Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
jeeperz
jeeperz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Overlapping text

I'm new to the whole e-reader scene and have an issue with some books in the ePub format. Some of the text is overlapped and the page setup doesn't seemed to be sized correctly as part of the text is cut off on the right side of the page. Can anyone suggest how I can edit to file to correct the overlapping text?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo3.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	76924  
jeeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's an epub?? What the heck are you using to read that with? Where does the epub come from? Is it encrypted? (also known as DRM'ed)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
jeeperz

I'm using kobo to read it, but the image comes from Adobe Digital Editions. I don't believe the epub is encrypted.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
That seems to be a problem with Kobo's non-Kobo epub version AFAICT.

I guess that we're stuck with half-assed English support while they chase the [s]minor[/s] marginal foreign markets...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
shall1028
Nameless Being

I really should have a keyboard shortcut for the following:

Without a sample of the offending epub to look at we here will just be guessing as to the problems associated with it as we can not see for ourselves what might be the matter. In this case my guess is that it is a grand rodent conspiracy between marmots, beavers and groundhogs to distract us from their schemes to take over the world.

Having said all that you are in luck as I suspect I do know what's "wrong" with your epub. I notice that the typeface in your JPEG example is fixed-spaced leading me to believe you epub is plain text file in disguise and that were we to look into it we'd find lots of paragraphs that look similar to <pre>This is the text.</pre> hence the rendering issues.

Any others willing to concur?
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
jeeperz

If that's what's wrong, how do I fix it?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
Having said all that you are in luck as I suspect I do know what's "wrong" with your epub. I notice that the typeface in your JPEG example is fixed-spaced leading me to believe you epub is plain text file in disguise and that were we to look into it we'd find lots of paragraphs that look similar to <pre>This is the text.</pre> hence the rendering issues.

Any others willing to concur?

Close. There was only one <pre> (for the whole thing)
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperz View Post
If that's what's wrong, how do I fix it?
Find a better source for you illicit books
Old 09-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
epubs are, usually, cheaper than paper books.... What did you do before you had a kobo? Shoplift books at the mall?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
epubs are, usually, cheaper than paper books....
What???? Not my experience at all. They should be, but in reality they aren't, but that's OT for this thread.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Close. There was only one <pre> (for the whole thing)
You need to contact the publisher and complain about it. There's absolutely no excuse for such appalling formatting. Where did you buy the book from? Kobo?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard

Quick fix using Calibre instructions:

Use the tweak epub feature to 'explode' the broken books. Find the html files (in the Oepub directory, I think) and open them with a a text editor. Copy and paste the text of the book into a new .txt file, but discard all the html code. Close all files and cancel the tweak operation. Add the new .txt file into Calibre and convert to epub. The final book format won't be very good, but should be readable, for the budget concious.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
chaclaw
chaclaw began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Bad Margins too

I received my Kobo for Christmas and I still can't get it to work well for anything but downloading direct from kobo. I have tried to download books from free e-book sites and they always come up with pages the wrong size, with big > shapes on all sides.

Can anyone tell me how to get the epub formatted books to fit? I have adobe digital editions installed but it has no way to do the sizing. The Kobo is more trouble than it is worth and I have almost thrown it out many times. Hate it!

Can someone suggest a way around my problem?
Thank you.
chaclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaclaw View Post
I received my Kobo for Christmas and I still can't get it to work well for anything but downloading direct from kobo. I have tried to download books from free e-book sites and they always come up with pages the wrong size, with big > shapes on all sides.
What free e-Book sites are you using?
It sounds to me like you are getting bad ePubs. I seriously doubt it's the Kobo's fault.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
chaclaw
chaclaw began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Goodreads, manybooks.net, free e-books.net, pixel of ink and gutenberg. Are there better sites? I noticed that on at least one site you can set the size of your reader. What is the size for Kobo? I thought I had measured the screen but everything still came up WAY screwy.

The free books are what I want as I have no interest in buyuing e-books. If I want to spend then I buy a paperback or whatever. But ebooks -- I don't enjoy them quite like real books and am not ready to spend money on them -- yet.
chaclaw is offline   Reply With Quote