Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Remove Formatting

Ref: Format Menu

What is the "Remove Formatting" [Ctl+Space] supposed to do?

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

The flippant answer is: remove formatting

The slightly less flippant answer is: if, for example, you highlight a piece of text that is in italics and press control-space Sigil will remove the italics. Hence remove formatting.
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
The flippant answer is: remove formatting

The slightly less flippant answer is: if, for example, you highlight a piece of text that is in italics and press control-space Sigil will remove the italics. Hence remove formatting.
The same end can be achieved by clicking the Italics button.

Of more use would be that all tags be removed from highlighted text allowing the text to be easily re-formatted.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
The same end can be achieved by clicking the Italics button.

Of more use would be that all tags be removed from highlighted text allowing the text to be easily re-formatted.
I am glad yo asked the question.
And I agree the "Clearing all formatting from selected text would clear out some of the OMG messes I have seen. I would expectthat the selected text would remove ALL but the <p>... </p> enclosed tags and selectors.

The ballon help and manual could be a little more verbose in this area
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am glad yo asked the question.
And I agree the "Clearing all formatting from selected text would clear out some of the OMG messes I have seen. I would expectthat the selected text would remove ALL but the <p>... </p> enclosed tags and selectors.

The ballon help and manual could be a little more verbose in this area
I would like to see a way to highlight a sequence of paragraphs and either remove the <p>....</p> so that the sequence can be pulled into a single paragraph in the code or to perform this automatically.

I would like to format and post some of the old pulp fiction magazines but the only format available is pdf in two column format. All of the PDF2HTML tools I've tried formats each line as a paragraph, which is understandable. This requires manual editing of each line. Very carefully!

I'm sure there is a simpler way to do this but I'm not smart enough to build or find them.

I love the old pulps and I'm sure that there are other fans out there. Perhaps some day.

Edit: A PS
If every thing highlighted had all tags removed and then enclosed in <p>...</p> that should meet all requirements becaiuse it would allow further editing into whatever format desired.

Last edited by crutledge; 09-15-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I would like to format and post some of the old pulp fiction magazines but the only format available is pdf in two column format. All of the PDF2HTML tools I've tried formats each line as a paragraph, which is understandable. This requires manual editing of each line. Very carefully!
I've just managed this sort of thing, by using ABBYY Finereader 9.0, An OCR program, it reads the pdf as images rather than text, so some spelling is missed, but the more important thing was the layout was sorted and was much easier than doing it by hand.
As you said, had to be done very carefully.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote