Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
What would be your perfect E-reader?

Always liked the physical page turn buttons on the nook simple touch and the wide bezel on the sides. Throw on the Paperwhite 2 light on the Kobo Aura HD screen. Make it flush like the Kobo Aura. Put the sculpted back that's on the Kobo Aura. Take the best of the software of all 3 and merge them. Make it look nice somehow
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The perfect reader?
Kindle Fire HD8.9 at half the weight and price, double the storage and battery life.
The 2012 edition is already as close to a universal reader as I need but the physicality needs tweaking.
(Tried sub-pixel anti-aliasing on FBReader and it is simply the best rendering I've yet seen.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My perfect ereader would be a Nook Simple Touch with the folder capability of the old Sony (not sure if the current one does the same as the one from a couple of years ago). I wouldn't even mind if it had the same sorting capability as a Kindle. I don't need backlighting most of the time and don't really need the additional weight from that.

Yes, I like the pdf capability of the Nook HD, but for day to day reading, it is too heavy and it is harder on the eyes than an ereader.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would love the Kobo Aura, if it didn't have such severe QC issues, it would be about perfect. Small, light weight, lighted, user controlled margins and fonts, flush bezel, 4gb, SD card slot....so much to like! It sounds absolutely perfect! But I am afraid to order one at this time. My Glo is the next best thing.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would love the Kobo Aura, if it didn't have such severe QC issues, it would be about perfect. Small, light weight, lighted, user controlled margins and fonts, flush bezel, 4gb, SD card slot....so much to like! It sounds absolutely perfect! But I am afraid to order one at this time. My Glo is the next best thing.
I'm not sure how bad Kobo's QC really is. Yes, there are a number of people complaining about issues on the Kobo forum here, but how many other people have perfect devices? I know I fall into the latter camp. Remember, the internet skews towards bad, since the people who aren't having issues don't have incentive to go online and complain. Based on some of the support threads (and my own experience with a bad tracking number), Kobo doesn't have the best support system in place, but that's not the same as having horrible product QC.

Or take a different example. When the 2012 KPW launched, a "large" number of people here complained about issues with the light, with color banding dim spots, and other issues. Is that representative of the actual quality of the KPW? I'd say no. My wife has a KPW1 that she bought launch day (pre-ordered, even) and it's been perfect just as my Aura 6" has been perfect.

If you want an Aura but still are worried about Kobo, just wait until they're available in a retail store near you. That will make the return/replacement scenario easier if you run into that. But you probably won't.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
stevenaleach
Enthusiast
stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Android Tablet
32 GB SD card for storage.
5" screen.
Rugged water-resistant case with screen cover.
Massive battery - If it makes it a little thicker and heaver, that's fine - as long as it packs several days worth of continuous use per charge.
No wifi.
No book store
epub and pdf support - any other formats are optional.
stevenaleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

Sony 350 with switch-on glow light.

That's it ........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I'm not sure how bad Kobo's QC really is. Yes, there are a number of people complaining about issues on the Kobo forum here, but how many other people have perfect devices? I know I fall into the latter camp. Remember, the internet skews towards bad, since the people who aren't having issues don't have incentive to go online and complain. Based on some of the support threads (and my own experience with a bad tracking number), Kobo doesn't have the best support system in place, but that's not the same as having horrible product QC.

Or take a different example. When the 2012 KPW launched, a "large" number of people here complained about issues with the light, with color banding dim spots, and other issues. Is that representative of the actual quality of the KPW? I'd say no. My wife has a KPW1 that she bought launch day (pre-ordered, even) and it's been perfect just as my Aura 6" has been perfect.

If you want an Aura but still are worried about Kobo, just wait until they're available in a retail store near you. That will make the return/replacement scenario easier if you run into that. But you probably won't.
My feeling is that the Kobo Aura is the first kobo in a while to have hardware problems. It seems that there are a lot of defective units out there and Kobo is not replacing the majority with better ones. I have not been to the Indigo store yet, but in Canada retailers seem to have abandoned the Aura. Future Shop and Staples had them but now they don't. Walmart guy said they all had to be returned to Kobo. Seems a lot more miss than hit on the QC thing.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My feeling is that the Kobo Aura is the first kobo in a while to have hardware problems. It seems that there are a lot of defective units out there and Kobo is not replacing the majority with better ones. I have not been to the Indigo store yet, but in Canada retailers seem to have abandoned the Aura. Future Shop and Staples had them but now they don't. Walmart guy said they all had to be returned to Kobo. Seems a lot more miss than hit on the QC thing.

Helen
I'm not in Canada, but my local independent bookseller sells Kobo devices. They have the Aura HD, Glo, and Mini, and when I asked about the Aura they said they would get them when their supplier gets them. Since Kobo only directly feeds Chapters/Indigo stores at retail, anywhere else won't have Auras until the supply chain catches up (probably later this month).

Also, I don't know how much stock I'd put in a random Walmart guy saying they had to send theirs back. Unless he was store inventory manager, it's unlikely he knows what's going on.

I'm not saying there aren't issues. I'm just saying that they may be well within industry standard tolerances that everybody has, but because this is internet you end up with a selection bias for broken units.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Kobo Glo with:
Metazoa's patch
davidfor's .css hack
End of chapter bug fixed
Ability to turn off the fast sleep "feature" with sleep cover
Ability to override epub embedded fonts in the settings of the device
Full screen for tap-to-forward-page
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Kobo Glo with:
Metazoa's patch
davidfor's .css hack
End of chapter bug fixed
Ability to turn off the fast sleep "feature" with sleep cover
Ability to override epub embedded fonts in the settings of the device
Full screen for tap-to-forward-page
Most of that sounds good. But I'd replace that Glo with the Aura and/or Aura HD. Also I'd add one more thing to the list. All known firmware bugs fixed and no new bugs introduced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My Sony T1 does everything I need. Love the multiple dictionaries. I suppose it might be nice to have front-lighting, but I so rarely need a light on the reader itself that I do well enough with a clip-on light.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle NT4 with front light.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

My perfect ereader won't exist for several decades since it would require radical advancements in display and battery technologies.

A realistic alternative would be (in my opinion) the best features from Amazon, Kobo, and Sony: start with the Kobo Aura HD's mainboard and display, add the Kindle 2i's keyboard and paging buttons, then throw on Sony's software. I'd also be more than happy to see the storefronts disappear.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
An eInk (or possibly reflective LCD) device with a screen the size of either the AuraHD or Sony 950 running decent enough hardware and android version to run Mantano and Calibre Companion sounds pretty good to me. Maybe throw in Amazon's sync capabilities.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote