Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #31
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can you get the 'techie' who built-system/installed-Windows to have a look at it?

Windows has a tasklist command. If you redirect its output to a couple of files you could eyeball compare (on paper if you were me) what's running in safe and normal modes. If needs be use the /svc switch to see what services are being run by each svchost instance.

BR
I actually found that cmd and used it. Got a list of services. I have been trying to track it again this morning, but I have wasted enough time on it. Several days now. I just don't have the time when so many other things need my attention. It's damn frustrating.

My machine was built in a different city than the one I live (7 hours away by car) Not really practical to send it back - especially as Calibre is the only thing that seems affected - and it's only the writes (the rest of the program seems fine). I was really thinking it was something like the search indexer or something, but turning that off does nothing.

The only starnge thing I have found during my investigation is that my SSD and my first 3.5" HDD have the same "Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0" designation. This could be the way it's supposed to be, but all the other drives have a different Bus Number?? Or...i could be just that windows is seeing the clone of my ssd on the primary partition of one of my 3.5" HDD's? (This is more likely the case)

I really appreciate the help here. But I guess I have come to the end of my willingness to invest more time into tracking it down. Makes using Calibre a real pain, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it! Perhaps in time I will resolve it????
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #32
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
I actually found that cmd and used it. Got a list of services. I have been trying to track it again this morning, but I have wasted enough time on it. Several days now. I just don't have the time when so many other things need my attention. It's damn frustrating.

My machine was built in a different city than the one I live (7 hours away by car) Not really practical to send it back - especially as Calibre is the only thing that seems affected - and it's only the writes (the rest of the program seems fine). I was really thinking it was something like the search indexer or something, but turning that off does nothing.

The only starnge thing I have found during my investigation is that my SSD and my first 3.5" HDD have the same "Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0" designation. This could be the way it's supposed to be, but all the other drives have a different Bus Number?? Or...i could be just that windows is seeing the clone of my ssd on the primary partition of one of my 3.5" HDD's? (This is more likely the case)

I really appreciate the help here. But I guess I have come to the end of my willingness to invest more time into tracking it down. Makes using Calibre a real pain, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it! Perhaps in time I will resolve it????
Would it be possible for you to use a hard drive testing app and run a few tests benchmarks
https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-d...2626183chmarks
you might be facing this problem in calibre only currently but it might just be an indication that something is going to give in the future
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote