Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And Nokia may yet come up with something decent, multimediawise they have some advantages.
Many people already feel that phones like the Nokia N95 are considerably more capable than the iPhone, especially for the needs of the business user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #92
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Unfortunately what you cannot do on the iphone are exactly some of the things that I want to do. Never said you are a fanboy. But, by the same token, not everyone who points out some negative aspects is "uninformed" or "unfair".
Right, then, the iPhone is not for you
I never said it was the Eierlegende Wollmilchsau (swiss army knife of phones) and I didn't want to imply you were unfair because you're not.

I guess it goes both ways. Blind preachers of his Jobsness and those who see in him the antichrist

Then there's us in the middle.

Today I received a photo by MMS, improved it with the Photoshop App on my iPhone, then sent it on. Brave new world!

Regarding business users: I think that the iPhone can't accept faxes, apparently something a lot of business users still need.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #93
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Well, let's make something clear: there is a market for iPhone as there is one for Nokia. There is a market for iMac as there is one for PC. And, there will be a market for iSlate (let's use this name, for now), as there is one for Sony PRS-600 and Kindle.

Each product has advantages and disadvantages. I don't think it's fair to start bashing a product or people that use it just because that specific product does not fit your needs. Each product is intended to serve a specific segment and companies make efforts to identify the needs and wants of that specific segment. So far, wheter some people like it or not, or want to admit or not, Apple proved to be a successful company - if you look at the share prices over the last five years, you cannot deny this: it went from $34 in 2005 to +$210 now! Add M$ to the chart and you will see that their share price stayed constant over these five years (+12.84%), while Apple registered an increase of 555%! In my eyes, that says a lot!

Let me put it in another words: there is Rolex and Timex. Both products show the time, however, they are clearly intended for different people (or markets, since people make the market) with the same NEED (they need to know the time), but different WANTS (and pockets). Saying that whoever buys a Rolex is snob is unfair. Same goes for the auto industry: some people would never spend more than $15-20K on a new car and will always buy a Hyundai or KIA, while others prefer to drive in the luxury offered by a Mercedes-Benz. They both arrive at their destination, of course, but in a different way!

Returning to the topic: I am sure that Apple did their homework prior to developing and launching the iSlate. I, personally, have always wondered how come they don't have a true e-reader - let's face it: iPhone and iPod can be used for this purpose but, in my opinion, the screen size is a major drawback (again, I know that some of you have iPods and read books on it. I, personally, am not part of that segment - so, here we come back again to market segmentation). If the new iSlate will incorporate a reader with a web browser, a multimedia player and a 10-12" colour screen, plus wi-fi internet connectivity, I think that its success is guaranteed. There is definitively a market for this kind of gadget - after all, I know people that use their computer just for browsing the internet, downloading music and movies, and for e-mail or other kind of social communication. Pricing it at around $1000 seems to be right, for me, although, as I said, I will not rush to buy it right away. I am sure that in one year the prices will drop, so, I'd better wait until then.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #94
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
[QUOTE=crutnacker;725261]
[*]Too expensive [QUOTE]

It's an Apple product. It will cost between 25 & 50 percent more than a similar non-Apple product. It will also be between 50 & 100 percent better than a similar non-Apple product. And it will last longer than a similar non-Apple product. the only question is, what similar non-Apple product are we talking about?

[QUOTE][*]No keyboard[QUOTE]

You mean, I think, no PHYSICAL keyboard. I wonder. I have a blue tooth Apple keyboard & a blue tooth Apple mouse. I would be astonished if they don't turn out to work with the iSlate.

[QUOTE][*]Battery life (if my iPhone is any indication)[QUOTE]

I'll bet the battery will last 6 hours. Anything short of that would require the user to lug a charger around.

[QUOTE][*]Display (if they intend for this to be an e-reader, it better be pleasing to the eye for long periods of time)[QUOTE]

It will be. The question is whether you will have to make manual adjustments to reach the comfort level. The better iPhone reader apps do this.

[QUOTE][*]Not different enough from what I already own.[QUOTE]

What you already own is, of course, irrelevant to the rest of us. But your deeper point is, I think, that the iSlate has to fit an empty niche in the electronic gadget ecology, or be much better than something that already exists. Otherwise, why spend the money?

[QUOTE][*]Portability vs. durability [QUOTE]

The iPhone is surprisingly durable, and I would therefore expect the iSlate to be, as well.

Portability - aye, there's the rub. How much will it weigh? How big will it be? Personally, I find the Kindle DX a little too big and a little too heavy. Therefore, I conclude that the iSlate will be smaller than the DX and weigh less. This is because I wear a size 40R suit, which, as we all used to know, it the perfectly average size.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #95
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
Returning to the topic: I am sure that Apple did their homework prior to developing and launching the iSlate.
I suppose that's why it has taken so long. They have been waiting for demand to be more than the hardcore mac fanatics and guys who like to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

There are so many iphones now, many people expect a phone or portable electronic device to be 'that' good. The iPhone has seen that Apple experience get more widely distributed. Now many more people have enjoyed that usability focused experience and will be interested in anything branded Apple.

There is a reason people pay more for Apple products. I payed more for my iPhone because at the time no other phone could do what it does, and arguably the other phones are still behind because they don't have the huge range of apps in the Apple appstore. A phone that emphasised ease of use and applications along with a number of innovative features.

I chose macbook pro because at the time (in 2007) Windows was so embarrassingly behind in terms of operating system that it was the only choice for a multimedia professional. Go into any serious photo/video/print environment and you see macs. It's because they are stable as hell, remain fast (no OS slowdown like windows), and have a great UI. Now, in 2010 Windows finally has a real alternative in Windows 7. They have seen the advances of OS X and linux and caught up somewhat (still behind imo).

Apple is always attempting to cash in on their reputation, but in the end the quality of the gear and OS X makes it worth it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bah! Urban Dictionary is useless. Sorry, but I don't buy into it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Not to turn this thread into an iPhone defense thread, but note the following:

1. I can listen to music on a stereo bluetooth headset. I do this every day of my life.
2. I can view video from many sources, just not Flash (yet).
3. I can run IM programs in the "background" by using jailbreak or using an app with notifications.
4. I can listen to music in the background, just not Internet radio. And how does watching TV in the background make any sense?
5. I have a very strong WIFI signal, with few drops, if ever.
6. When I read, I lock the accelerometer just fine in Stanza and the Kindle app.
7. I can re-arrange apps where I want them to be. What else do you need to do on a phone?
And you'll not be able to make a call cause the battery will be dead before you get to making the call. This is why I like a device that does what the device is meant to do. So when I want to do something, I'll have the battery left to do it. Sure, the iPhone can do lots of things. But those lots of things eat up the battery.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Remember one very very very important Apple fact.

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! Buy a 1st release of ANY Apple product. Apple is well known for screwing the customer by doing things like lowering the price and/or coming out with an improved model for no more money or even less money. Just take a look at the iPhone and what they did to customers.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #99
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! Buy a 1st release of ANY Apple product. Apple is well known for screwing the customer by doing things like lowering the price and/or coming out with an improved model for no more money or even less money. Just take a look at the iPhone and what they did to customers.
I bought the first release of the iPhone...didn't have any issues with it. And the first unibody Macbook, which works great.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #100
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
And you'll not be able to make a call cause the battery will be dead before you get to making the call.
Just swap the...

...oh right, they GLUED it in.

DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #101
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bah! Urban Dictionary is useless. Sorry, but I don't buy into it.
Don't buy into what? That the Jonestown Massacre was the origin of the phrase "drinking the Kool-aid?"

Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #102
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Remember, if it's shiny and made by Apple, it can be a solar toilet plunger and the fan boys will swoon and swarm.

Not that there's anything wrong with a solar toilet plunger. I just know the fan base all too well.
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #103
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrouton View Post
Remember, if it's shiny and made by Apple, it can be a solar toilet plunger and the fan boys will swoon and swarm.

Not that there's anything wrong with a solar toilet plunger. I just know the fan base all too well.
There are fan boys and girls for any product of worth. Doesn't mean you have to be an jerk about them.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #104
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! Buy a 1st release of ANY Apple product. Apple is well known for screwing the customer by doing things like lowering the price and/...
Apple does this... Apple does that... etc. etc etc.

Well, folks, this is a well known marketing strategy, called Price Skimming - see here. This was not invented by Apple, nor is Apple the only company that uses it. There is even an example at the bottom of that page that says...
Quote:
With certain high-end electronics, such as the Apple iPhone and Sony PlayStation 3, price skimming was used. For instance, the Playstation 3 was originally sold at $599, but it has been gradually reduced to $299.
Since this turns against Apple, let's talk about Microsoft: wouldn't you be happy to see that their prices go down after the first year? But, no, they keep the price from day one till the end, because the market accepts the price! And, yet, we only see Apple!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, Microsoft lowered the pre-release price of Windows 7 until it was released.