Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #31
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I've read everything on the list except Wuthering Heights. I tried, but I never could get into that one. Most of the list is in my read over and over category. But I must admit I've only read the Bible all the way through once. There are parts of Leviticus and Deuteronomy that don't bear repeating.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I discovered some years ago that the reason those parts are in there is so that you can read them aloud to church-campers to make them go to sleep at night. Very effective.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #33
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
'Angels and Demons' or 'Digital Fortress' are much better litterary works than The Code. The 'Code' was mostly favored for the Taboo it brought. Then again, book choices are just as personal as favorite movies.
Yep, book choices are very personal. I hated 'Angels and Demons' -- I couldn't understand why my friends loved it. Huge plot holes right from the start that killed it for me-- I don't want to spoil it for anyone else though...

If you like fun adventure books like this, give Clive Cussler a try. His dialog is sometimes fairly stilted, but his ideas are fun-- usually there's a historical event that ties in with a James Bond type world-threatening dilemma. I like the older books from the 70's and 80's the best.

His 'Raise the Titanic' was a very entertaining book that was made into a bad movie.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #34
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Another great book not yet mentioned is Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Coo Coos Nest" Additionally, it was one of the best full length books to film conversions I can remember.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #35
taralon
Enthusiast
taralon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Clive's books were good up to about the Viking one... Valhalla Rising? After that they aren't worth the money. Sahara is IMHO the best of the series...
taralon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #36
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Cussler. Thanks! I'll read that.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #37
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Cussler. Thanks! I'll read that.
My first venture into Cussler was "Atlantis Found" Great book that moved at a quick pace. Not sure what's other's favorites, perhaps another thread though so I don't hijack this one . One more thing, the series is called his "Dirk Pitt" series, so you can find all you need and in what order they are off of Amazon (my fav book "research" site).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
1. Battlefield: Earth - I read most of the series; the movie totally sucked and had little to do with the series.
I think you may be getting slightly mixed up. "Battlefield Earth" was a single book, not a series (and an excellent book, too). He also wrote a 10 volume series called "Mission Earth" which was absolutely dreadful.

Quote:
Hope they don't butcher the Pulman series when it comes out; His Dark Materials - Amber Spyglass
I rather fear they will, because (as you know) the books have a rather "anti-religious" message which I suspect that, if they left it in, would pretty much kill a film in the US market, Americans being a pretty religious lot on the whole.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #39
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Point taken Harry, I thought the 10-book series was a continuation of Battlefield: Earth; apparently I was wrong. It's been at least 15 or so years since I read the series, I seemed to have enjoyed it at the time, but now I see a lot of people saying there was a bit of Scientology snuck into the series. Can't say that I remember that too much, but it was a while back, and before that belief-system became aa prevalent as it is today. I'm almost scared to pick it back up again... Perhaps I've already had my neurons bathed...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
"Battlefield Earth" was a single book(an excellent book).
I liked the book a lot, however the movie was horrible
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #41
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Ha ha was that the one with John Travolta? If yes I agree, that movie was BADDDDDDD........
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's the one. Blechk.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #43
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Hmmm this is what we have online... I really need to add the Bible but it takes a long long time to add such a book and I can't make a single mistake on this one...

1. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.
3. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.
7. "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte.
10. "Great Expectation" by Charles Dickens.

Overall, I've read 6 out of these books, not that bad...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #44
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Just for fun I checked the current Top 10 sellers at the US Amazon site. (I have excluded the pre-orders for HP #7 and the audio books.) Here is the list:
1. "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne (editor)
2. "In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing" by Lee Woodruff and Bob Woodruff
3. "Woman & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny" by Suze Orman
4. "A Long Way Gone: Memories of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah
5. "You On A Diet:The Owner's Manual for Waist Management" by Mehmet Oz and Michael Roizen
6. "The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't" by Robert Sutton
7. "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
8. "Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don't Want" by Michael Losier
9. "The Watchman: A Joe Pike Novel: by Robert Crais
10. "Baseball Prospectus 2007: The Essential Guide to the 2007 Baseball Season" by Christina Kahrl (editor) and Steven Goldman (editor)
Of the books on the list I have read none. Yet somehow this makes me feel good about myself.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #45
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Another great book not yet mentioned is Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Coo Coos Nest" Additionally, it was one of the best full length books to film conversions I can remember.

Funny enough one of the best conversions I have ever seen is from the self-same James Bond series that otherwise has many of the worst. "On Her Majesties Secret Service" was one of the few that had anything to do with the book, and it was, to me, a great conversion.
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote