Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechan View Post
Mr. Maltby, I think I can get what you are saying. Have never tried it this way. But what happens when you "return" the books on your PC and borrow new ones from the library? When you connect the SD card in a card reader to your PC, will the ADE program not invalidate the older books as it is downloading the newer books to the card? This is what it does to the Libre internal memory. Does it behave differently with the card?

This would be great if it works thus, for some of the more popular fiction titles, there is such a long wait list it's hard to predict when your turn comes up.
Insert the SD card with the .adobe-digital-editions folder and open ADE on your computer.

- you will see your SD card as a bookshelf on the left column.

- click on your SD Card.

For List mode, which is what I use:

- On the right column, you will see all of your books.

- If your borrowed book has 5 days before it is due, you will see "5 days" under the status column.

- You will be able to open and read your "not yet expired" borrowed books in ADE.

- You will not see anything under the status column for expired books.

- You will not be able open and read your expired books in ADE.

Once you reinsert your SD card into your Jetbook, you will be able to read all of your books, including your expired books.

In short, your library books never expire on on your Jetbook / Jetbook Lite.

Edited to add the following in response to Ken's thread below:

Forgot to mention that to add newly borrowed books to the SD card that already has expired books, DO NOT copy the books directly over to the SD card in ADE.

While you will be able to read these newly borrowed books in ADE, you will not be able to do so on your Jetbook/Jetbook Lite.

I always copy the newly borrowed books to the internal memory of the Jetbook and move them over to the SD card OUTSIDE of ADE using windows explorer.

Ken: it seems that while ADE does not do anything to the expired books on the SD card, it does not properly decript / or refuses to decript new books onto the same card.

Cheers

Last edited by hiaig; 09-12-2010 at 01:10 PM.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechan View Post
Mr. Maltby, I think I can get what you are saying. Have never tried it this way. But what happens when you "return" the books on your PC and borrow new ones from the library? When you connect the SD card in a card reader to your PC, will the ADE program not invalidate the older books as it is downloading the newer books to the card? This is what it does to the Libre internal memory. Does it behave differently with the card?

This would be great if it works thus, for some of the more popular fiction titles, there is such a long wait list it's hard to predict when your turn comes up.
I assume that it would work that way, that the ADE management of the
"library" area that corresponds with the SD card would take place as soon as
ADE detects the SD card being connected. So loaned books that have been
returned or have expired would be dealt with just the same as if the SD card
were really the device ADE thinks it is. You might not want to expose that
card to ADE until you are done with the books on the card.

I don't know if ADE can tell if an SD card is an exact copy of one it is
managing, or how it would react if it could. But the copy that is not exposed
to ADE would remain readable in in your device, until it is exposed. Your device
should not care which SD card it is dealing with, just that there are valid files
in the adobe folders of the SD card.

**A note of reality: I do not own a "Libre". I do own a couple JBLs with the
0.16e firmware. Also, I no longer have the ADE software on my PC.**

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
Insert the SD card with the .adobe-digital-editions folder and open ADE on your computer.

- you will see your SD card as a bookshelf on the left column.

- click on your SD Card.

For List mode, which is what I use:

- On the right column, you will see all of your books.

- If your borrowed book has 5 days before it is due, you will see "5 days" under the status column.

- You will be able to open and read your "not yet expired" borrowed books in ADE.

- You will not see anything under the status column for expired books.

- You will not be able open and read your expired books in ADE.

Once you reinsert your SD card into your Jetbook, you will be able to read all of your books, including your expired books.

In short, your library books never expire on on your Jetbook / Jetbook Lite.

Edited to add the following in response to Ken's thread below:

Forgot to mention that to add newly borrowed books to the SD card that already has expired books, DO NOT copy the books directly over to the SD card in ADE.

While you will be able to read these newly borrowed books in ADE, you will not be able to do so on your Jetbook/Jetbook Lite.

I always copy the newly borrowed books to the internal memory of the Jetbook and move them over to the SD card OUTSIDE of ADE using windows explorer.

Ken: it seems that while ADE does not do anything to the expired books on the SD card, it does not properly decript / or refuses to decript new books onto the same card.

Cheers
Hmm... it sounds like you have established two devices in ADE, one your
real device and one an SD card, is that right? Do you have two "manifest.xml"
files, one in the internal memory and one on the SD card?

I bow to your superior experience with this approach, you seem to have it
worked out much further than I.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... it sounds like you have established two devices in ADE, one your
real device and one an SD card, is that right? Do you have two "manifest.xml"
files, one in the internal memory and one on the SD card?

I bow to your superior experience with this approach, you seem to have it
worked out much further than I.

Luck;
Ken

Hi Ken, the manifest.xml on the SD card is the same as the one on the Jetbook. same device serial and same fingerprint.

I still haven't quite figured out why copying books to the SD card directly in ADE will not work on the Jetbook yet works fine in ADE.

This is certainly worth further investigation.

Cheers
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Hi Ken, the manifest.xml on the SD card is the same as the one on the Jetbook. same device serial and same fingerprint.

I still haven't quite figured out why copying books to the SD card directly in ADE will not work on the Jetbook yet works fine in ADE.

This is certainly worth further investigation.

Cheers
You don't have the SD card in your Jetbook when you connect to your PC
with the USB cable, do you? I don't know how ADE would react to seeing
two identical manifest.xml and device.xml files on two different logical USB
devices, at the same time. The same would go with having the SD card
plugged into a PC reader and your device connected via the USB cable, at
the same time.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #21
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Thanks to all for your answers. Had kind of a "duh" moment. Expose one or the other (SD card or device without SD card) to ADE but not both. Now I'm back in line for two of the books I had previously checked out.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #22
hiaig
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You don't have the SD card in your Jetbook when you connect to your PC
with the USB cable, do you? I don't know how ADE would react to seeing
two identical manifest.xml and device.xml files on two different logical USB
devices, at the same time. The same would go with having the SD card
plugged into a PC reader and your device connected via the USB cable, at
the same time.

Luck;
Ken
It is quite interesting because it doesn't matter.

- SD card in card reader / Jetbook not connected - transfer new books directly in ADE - can read in ADE but not on Jetbook.

- Jetbook internal connected to computer via USB - transfer new books into internal memory in ADE - disconnect USB - move books to SD Card - can read in ADE and in Jetbook.

- Jetbook with SD card inserted connected to computer via USB - ADE will see both Jetbook + SD in bookshelf
(a) transfer books to SD in ADE - can read in ADE but not on Jetbook
(b) transfer books to internal - use windows explorer to transfer books to SD - disconnect jetbook from USB - can read in ADE and on Jetbook.

Weird Huh?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:

- SD card in card reader / Jetbook not connected - transfer new books directly in ADE - can read in ADE but not on Jetbook.

- Jetbook internal connected to computer via USB - transfer new books into internal memory in ADE - disconnect USB - move books to SD Card - can read in ADE and in Jetbook.

- Jetbook with SD card inserted connected to computer via USB - ADE will see both Jetbook + SD in bookshelf
(b) transfer books to internal - use windows explorer to transfer books to SD - disconnect jetbook from USB - can read in ADE and on Jetbook.

Weird Huh?
Well that sounds like a very workable way to do it then, and should be the
preferred method for many. I personally prefer to not expose my JBL to ADE
since it can be avoided.

It sounds to me like Jetbook's Adobe Reader Mobile defaults to using the
"manifest.xml" in the internal memory. You probably don't need to have ADE
"authorize" or manage your SD card at all, and you only need the
"digital-editions" folder with your book files and the subfolders, on the SD.

Your approach, having your Jetbook's internal memory as an authorized
device as well as an SD card, is something different than what I was
proposing. I would not have my actual device's internal memory recognized
as a device that ADE could "authorize".

I am suggesting that you can have the SD card be the device, as far as ADE
is concerned and not have ADE interact with your actual device/Jetbook at
all. No USB cable required. No Adobe files or folders in your device's internal
memory.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:

Weird Huh?
An experiment you could try:

First backup your current internal memory to a folder on your PC's hard drive.

Then delete all the Adobe folders, in your jetbook internal memory.

Finally, try your first process over again.

If ADE is seeing your SD card as a valid device it should update the
"manifest.xml" file on the SD card and you should be able to read the added
book when you put the SD card into your JBL.

After you have run the experiment you would replace the Adobe folders into
your internal memory, from the backup folder you made earlier.

Luck
Ken

P.S.; It might still fail because ADE knows there are two devices with the same ID,
but it could work. Either way it should tell us something.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #25
lisajjb
Enthusiast

Quote:

This worked for me. Attempts to do it other ways gave me a "failed to open file" message on my Libre. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #26
OhioCruffler
OhioCruffler began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Well guys, I have to admit (and admire) that this was about the most complete and thorough thread hijack I have ever seen.

Seriously, glad we had a good discussion from such a little post to start! Lots of good stuff here.
OhioCruffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #27
lisajjb
Enthusiast

Quote:

Cheers
So if I were to buy a reader with an internal clock (let's say a new Sony), first of all can I just stick my SD card into my new reader and it will see all my books? And what does it do to the expired library books that my Libre didn't know were expired?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
Sorry to continue on the vein of the thread hijack, but since this internal memory-SD card issue has been discussed so extensively here I wanted to post this question here.

I just ADE- authorized my wife's Libre on my PC. When I examined the PCs Digital Editions folder there is a manifest.xml there. There is also a manifest.xml in the Libre's internal memory inside the Digital Editions folder. I don't find a file called device.xml (is this the same as the manifest.xml in the internal memory?) I presumed that the term device.xml was a shortcut for the xml in the internal memory to distinguish it from the one in the PC. Am I right?

So that if I wanted to continue reading a library-expired book and so transferred it from internal memory to the SD card (in case I needed to download a new book into the internal memory) do I just have to put the book file, and a copy of manifest xml into a new Digital Editions folder to replicate the root heirarchy and transfer the cluster to the SD card, and remove the SD card from the Libre before I connect the Libre to ADE? Is this how it would work?
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The ".adobe-digital-editions" folder is a hidden folder that you will only see with your
PC's file utilities when you have the JBL connected through the USB cable. Right after
the 0.16e update, the folder only has the "device.xml" file. That file describes the
device to the ADE program so that ADE can "authorize" the device. After that it may
not be needed.

The ADE creates a "Digital Editions" folder and the "manifest.xml" file in the device
memory (in this case the device would be your Libre). Given the limited size of the
internal memory, you would probably like to copy the "Digital Editions" folder to your
SD card, and store your books there. You can use your PC's file handling utilities to
move the ebooks that ADE puts into the internal memory "digital editions" folder over
to your SD card. You should not need to move the manifest.xml as the one in your
authorized device's memory is the one that the reader references to read your ebooks.
You can just move the ebook files, freeing the space on your internal memory.

According to Mr. Hiaig, who has much more experience in this than I, expired library
books remain readable in the device even though not so in ADE's reader on the PC.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Following the suggestions here, I have moved the library books out of internal memory onto an SD card. So hopefully next time I hook up to ADE to d/l books, I can still read the ones on the card!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote