Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ebook device will you buy?
iRex Iliad 16 43.24%
Sony Reader 12 32.43%
Hanlin V2 (or V8) 6 16.22%
PDA/Smartphone 0 0%
Other device (please specify in comments) 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #31
Leanna99
Leanna99 began at the beginning.

I voted for the Hanlin V2. Although, I have not heard a date for release in the states yet. I have never read an ebook, but I am VERY interested in finding a device that will be able to fit my needs. I want to download books and read them. Why must they have all the extras? Most of the books that I have looked at are in PDF format, so I am looking for a device that supports that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Leanna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #32
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
I voted for the Sony Reader, which I find more elegant overall than the iLiad. The iLiad reminds me of the Newton: larger and more feature-rich. The Reader reminds me of the PalmPilot: smaller, cheaper, more practical for mainstream usage patterns. And I like the fact that the Reader has a cover.

I much prefer its paperback size to something larger that's still not fully A4. I am impressed by the iLiad and wish iRex well, but I'm leery about spending $700 on an unestablished product from an unestablished company whose fate is probably tied to their one product's success or failure. A touchscreen and WiFi would be nice, but not at twice the price. And I still suspect (but hopefully Henrique will disprove) that the iLiad's WiFi implementation is limited to iRex's iDS proxy.

But I'm still holding out for an unequivocal list of which formats Sony supports natively and through conversion. HTML, which was mentioned early on by journalists at CES, hasn't been mentioned in since; and if it's not supported, as it is with the iLiad, the Reader might be a false economy after all.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #33
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The forum has been a bit quiet these past few days, so I thought I'd put up this poll and see whether I can get a few more people to vote than on the Piracy/ebook Poll...

Please post your reasons and if you choose option 4 then give us an idea what you're waiting for.
Well, I'm waiting on an Iliad 'cause their web site won't sell it to me yet.

The local library has e-books in a DRMd .pdf format and in the MobiPocket formate. Sony's 'we are the only authorized place you can get a book' won't cut it with me, not when the library has 5k+ books available to download, most still within copyright (ie, not availble on Project G anytime soon). The Iliad seems on the verge of making the announcement that MobiPocket is a supported format, so for me the decision is a no brainer - higher price now, cheaper over the long run.

Reason for getting an e-book reader is I travel extensively for work and read a lot during those trips. Being able to take fewer books on a trip (last trip I read 14 or 15) would be a relief for both me and the luggage. I've used the Palm for reading, but it is a lot further from an ideal solution than the new generation of devices coming out.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
...not when the library has 5k+ books available to download....
Is that a link you can post?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #35
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Is that a link you can post?
www.cpl.org
Go to e-media from the home page.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent! Thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote