Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Title and author's Metadata is switched

Hi,

i'm just importing into caliber a HUGE db, but it seems the author and title of each book is mixed up. I know there is an option to edit the meta information, but is there a way to do it in one click for all the books. (bulk edit did not seems to have a switch title author option)

Also in another subject, is it normal it takes over 4+ days to import a book collection to caliber (by recursivity), its about a 25 000 books collection. It is huge i admit, but is it normal it takes so long on a fast computer?

thanks
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah it takes that long because it has to extract the metadata from each book which in some cases means redering html web pages or converting large images into different formats, etc.

As for switching title and author, there isn't an option to do it in bulk. In the advanced section of the config dialog however, you can swap the order in which title and author are detected from the filename (you will have to re-import after doing this).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Student1
Groupie

Thanks for the info... hmm poundering if i should reimport then... going to be a huge hassle to do it manually!! Anyway thanks for the information, now i know my options!!

... hmm might as well do it manually as there seems to be too many things mixed up in the titles anyway. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Student1
Groupie

Well decided to stop the import, 11 000 books are ok, so just have to redo half. Thanks for letting me know about the advanced option again otherwise would of wasted an extra day into importing for nothing!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
xianrex
xianrex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for switching title and author, there isn't an option to do it in bulk. In the advanced section of the config dialog however, you can swap the order in which title and author are detected from the filename (you will have to re-import after doing this).
I have some LRF files, though, that have incorrect metadata, so Calibre isn't looking at the filename to determine the values (is that right? If there is metadata present it doesn't use the regexp). The author and title are reversed in the actual metadata. Is there any other way to fix the data without doing:

Highlight book
Hit 'E' to edit individually
Mouse click "Swap author and title" button
Enter to save record

...for each book?

Thanks!
Christian
xianrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no there isn't
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
ander111
ander111 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think the ability to switch title and author directly in Calibre's Library list (either to a single selected book, or multiple selections) would be a tremendous convenience. After importing new books, I often find that the title and author have been read into each other's places.
ander111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
This facility now exisits in the Bulk Metadata Editing form.

Select all the books you want to have title and author swapped for.
press e for edit. (bulk metadata edit for all selected books in this case)
then Check the check box on the first tab, second row about middle of the form
labeled; Swap title and author.
Click Apply or OK

Last edited by garcle; 01-23-2011 at 10:22 PM.
garcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

I see garcle has explained how this feature exists in calibre and has for quite a while.

If you had gone to the change log titled What's New you might have found the following:

Quote:
Release: 0.6.25 [30 Nov, 2009]

New Features
  • Add option to swap title and author in the Bulk metadata dialog Closes tickets: 3885
The manual is also a good source of information.

It seems to me that this must be open old obsolete thread day. There is a reason you were presented with and Old Thread Warning when posting to this thread.

Please, in the future, if possible avoid reopening dead obsolete threads. There is no harm in asking a question in a new thread (see attached), but don't clutter the thread with obsolete junk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newthread.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	65387  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-23-2011 at 10:37 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote