Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question Is Alex still alive?

First and only firmware update has been around May.
Today I've emailed their support on their website about a status update.
I've received an automated reply "eMail can't be delivered".
Does Spring Design still exist? Is Alex still a "living product"?
Anyone who bought Alex in the last 3 months?

BTW: I like mine. But I miss dictionary, which was killed with the firmware update.
So much potential...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
From the website:

Holiday promotion from now until December 20, 2010 at US$349. (For web order only.)

I guess someone's available to process orders.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
From the website:

Holiday promotion from now until December 20, 2010 at US$349. (For web order only.)

I guess someone's available to process orders.
Thanks, still strange though...
Would be interesting to know, how much units they've sold since April...

Another question: Will you replace your Sony 900 with Sony 950?
I'm tempted. But they seem to have changed the cover. From "single flap" to the standard one we know of the other Sonys. I find the Sony 900 cover so much "smarter"....
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, they really skimped on setting the 950 apart from the other models. I, too, am fond of the 900's cover.

The urge to buy a 950 hasn't been as strong as expected. I've examined one on several occasions; the screen's improvement and enhanced feature set are worth the upgrade. I'm just not compelled to buy one yet.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'm still hoping to see an Alex with a Pearl screen (or better) someday, but while I'm waiting I've picked up a 950.

There used to be another Alex blog/forum (thealexreader.com) where I got news, but it seems to be offline now.

Last edited by NNolan; 12-04-2010 at 06:39 AM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm still hoping to see an Alex with a Pearl screen (or better) someday, but while I'm waiting I've picked up a 950.
Nice choice. Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Just read on Endgadget that Spring Design have killed the Alex.

So to answer the original posters question. No, the Alex is dead.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Just read on Endgadget that Spring Design have killed the Alex.

So to answer the original posters question. No, the Alex is dead.
That's a pity. It really did have potential. But I guess, for a no-name (or did anyone know them before?) it's almost impossible now to compete with Apple, Samsung or Amazon...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases

I can't say that I'm surprised, though.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
For $100, these would have sold like hotcakes!
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
yeap. edges sold for USD109
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote