Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
CSS to indent paragraphs and remove spaces

Hi,

I had formatted my book in Word to upload to Kindle, but it wasn't doing what I had hoped so I ran it through word2cleanhtml. With that, however, all the work I did on paragraph indents etc. has disappeared and I get block paragraphs with no indents and an extra space between them.

Can anyone give me the CSS styling to remove spaces between paragraphs and to indent the first line in a paragraph. (If there's something to NOT indent the first paragraph after a heading then that would be perfect.)

Thank you!
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alda View Post
Hi,

I had formatted my book in Word to upload to Kindle, but it wasn't doing what I had hoped so I ran it through word2cleanhtml. With that, however, all the work I did on paragraph indents etc. has disappeared and I get block paragraphs with no indents and an extra space between them.

Can anyone give me the CSS styling to remove spaces between paragraphs and to indent the first line in a paragraph. (If there's something to NOT indent the first paragraph after a heading then that would be perfect.)

Thank you!
Gee! My crystal ball is broken and I can't see your existing CSS nor the classes used in the offending Paragraphs.

p { margin: 0 0 0 0; Text-indent: 1.2em; }
might work if you have no class= for the P tag
or you could have a div tag

h1 + p{ margin: 1em 0 0 0; text-indent: 0; }
Again xtal ball failure is your header a H1

Last edited by theducks; 06-19-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: flip H1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Alda
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Gee! My crystal ball is broken and I can't see your existing CSS nor the classes used in the offending Paragraphs.
Delightful. Do you speak to people that way in real life too, or is that sort of dripping sarcasm reserved for strangers on the internet?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Delightful. Do you speak to people that way in real life too, or is that sort of dripping sarcasm reserved for strangers on the internet?
Yes!
That includes Managers that have no clue.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
+1 to duckies
Help can only be given when the problem is known.
To present it in sufficient details is the duty of the help-seeking one.
You gave a relative description of where your troubles lie, witholding all data needed to fix.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
^^^^
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You can see my style sheet at http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
Alda
Zealot

Many thanks Notjohn. That's very helpful.