Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
ray2ban
ray2ban began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Paperwhite probably DEMO help needed

Hi All, just joined the forum. Hope I'll be able to keep up with you guys cause some of you... heck, are well into 22 century.

Here's what happened to me. Bought Kindle PW on Ebay from a Staples outlet. Legit. Description: Everything has been tested and works the way it should.

I charged it. Played with it for a while but could not get to settings, grayed out, always... thought maybe passw. protected, private etc. Called Amazon, they won't help, "call the seller".

Until I found couple posts about demo's. Looked up my auction and sure enough it says something like that e21 demo, did not pay attention to it at all. Unit works, can go to a Kindle Store, see some 20 not complete books inside, I reset it few times but it's always back to the same.
On the staring page it says "touch screen to try Kindle Paperwhite".

My options are: return it if they accept it and pay restocking fee... OR follow your "Original "Simple" debricking methods" thread or similar.
It's damn complicated, plenty of links, Kindle PW is referenced in few different ways in this forum as K5 (?) or Paperwhite, or Kindle PW, hard to follow.
Your guide may be complete but is not easy to follow and comprehend. I even don't know which one applies to my Kindle.
I'm not a linux guy, but pretty good with PC's.

If I decide to keep it (PW it is, don't know what version, FW etc.) which easy to understand (I hope it exists) guide I should follow, what threads and reference materials, what do I need? and what are my chances of success?
I found my way here and I hope I can find my way (with some assistance) through your guides, I hope.

Anyone can help?
ray2ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) It is a Paperwhite Demo unit.
2) It can be transformed (with consumer firmware) into a "normal" Paperwhite.

Quote:
I'm not a linux guy, but pretty good with PC's.
No insult intended, but your personal "best choice" is to send it back or re-sell it yourself (e-bay should have a button for that in your purchase history page).
Because:

3) The PW1 and PW2 require hardware and firmware "guru level" skills using the internal serial port.

Although if your willing for the rather steep learning curve, you probably can do it - - but keep in mind, even with written help - - it may end up scrap.
(The Kindle Paperwhite un-Demo'ing is not a good "first timer project". )

Last edited by knc1; 05-15-2014 at 02:58 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
ray2ban

Fair enough, I wrote them asking for a replacement as description was deceptive, demo and demo are different things, receiver demo unit is fully functional, so is the laptop but these things are simply crippled and that should have been made clear, I totally did not get that or missed that. Should have been more cautious. Demo cellphone is simply a dummy, a housing.

Btw. what is ey21 demo, what does it stand for? model number?
Anyway I like the unit, feels right and condition is perfect, if it only worked LOL.

Out of pure curiosity could you please show me the right links to "the process". I'm not guru but I've done many things on guru level so it doesn't scare me.
If they take it back fine. I'll get another one but it sparked my interest as to how it's done. Opening the housing to access the port is already a task. I played with cellphones, like repairs, flashing etc. Already downloaded some tools LOL just to see.
Shows as Kindle but with 0 storage on PC, no version etc. with "connect the device", probably due to regular usb cable.
So what is the magic trick/path? Even if I buy another one it's good to know couple things.
Thanks for your honest take on this one and good response.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
"ey21 demo": I don't have a clue - maybe someone else does.

I don't think we have the process written up in any one place.
There is a rather long thread here about what one person did to make their "Demo Kindle" useful without actually un-demo'ing it.

There is a lot of things written up on this site (you might notice that this post id number is greater than the 2.8 millionth post).
The crib sheet on finding things: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

I haven't actually done the un-demo'ing of a paperwhite myself, only read and commented on other people's efforts.

Other members here can probably be more help than I can at this point.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 AM   #5
ray2ban

FYI, EY21 is Paperwhite model number, google/read about it on Amazon.
Returned the thing to the seller and hopefully will get a replacement soon.
Advert