Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
hrmcrm
hrmcrm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
How to share bookmarks among network computers?

How can I share bookmarks among network computers?

Our e-books (mobi) are on a network storage drive, and I sometimes read the same book from different computers. The bookmarks stay on each machine, so when I switch machines, I lose my place. Is there a way to store the bookmark file or data in a common spot and link to it from each computer?

Thanks,
Howard
hrmcrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you use epub the bookmarks are stored inside the file itself. So simply convert your books to epub and read that format instead of mobi.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
hrmcrm

Thanks, Kovid. Almost all our e-books are mobi, so I was hoping for a bookmark file that could be shared. Since that is not the case, I'll convert to epub as you suggest when I start a book. The conversion is quick and easy, so it will work fine.
Best regards,
Howard
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can put the entire calibre config directory on your network share, if you want. That will have other sideeffects, however.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
hrmcrm

Some of the network computers run Windows, some Linux. The calibre program directories and files look quite different on different operating systems. I think I better not try cross-connecting anything more than the library.

The various operating systems seem to share the library without problem. They even seem to know the actual sequence of books viewed.

I tested epub bookmarks switching from Linux to Windows, and that worked fine. (It took all of 14 seconds to convert mobi to epub.) I'll stay with using epub files.
Thanks,
Howard
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmcrm View Post
Some of the network computers run Windows, some Linux. The calibre program directories and files look quite different on different operating systems. I think I better not try cross-connecting anything more than the library.

The various operating systems seem to share the library without problem. They even seem to know the actual sequence of books viewed.

I tested epub bookmarks switching from Linux to Windows, and that worked fine. (It took all of 14 seconds to convert mobi to epub.) I'll stay with using epub files.
Thanks,
Howard
Lucky you -- the whole thing seems rather hit-and-miss. Possibly based on Hex's Phase of the Moon Generator (from Terry Pratchett's Interesting Times) and other highly technical reasons, it will either work or not work. I had a linux library I opened in Windows, and everything worked perfectly -- except plugboards didn't have any effect, a fact I found out after sending several hundred books to a few different devices. Sometimes the db can't find the books, since Windows isn't case sensitive for filenames, etc.

Use with care. There is no guarantee that cross-OS usage will work or continue working.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
hrmcrm

You have a ticking time bomb.
It will blow up. The question is only when. (Hint: Usually when you are in a rush)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
hrmcrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
hrmcrm
You have a ticking time bomb.
After reading other threads about network shares, this does indeed seem fraught with peril. I'll leave the network library alone as the backup archive.

I'll try moving the epub file onto the computer for reading, then putting the file with the latest bookmark on the network storage outside the calibre library, and pick up that version onto whatever computer I happen to use next.

I have one computer with two hard drives, both of which dual-boot Windows (same version) and Linux (different versions of the same distribution). This machine has one calibre library on one Windows partition. For about a year, I have accessed that one library from all of the four operating systems, and have had no problems. The clock on the time bomb must be set to somewhere in the future. Time will tell.
Regards,
Howard
Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The bomb may have gone off, already. You may have entries in the library that lack any format, but you haven't noticed it yet. The missing formats most likely are there, but not found due to subtle differences in how the filename and path is read in different filesystems. With luck the file maintenance tools can fix most or all of the errors.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookmark, network, share