Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #37726
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Take a look at the Sony a7 Series Cameras...
That's a very nice camera! However, at €1500 (including lens) way over my budget. I was thinking of spending €600-€700, for an entry level/beginners kit. For what I use it for those cameras are more than adequate and I can't justify spemding more on it. However, Sony's got some nice cameras in that price range, too.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #37727
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The light is probably great for helping to keep the eggs warm and I would guess that the activity by the door is enough to deter most predators from stealing the eggs. Smart birds.
Trusting birds. How do they know I won't steal their eggs or eat their young?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #37728
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Did you steal their eggs or eat their young the first time?
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #37729
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Now I'm REALLY wondering if these robins are insane. They've already raised one brood this year, and now there are fresh eggs in the nest. Yes, that's our front door; the one we come in and out by all the time; the one where the UPS and Federal Express people drop off their packages; the one where the neighborhood kids ring the doorbell asking for our grandson, and that's the nest they built in the wreath beside it. The pictures in the spoiler were taken in April, but now these fools are back.

Spoiler:

Quote:
they're working on really well socialized babies ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #37730
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today my favourite English teacher from secondary school came into our store. We chatted a while and I confessed to him that he was the one who motivated me to read. He was always talking about the book he'd read and how much he enjoyed them. He was surprised about this, but liked it.

I can remember after one summer holiday he talked at length about one of the books he read. I can remember it had "swan" in the title, it was set in China, that it was a couple of years old by then and that it was a long book. After some searching I think it must have been Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China. So I've added that to my summer reading list (I always seem to read books set in that region during summer).
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #37731
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Sharpening up my fencing weapons. Well, not actually 'sharpening' them so much as filing out and sanding down the nicks in the edges, then giving them a coat of rust-proofing. In the Thai humidity, if I not properly cared for, they will rust up in a week! And blades tend to break at the point where they've been nicked up, so filing them down makes the blades last a lot longer. The fighting is going to be intense this weekend. There are 196 fencers from 12 different countries entered into this tournament. Competition will be fierce!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #37732
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just returned from a visit to the Chiropractor after a gap of six months since the last session. Pelvis has moved a little and needed realignment, but I'm now good to go, and have been pain free for almost a year .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #37733
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just returned from a visit to the Chiropractor after a gap of six months since the last session. Pelvis has moved a little and needed realignment, but I'm now good to go, and have been pain free for almost a year .
really? that exists?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #37734
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
really? that exists?
Relatively speaking. Cross fingers it goes the same way for you.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #37735
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday I bought a lightbulb die-cutting set. It's very cute, and has several separate parts (the bulb, two filaments, the basic shape of the socket and two different overlays for the socket). We're going to use it for our store.

I just saw that I have a bunch of orange cardstock and thought it would be nice to make a bunch of orange bulbs, staple them on a string and hang them over the counter. As a sort of bunting for the world cup soccer.

However, I hadn't realised that that takes a lot of cutting, since every of the four parts I want in a different colour (orange bulb, light yellow filament, dark grey socket base and a light grey for the socket overlay). I want to make twenty bulbs, which means I have to use my die cutting machine eighty times, then have to glue everything together and staple it to the string. I'm now half way through the cutting.

I'm not so sure it was a good idea.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 AM   #37736
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Yesterday I bought a lightbulb die-cutting set. It's very cute, and has several separate parts (the bulb, two filaments, the basic shape of the socket and two different overlays for the socket). We're going to use it for our store.

I just saw that I have a bunch of orange cardstock and thought it would be nice to make a bunch of orange bulbs, staple them on a string and hang them over the counter. As a sort of bunting for the world cup soccer.

However, I hadn't realised that that takes a lot of cutting, since every of the four parts I want in a different colour (orange bulb, light yellow filament, dark grey socket base and a light grey for the socket overlay). I want to make twenty bulbs, which means I have to use my die cutting machine eighty times, then have to glue everything together and staple it to the string. I'm now half way through the cutting.

I'm not so sure it was a good idea.
Ah, yes! What we would call a real lightbulb moment!

But, I'm sure it will be worth it!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #37737
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Ah, yes! What we would call a real lightbulb moment!

But, I'm sure it will be worth it!
LOL, it was worth it. I put staples through the socket and hung them on a length of fishing wire over the counter. My father liked them so much he also wanted a string of them in the shop window. So I got my die cutter, the die set, paper and a glue pen and told him to have fun. He spend the morning cutting all the pieces and is now glueing them together.

I'm now mentally preparing for one of my least favourite activities: clothes shopping. I need a couple of pairs of new jeans and whilst I can order t-shirts and tops online in the UK it's harder with pants, those I need to try one.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #37738
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Yesterday I made two chicken pot pies for the first time. I froze one and put the other in the fridge. We'll have that one for supper tonight. I'll let you know how the experiment tasted. The pie shell on top of each looks rough. There's a knack for getting the shell out of the pan without breaking it that I haven't mastered.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #37739
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Tomorrow I'm going to order an Erin Condren planner, but I'm still not sure which covers I want. This year she introduced changeable covers so I'm going to allow myself to buy one extra.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #37740
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Starting the task of editing all the photos from this weekend's tournament. Hundreds of 'em that I took and a few that were taken by friends. Looks as if there will be a few 'keepers' in the bunch, including me and my new best friend, 'Zorro-bear!' He's the Mascot of the Royal Thai Navy Fencing Club and was one of the prizes we were given.

What a wonderful way to spend a weekend... so many new friends from all over the world, meeting with them, fencing with them, going out in the evening for dinner and drinks after the event... Delightful!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?