Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Panin
Panin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse
Format Question

I have a Cybook Gen 3, and I love it to bits, oh yes, precious.

I have had no problem moving across all my Baen books and the oddments that I have purchased from Fictionwise.

I use Mobipocket to organise them, because that was the easiest way that I knew of to read on my previous hand held, a palm T3.

However, shooting over to Fictionwise for a browse, I notice that some of the books I'd like to buy are no longer offered in Mobipocket format, but in something called 'secure ereader'.

Can any one tell me anything about this? Mostly, I guess, I want to know if it is compatible with my Cybook.

Thanks in advance,

Panin.
Panin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
No, you cannot read eReader files on the CyBook
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
"Secure" means DRM. And the only DRM scheme the Cybook supports is Mobipocket.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
No, you cannot read eReader files on the CyBook
You can if you convert to HTML and then convert to Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Panin

thank you for your quick answers!

I don't think that I will be buying much more from Fictionwise then, if they are moving towards the eReader softwear. Which is damned annoying, as I have just bought a year's club membership.

Damn!

Panin.
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panin View Post
thank you for your quick answers!

I don't think that I will be buying much more from Fictionwise then, if they are moving towards the eReader softwear. Which is damned annoying, as I have just bought a year's club membership.

Damn!

Panin.
they have always support eReader. I am not aware of any move to exclude other content but there are always some books that that a status change.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't think that I will be buying much more from Fictionwise then, if they are moving towards the eReader softwear.
The Secure eReader option is new, since FictionWise has just bought eReader. I think it is tacky of FictionWise to "recommend" secure eReader books just because they make more money off the format (if there is a technical reason for this I can't find it in their FAQ). However, I am not aware of them removing or cutting back on secure MobiPocket titles.

Which ebooks are they only offering in secure eReader format?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are always going to be eBooks only in a specific format. It's not that Fictionwise is moving to or away from any format. It's the way it is thanks to the Tower of eBable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Secure eReader option is new, since FictionWise has just bought eReader. I think it is tacky of FictionWise to "recommend" secure eReader books just because they make more money off the format (if there is a technical reason for this I can't find it in their FAQ). However, I am not aware of them removing or cutting back on secure MobiPocket titles.

Which ebooks are they only offering in secure eReader format?
My guess is that one reason they're recommending it is because since they own the format, it's the one format that they can control and continue to guarantee access to as long as they're stable themselves.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Panin

Well, I was looking at some books by Lynne Graham, and decided to buy all 12 that they had.

Check out BooksOnBoard as they have more than 6 of her eBooks in Mobipocket format.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...Lynne%20Graham
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Well, I was looking at some books by Lynne Graham, and decided to buy all 12 that they had.

Check out BooksOnBoard as they have more than 6 of her eBooks in Mobipocket format.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...Lynne%20Graham
I just compared the Lynne Graham titles on BooksOnBoard with those on Fictionwise and they seem to be consistent. I couldn't see a book available in Mobipocket on one site but not on the other, so it looks like the publisher's decision rather than anything sinister going on at Fictionwise.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote