Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Celeblin
Celeblin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Non-english characters input problem

Hi all,

I use Archlinux 64bit version with the 32bit libs installed, and I installed calibre using
Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
with no problem. Then, I launch the application and loads fine, even with the GUI in my language (Spanish), but when I click in "add books" I see that the folder names are with extrange characters, and when I type in the search box it doesn't recognize some ones, appearing wrong.

For example if I type "año" , its showing "año".

The GUI, books names and description, and reading them, show that characters with no problem. And I can write those characters in another app (gedit for example) and paste it in calibre, showing them with no problem too.

edit: I forgot to mention that launching calibre by console gives me:

Code:
[cel@cel-laptop ~]$ calibre
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
link  hasn't been detected!
link  hasn't been detected!
Can somebody tell me what do I do wrong?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Last edited by Celeblin; 06-28-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Celeblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
looks like the Qt iconv plugins are failing to load. Do you have 32 bit versions of the libraries used by those plugins?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Celeblin

Hi and thanks for your support,

I think I should have installed, because I installed all the packages that belong to lib32 group and checked specially the qt ones. I compiled and installed the libiconv (from here) but still getting same problems.

Maybe the 32bit libiconv is not in arch's repositories :S

Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Celeblin

I think I found one "ugly" solution!

I made a script that change the LANG variable from utf8 (default in my system) to iso88591 that is used in Spain too.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
export LANG='es_ES.iso88591' ; calibre
And now, the character input works fine (with same console errors), while I'm searching a real solution. The folders in window of "add books" still show that characters, but the input was the really annoying problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by Celeblin; 06-28-2009 at 02:11 PM.