Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #16
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
@yifanlu
You should try the "Bus Pirate" From Dangerous Prototypes.
It is a great hack tool to use to probe most protocols.
It is also quite cheap (30 USD incl. shipment).
http://dangerousprototypes.com/bus-pirate-manual/
It is the tool I am using for my K3
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
mavogs
mavogs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Hi!

I tried to access the serial port but was not successful.
First of all the 1.8V were not able to supply my level shifter (74AVC4T245 which requires about 2mA@1.8V).
This I solved by using the 3.3V Volt from my usb to serial adapter to generate the 1.8V (using Zener diode and a resistor).
There is no communication on the serial port, I also checked with an osziloscope.

Do I have to enable something to see the boot log and access the device?

I am using a Kindle 3 3G (non US) with firmware version 3.1.

BR
Martin
mavogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #18
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
@mavogs, You can see activity on this port only 1-2 min after beginning reboot. After loading framework, you have ~60sec to enter login and password in console, if not, port will be disabled.
If your USB->Serial adapter, based on FT232 or PL2303 you can use it directly without level shifter. You must connect 1.8V from Kindle to VCCIO pin on converter (For FT232RL it is pin 4).
See my simple schematic:
http://www.siralex.info/2011/05/19/k...-line-adapter/
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Another one for bdaddy :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3-plug2.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	73176  
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
mavogs
mavogs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
@Sir Alex: On my USB to Serial Converter the pin power supplies are hardwired, so I can not supply directly. Nevertheless my levelshiter is a proven solution, so I do not expect any problems with it.
My problem is that I am not able draw 2mA from the 1.8V pin and that there is no acitity on the pins at all during boot or later. As I expland in my first posting I checked with an osziloscope.
So there is no need to acitvate something. hmm, I will check it again.

BR
Martin
mavogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
derpeter
derpeter began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3wifi
Hi Guys

We reading this forum for a while but know we are stuck with a bricked kindle and need your help.

We managed to brick the kindle during toying around with the "jailbreak"
We restored everything the jailbreak does with a recovery.sh an checked all md5sum supplied by the amazon update.

Some files had wrong md5sum so we restored this files without luck.

The kindle is in a boot loop (linux is up but the gui crashes 3 times and then tells us to call amazon).

We build a serial connector and use a buspirat. We can see the output of the kindle but cant enter anything (we see a echo but its seems not to drop into the shell on the kindle).

We described everything in the buspirat forum http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum...p=24071#p24071

maybe some of you who used the buspirat can have a look at the settings we use and point us to our mistake.

Any other hint on how to unbrick / debug are very welcome too.

Last edited by derpeter; 07-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.
derpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
Kada
Kada began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,
First thanks for the plug design, it works great!
At first I had to open the K3 to check continuity, because the TX pin did not touch the metal. Maybe that's your problem, derpeter?
By doing so I also inspected the connector from the inside, and I don't see the need for a notch (but two of the pins can be made shorter).
I also used a bus pirate, but getting the 1.8V from the Kindle did not work: there seems to be a 51Kohms resistor inside, and the BP draws too much current (ie has a too small resistor). Could somebody confirm this? Getting the power from a standard 1.5V battery worked though (it reads 1.6V). Not sure if it is safe to have RX greater than Vpullup. When I plug Vpullup on the K3's 1.8V pin, it drops to 0.4V. Maybe you should check the voltages, derpeter.
If you tell us which files you need we could perhaps send them to you.
Kada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
To avoid cross-posting, you can read how to convert between 1.8v TTL and 3.3v or 5v TTL using only one resistor and two diodes for input, and one resistor and one diode for output:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15&postcount=5

EDIT: Here is the schematic for the level shifter circuit described above:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897643

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #24
Shikhin
Shikhin began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but if anyone can make a plug for me (even better if an entire cable), I can pay them. I would love to have one for experimenting with the Kindle 3, but I don't have any of the materials to make one.
Sorry for bumping an old thread too, but I have the same problem as yifanlu. For me, I neither have the material, nor the experience to make the plug/cable myself. If someone could, I'd certainly be grateful, and willing to pay. Certainly, I'm new here, and don't know many people, so I'm not sure how many will reply..
Shikhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikhin View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread too, but I have the same problem as yifanlu. For me, I neither have the material, nor the experience to make the plug/cable myself. If someone could, I'd certainly be grateful, and willing to pay. Certainly, I'm new here, and don't know many people, so I'm not sure how many will reply..
Do you have access to a computer with an RS-232 serial port?

If not, you need a USB serial adapter.

Either way, you need the special connector for a Kindle 3. I plan to make one using simple easily obtainable ingredients, such as thin plastic (old credit card or CD cover), aluminum foil (or copper foil). I will do one method for soldering, and another that uses conductive paint from an auto parts store (for repairing a rear window defogger/defroster). I will document this (with photos and video). The non-soldering method is needed because many people said they did not want to solder. Conductive paint is somewhat expensive, but it will last a long time when used as a solder replacement.

Where are you located (I will have extra prototypes)?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
Shikhin

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Do you have access to a computer with an RS-232 serial port?
I certainly have one, but, I'd prefer the USB serial adapter, of course. I found one at - http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/203...reg1v8-we.html and I suppose it's good enough?

Quote:
Either way, you need the special connector for a Kindle 3. I plan to make one using simple easily obtainable ingredients, such as thin plastic (old credit card or CD cover), aluminum foil (or copper foil). I will do one method for soldering, and another that uses conductive paint from an auto parts store (for repairing a rear window defogger/defroster). I will document this (with photos and video). The non-soldering method is needed because many people said they did not want to solder. Conductive paint is somewhat expensive, but it will last a long time when used as a solder replacement.
I can solder, of course. Your idea seems cool, and the easily obtainable ingredients are certainly easily available unlike several other cases..

When do you plan on finishing the documentations?

Quote:
Where are you located (I will have extra prototypes)?
If you could provide me the special connector for K3 ALONG with the USB serial cable, I'd be delighted. On the other hand, if you can't provide both of them, and your "simple-to-make" method works, I'd rather not pay for two shippings and would make the connector myself (and order the serial cable from digikey).

I live in India. New Delhi. Would be happy to provide all information via PM if wanted.

Regards,
Shikhin
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #27
Shikhin

Hi,

Doh - unless, of course, you wanna provide free shipping from US to India - then I'd agree to get anything from you.

P.S. Keep in mind that 100$ in US wouldn't mean much, but in India, I could buy LOADS of stuff in 100$. So it makes a difference..

Regards,
Shikhin
Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #28
Shikhin

(bump)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
geekmaster

I was travelling this weekend. I just got back. No time to work on a serial plug (yet). Soon...
If you have access to a piece of circuit board, you can cut out traces manually with a hobby knife. A knife with a V-shaped blade works the best.

You may have to grind down the circuit board to be thinner to fit in the kindle 3 slot.

As mentioned earlier, I want to figure out a simple way to make a connector from common materials.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
geekmaster

Shikhin - what metal foils do you have available? Do you have tools to solder wires to foil?