Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #841
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
You developers are the best!! Thanks Yossarian17, NiLuJe and everyone else involved for delivering the new PW2 jailbreak and making sure that the screensavers hack still works on it. All is installed and working fine on my PW2 (running 5.4.2) with the last book open cover rotation. I feel like my Kindle is once again the perfect reading machine!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #842
Calleja
Enthusiast
Calleja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hey, the screensaver hack is working flawlessly in my Paperwhite 2 (5.4.2)... but I've noticed the magnetic case no longer puts the Kindle to sleep when I close it (but it does wake it when I open it)

Is this a known issue of the beta/snapshot or a setting I can change?

Thanks so much for this!

Last edited by Calleja; 12-02-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Calleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #843
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Calleja: It shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the behavior of the device w/ the case, so that's weird.

Are you sure the device is actually still awake, and not just stuck on a broken screensaver? (ie. does the front light switch off?)

I don't have one to check, but I'll try to dig up an adequate magnet and check it out...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #844
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Calleja: It shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the behavior of the device w/ the case, so that's weird.

Are you sure the device is actually still awake, and not just stuck on a broken screensaver? (ie. does the front light switch off?)

I don't have one to check, but I'll try to dig up an adequate magnet and check it out...
Actually, with some more trial and error I've found closing the magnetic case *DOES* put the device to sleep, but it's not right away like it was pre-jailbreak. If I close it i need to wait a good 40 seconds before the backlight turns off and the screensaver pops out (so less than the device timing out, but not instant like before).

On the other hand, when I open the case it's strangely waking up way faster than before... I have it set on cover mode and I can barely even see the image before it's gone. With the default screensavers I got a (albeit fast) look at them before it woke completely.

These are minor nitpicks, of course, I'm just commenting in case this helps with the development of the stable PW2 version.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #845
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
FWIW, I'm not experiencing either of the issues Calleja is mentioning; also on 5.4.2, though not using the cover mode. Calleja, are you using the stock Amazon Paperwhite case, or another brand? I ask because I found that an off-brand case I had experienced similar issues to yours well before the jailbreak & screensaver hack were added. The Amazon branded case, on the other hand, has never had that issue, even after the hack was installed. Having done some experimenting, it seems that the strength of the magnet used was at fault, though it was in the same position on both cases.

(Figured it's best to eliminate a potential hardware issue before assuming it's a bug.)
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #846
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleja View Post
Actually, with some more trial and error I've found closing the magnetic case *DOES* put the device to sleep, but it's not right away like it was pre-jailbreak. If I close it i need to wait a good 40 seconds before the backlight turns off and the screensaver pops out (so less than the device timing out, but not instant like before).

On the other hand, when I open the case it's strangely waking up way faster than before... I have it set on cover mode and I can barely even see the image before it's gone. With the default screensavers I got a (albeit fast) look at them before it woke completely.

These are minor nitpicks, of course, I'm just commenting in case this helps with the development of the stable PW2 version.
Does the screensaver kick in right away when you press the power button?

I suspect there's a hardware problem and if you uninstall the SS hack you will still see the same thing.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #847
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
FCalleja, are you using the stock Amazon Paperwhite case, or another brand?
I'm using the original Amazon case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Does the screensaver kick in right away when you press the power button?

I suspect there's a hardware problem and if you uninstall the SS hack you will still see the same thing.
No, not a hardware issue, the screensaver kicks in right away when using the button.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #848
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By hardware, I think Barty meant the case's magnet or the device's hall sensor, which would be my guess too, seeing as the hack doesn't in any way affect anything even remotely touching stuff on such a low level, unless I missed a weird interaction somewhere .

VictoriaP's comment is interesting, though: check if switching to the 'classic' pool of images mode (with multiple images) helps.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-02-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #849
Calleja
Enthusiast

To be honest the problem is so minor I don't really think it's worth it playing around with files to fix it if you don't think it's something relevant to development. It's a minor nitpick, I'm loving the feeling my Kindle gets when I see the cover of the book I'm reading, it's great work!

I do have one different issue, though: I just but "The Name of the Wind" on the Amazon Kindle store (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=docs-os-doi_0) and the hack is using the title page as the screensaver instead of the cover... since this is an official .azw3 file from Amazon I can't really edit it in Calibre to change the "cover". Is there something we can do with these cases?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #850
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleja View Post
To be honest the problem is so minor I don't really think it's worth it playing around with files to fix it if you don't think it's something relevant to development. It's a minor nitpick, I'm loving the feeling my Kindle gets when I see the cover of the book I'm reading, it's great work!

I do have one different issue, though: I just but "The Name of the Wind" on the Amazon Kindle store (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=docs-os-doi_0) and the hack is using the title page as the screensaver instead of the cover... since this is an official .azw3 file from Amazon I can't really edit it in Calibre to change the "cover". Is there something we can do with these cases?

Strip drm and change cover in calibre?

Google apprentice alf. With a calibre plugin installed, stripping drm is done automagically when you drop a file into calibre.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #851
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Strip drm and change cover in calibre?

Google apprentice alf. With a calibre plugin installed, stripping drm is done automagically when you drop a file into calibre.
I use the sync feature and really like the X-Ray in novels with so many characters, and stripping the DRM removes those features.

When I use the "Go To" tool and select "Cover" it correctly shows the actual cover, so the file's structure seems to be ok.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #852
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Calleja: Calibre should be able to tweak the cover without stripping DRMs (IIRC).

That's interesting, though. Would you be willing to PM me the file (DRM'ed, don't care about the content) so that I can look at it?

I was gonna ask what you see when you 'Go To > Cover', but you answered that, so, yeah, I'd really like to take a look at the file .
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #853
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Calleja: Calibre should be able to tweak the cover without stripping DRMs (IIRC).

That's interesting, though. Would you be willing to PM me the file (DRM'ed, don't care about the content) so that I can look at it?

I was gonna ask what you see when you 'Go To > Cover', but you answered that, so, yeah, I'd really like to take a look at the file .

Yes, of course, I'll send the .azw3 right away (let me know if you want me to deDRM it, I have the script for that back at home)

If you know how to tweak the cover with Calibre without removing the DRM, I'd really appreciate directions cause nothing I tried seemed to work.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #854
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Calleja:

Huh. Nope, can't find any image other than the title page and the maps, so I'm not quite sure how the 'Go To > Cover' thingy got a real cover, unless you sent the book through Calibre after tweaking the cover, but PM'd me the original file?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #855
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Calleja:

Huh. Nope, can't find any image other than the title page and the maps, so I'm not quite sure how the 'Go To > Cover' thingy got a real cover, unless you sent the book through Calibre after tweaking the cover, but PM'd me the original file?
The image is there in the original file, I swear! I just erased all copies of it from my kindle, re-downloaded it directly from the Amazon Cloud, and Go To > Cover shows the actual cover.

I'll strip the DRM when I get home and send that so you can browse it, maybe this particular file has the cover at the very end or something?

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch