Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
weirichk
weirichk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
Rebooting when selecting DRM'd ebook

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. The vast majority of my ebooks are DRM free and in epub format. However, I have purchased a few books through the Sony store because they are only available DRM'd. And I believe they are LRF format. Almost every time I go to "open" one of those books my ereader reboots itself. Upon trying the second time it then opens the ebook. And then, when I try to open a non-DRM'd epub book the reader reboots itself again.

Does anyone else experience this behaviour? It is quite annoying in an otherwise fine ebook reader.

-Kurt
weirichk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have the 505 and haven't had this problem. Hopefully, a member with more experience will chime in with some help or point you to a thread with additional information.

If you are getting the book from the Sony store then yes it is DRM'd but called lrx. (non DRM is the lrf format).

Are you using the Sony eBook Library to transfer the book to your Reader? or Calibre?

I found that on my 505, if I don't use the eBook Library to load the books, that it will take a while to repagnate and open the first time.

Could you give some additional information so we may help?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
weirichk

Sorry, I meant lrx not lrf
Yes, I use the Sony eBook Library software (I find it very poorly designed but I use it). Once I get my new PC up and running I am going to spend some time and see if I like Calibre better.

-Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I have the 505 and haven't had this problem. Hopefully, a member with more experience will chime in with some help or point you to a thread with additional information.

If you are getting the book from the Sony store then yes it is DRM'd but called lrx. (non DRM is the lrf format).

Are you using the Sony eBook Library to transfer the book to your Reader? or Calibre?

I found that on my 505, if I don't use the eBook Library to load the books, that it will take a while to repagnate and open the first time.

Could you give some additional information so we may help?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
weirichk

I tried the following:
1. I deleted the books from the reader and PC, redownloaded and sycned them.
2. A soft-reset
3. A hard reset
None of them eliminated the problem.

So I contacted Sony support; first via chat which was a waste of time and then on the phone. After talking with the service tech they decided I had a defective unit and are sending me a new one

Of course, after I got off the phone with tech support I saw the email that announced that on 12/11 all ebooks from the sony store will be in epub format, which work fine on my reader. But I'd rather have a working reader anyways.

-Kurt
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirichk View Post
I tried the following:
1. I deleted the books from the reader and PC, redownloaded and sycned them.
2. A soft-reset
3. A hard reset
None of them eliminated the problem.

So I contacted Sony support; first via chat which was a waste of time and then on the phone. After talking with the service tech they decided I had a defective unit and are sending me a new one

Of course, after I got off the phone with tech support I saw the email that announced that on 12/11 all ebooks from the sony store will be in epub format, which work fine on my reader. But I'd rather have a working reader anyways.

-Kurt
I'm glad to hear that you found a "solution"(Sony sending you a new unit). I hope that it arrives soon and is "problem" free.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert