Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 01:11 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegAnne View Post
Glad to know that you're taking care of the issue. I bought Calibre Companion from the Amazon Appstore and, even if I wanted to pay for it again and get it from the Play Store, I would be forced to "hack" my Fire to install the Play Store and I really don't want to.
offtopic, but its not a hack really, you just install a sequence of 4 apps, which do not affect your warranty - easily removed.
having the google play store available makes the fire tablet much more useful , in my opinion, even more so if you already own any google apps.
you can get better, newer versions of most news apps, ebay, chrome browser, epub reader apps, other goodies from google. its worth it just to Not have to use Silk !
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:20 AM   #17
MegAnne
Enthusiast
MegAnne began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
offtopic, but its not a hack really, you just install a sequence of 4 apps, which do not affect your warranty - easily removed.
having the google play store available makes the fire tablet much more useful , in my opinion, even more so if you already own any google apps.
you can get better, newer versions of most news apps, ebay, chrome browser, epub reader apps, other goodies from google. its worth it just to Not have to use Silk !
Still off-topic but... I'm aware, that's why "hack" was between apostrophes. In the past I installed those 4 apk on a different Fire and had a bunch of issues, not willing to retry.
Back to topic, I bought an app in the Amazon Appstore to use it in an Amazon device and I have no intention of buying it again in Google Play because someone botched an update. How would I trust that the same wouldn't happen?
MegAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 03:37 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegAnne View Post
Back to topic, I bought an app in the Amazon Appstore to use it in an Amazon device and I have no intention of buying it again in Google Play because someone botched an update. How would I trust that the same wouldn't happen?
I fully agree, its an atrocious lack of testing before release, and an appaling lack of quality control at amazon app store. How can Amazon let an app go live which requires a google licence {that amazon cannot provide}, and then refuse to permit a developer rollback to working version.
easy with hindsight but back up all your amazon app purchases, then you can disable auto updates and restore a previous working version when needed. I learned to do this with Bookari, as they had a history of botched updates, but same method will work for any app.

in the meantime, you may want to explore other ways to get books onto fire, without needing CC at all. e,g, send to kindle , and read in the Fire tablet kindle app. they will show as docs, not books , and have to be read via DOCS but that's no great hassle.

seriously though, having to reply on Amazon app store is just bad. if you don't want the sideload hassle for google, get a proper e.g. samsung android tablet. [ you can install the amazon app store onto android tablets, if tyou have owned apps that you still want to use

Last edited by stumped; 07-04-2020 at 03:40 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #19
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
A new version has been submitted and is in review.
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:44 AM   #20
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
A new version has been submitted and is in review.
Downloaded the new version but its not fixed.

I can now sync without the license error but opening a book still gives the DRM error

Can you have another look please
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post

I can now sync without the license error but opening a book still gives the DRM error

DRM error usually says your device is not registered to that books License.
CC and or Calibre does not change that.
Apprentice Alf may be able to help you if you do have a PC registered to that book.
Please take those questions to Alf (MR rules)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #22
SASSBS
Connoisseur

@TheDucks sorry but this is caused by CC if you open the book directly then it works fine. I tested it with a book I have with no DRM and the same error appears so it is a CC issue caused by the last 2 updates!
Old 07-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@TheDucks sorry but this is caused by CC if you open the book directly then it works fine. I tested it with a book I have with no DRM and the same error appears so it is a CC issue caused by the last 2 updates!
I have no clue what the current crew is doing. The original CC was solid. We have the 1980's (released software issues) all over again. Most users can not deal with the 'bleeding edge' releases.

I really recommend ALL Android users turn off Auto Update for CC (I did) and ignore the update is available notices (IMHO NEVER use the Update all button in Google Play. Cherry pich what you use and what you know is solid)
Check HERE (this forum) for issues, before risking pain.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #24
SASSBS
Connoisseur

agree the lack of proper testing - or support is really bad wish I could roll back the app to chaley's one it worked!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #25
MyKindleGoodies
Geek w/ Kindle Tendencies
MyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toysMyKindleGoodies shares his or her toys

Device: kindle 3, kindle fire 1, android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have no clue what the current crew is doing. The original CC was solid. We have the 1980's (released software issues) all over again. Most users can not deal with the 'bleeding edge' releases.

I really recommend ALL Android users turn off Auto Update for CC (I did) and ignore the update is available notices (IMHO NEVER use the Update all button in Google Play. Cherry pich what you use and what you know is solid)
Check HERE (this forum) for issues, before risking pain.
Agreed! That will be the plan for the future, guaranteed. However, it doesn't help those of us that DID install the update (but not the fix for the broken update). Any rollback or work-around options for us?

Winter!
MyKindleGoodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #26
paul66
paul66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Same for me but as CC just opens them in the reader anyway, it's annoying but there's an easy workaround by using a file manager to open them.
paul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #27
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul66 View Post
Same for me but as CC just opens them in the reader anyway, it's annoying but there's an easy workaround by using a file manager to open them.
not really when you have 4K of books

hopefully they fix it in a day or 2
Old 07-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #28
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:

Can you send us an email at ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #29
SASSBS
Connoisseur

I have already done so do you need it again?
Old 07-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #30
PMrev
Groupie

Quote:
I have already done so do you need it again?
Im not sure which email account you are.

Can you please bump the thread and we can continue conversation there.

Tags
amazon, calibre companion, licence