‘Hand of Terror’ to take direct control over your minions, issue commands, and even dish out a swift slap to keep them in line.

The extensive campaign story mode is packed with even more of the dark humour which made the original Dungeons a hit and is peppered with numerous references to various fantasy books, movies and TV shows. Additionally, you can test your strength in four different game modes in multiplayer for up to four players with other Dungeon Lords over LAN or online.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #1744
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

ADDENDUM: Sorry, I failed to give a web address. Here is the URL.

The final free YourClassical download of the week (M-F) is today's.

It comes from composer Georg Philipp Telmann; it is Overture Suite in D: Overture.

Telemann is another composer that was unfamilar to me (Why, oh, why didn't take that course offered to me in music appreciation when I had a chance?) before today.

Being orchestral music, there are a number of musical instruments in the composition. Horns, one of my favorite type of musical instrument, is prominent at the beginning. There is quite a bit of violin (or high cello) in the piece, also.

The piece is lively, without being grating (as I often consider the violin part in some classical pieces) or blaring. It's a pleasant piece, IMHO. If this piece is representative of the body of Telmann's work, he should be in the pantheon of great composers along with other ones.

I haven't been doing this long enough to remember for sure, but I think that YourClassical provides a free piece on major legal holidays such as Monday is in the United States (Memorial Day).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-12-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #1745
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Is this thread only for downloads?

From time to time I see box sets of CDs and DVDs on sale. I would post them if anyone is interested. What say you?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #1746
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

From time to time I see box sets of CDs and DVDs on sale. I would post them if anyone is interested. What say you?
I get my info about those from superdeluxeedition.com
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #1747
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

I'd be interested. I still actively buy CDs and DVDs.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #1748
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'd be interested. I still actively buy CDs and DVDs.
Me too.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #1749
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
<snip>
I haven't been doing this long enough to remember for sure, but I think that YourClassical provides a free piece on major legal holidays such as Monday is in the United States (Memorial Day).
Sorry. This coming Monday is not Memorial Day. Memorial Day is, I think, the following Monday. So, there is no reason that I would not expect another free YourClassical giveaway this coming Monday.

However, this Sunday is, I think, Mother's Day. So those of you fortunate enough to have their mothers still living (I am one of those ), be sure to do something nice for her!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-12-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #1750
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
<snip>
There was a very special deal on audiobooks on CD's that I ran across about 9 months ago. I asked the moderator of the thread if we were allowed to post any physical-media audiobooks. He said that he didn't mind if we posted an occasional deal (the implication was, don't do too much of it). Perhaps that would be the sentiment of the other moderators for other threads, like this one.

If it was me, I would ask first. That's despite the saying that, "it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission (meaning that once you've done something that you shouldn't have, what's the supervisor going to do about it? It's already been done, and no one can change that. On the other hand, if you ask for permission, he/she can always say "no," and you won't get to do what you want to do)".
Old 05-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #1751
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
There was a very special deal on audiobooks on CD's that I ran across about 9 months ago. I asked the moderator of the thread if we were allowed to post any physical-media audiobooks. He said that he didn't mind if we posted an occasional deal (the implication was, don't do too much of it). Perhaps that would be the sentiment of the other moderators for other threads, like this one.

If it was me, I would ask first. That's despite the saying that, "it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission (meaning that once you've done something that you shouldn't have, what's the supervisor going to do about it? It's already been done, and no one can change that. On the other hand, if you ask for permission, he/she can always say "no," and you won't get to do what you want to do)".
This question is now being reviewed by the moderator staff. We'll post the decision after it's been made.

tm
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 AM   #1752
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The YourClassical piece, which marks the beginning of this week's (M-F) slate of classical freebies is from composer Giuseppe Verdi.

The piece is La forza del destino: Overture.

The piece varies wildly in intensity, volume, and tempo. Not my thang, seeing how I like to listen to classical music for soothing my savage breast (yes, "breast" is correct; not "beast), and such like. But it might be just the kind of classical music that you like. To each his own.

If you wish to download the free MP3, go to this webpage, and click on the "Direct MP3 download link."

I'm looking forward to this rest of this week's daily (M-F) free classical pieces!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #1753
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Mariner Software, who make a number of popular mostly-Mac (a few available for Windows) programs for writers and bloggers, as well as home & office stuff, are celebrating their 27th anniversary with a 50% off sale.

Until Sunday, May 21st, the coupon code MARINER27 in their direct-buy online store will get you the non-upgrade version of any and all of their software for half price, including their Family License 5-packs and the assorted already-discounted bundles of their titles. There's a 30 day free trial on all their Mac apps, and they usually have pretty good documentation.

Probably of most interest to MR forumgoers are: Narrator (text to speech & dictation; a front-end to the Mac OS built-ins which you can use 3rd party voices with and customize more than the defaults allow and export DIY audiobooks with full cast readings), StoryMill & Persona & Contour (novel writing & character & plot development), Montage (screenwriting), MacJournal (journaling & blogging; I used to have an older version of this while it was still freeware from an independent developer and quite liked it), MacGourmet Deluxe (recipe management)

Some of these sometimes come up pretty cheap in assorted Mac software bundles from places like StackSocial and BundleHunt, but it takes a while and you usually have to spend extra $ for other apps which may or may not be of use to you, so a half price sale is a pretty good deal if you just want a couple of things right now, especially if you're getting the bundles.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-15-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Missing letter.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 AM   #1754
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Antonio Vivaldi was one of the first composers that I learned to appreciate. So I was glad to see that today's free YourClassical piece is by him.

The piece is Violin Concerto in C, RV 184.

Despite the fact that I like Vivaldi, I don't care for the violin, and with the piece being a violin concerto . . . well, you might expect some violin to be in the piece. I haven't finished testing/listening to the piece at this moment, but I'm okay with the violin in this piece so far.

The "Direct MP3 download link" is here, on this webpage.

Check back tomorrow for another free classical piece from our friends at YourClassical!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #1755
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Dead in Bermuda is the ~bimonthly free game at Origin.
https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/sto...andard-edition
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere