Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #31
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I don't mean to doubt you but this demo shows it more doa than fully functional.

http://amazonbookworm.com/2010/07/07...at-cebit-2010/
Unresponsive is not anyone's idea of a good demo, this needs more than ironing out the bugs, it needs dry cleaning.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
That video looked more like user error - the guy demoing the product didn't seem to realise that it had a touch screen and was searching the side of the case for buttons. When he touched the screen for the first time he pressed it too gently for it to register and when he pressed it more firmly it worked fine.

Demo machines can get into trouble though - when I was looking at ereaders in shops I found that half of them had stopped working for one reason or another. A Sony Touch was stuck in demo mode 2 out of 3 times, I could never test the Bebook Mini as it was always non-functional and one Neo had a broken screen. Though the Cybook Opus and Sony 300 were always working where ever I went.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Fair enough, I am not of the same opinion, but you have a point.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #34
enderby
enderby began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Definite vaporware. I have waited many months for the phantom Asus. The new Kindle DX uses the newer pearl e-ink and now supports more formats. Clarity is important to me, so my ereader must not have a touch screen. Eventually there will be a comparable unit for less $$, but that is true of all electronics.
Asus may as well say their unit hovers in midair for reading and washes the dishes. Hard to disprove since it is doubtful the thing will be sold anytime soon. No mention of it on their website since it is not really a planned product with an anticipated release date.
I am buying the Kindle for the same reason I bought a TV in 1975 instead of waiting until 2015 when they will no doubt be better and cheaper. It is not my first ereader and will not be the last.
enderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderby View Post
...Asus may as well say their unit hovers in midair for reading and washes the dishes. Hard to disprove since it is doubtful the thing will be sold anytime soon...
Okay, that was funny.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be true, but it was funny.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderby View Post
Definite vaporware.
I guess only time will tell. I believe the product was ready in April but there were problems in the supply of the new Sipix screens which they stated would delay production until August (next month). The DXG is a great machine so I suggest you buy it (I personally have a Kindle 2i) but to others who might have a little more patience and want a 9" ereader to simply wait to see what (if anything) comes out in August from Asus.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote