Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Angela1970
Angela1970 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Talking New to the Forum

Hi Everyone! I wanted to introduce myself here since I am going to be using the Kindle Fire. I am getting it from my husband for Christmas. It was delivered a few weeks ago and I've been patiently waiting and reading everything I can about it. I am glad that I found this forum! I've had the little gizmo out of the box a few times (Shhhh! Don't tell my husband - he hasn't wrapped it yet! LOL!) and I've turned it on and it is an absolute thing of beauty! I'm so excited and I can't WAIT to have it be mine forever!!

In reading through these forums, I've read about rooting and sideloading and apk files and everything and I don't understand ANY of it!! ACK! I'm hoping that when I do get the Fire and I frequent this site to learn a little more about using it to it's fullest potential, that you will all be a little patient with me while I try to understand the sideloading. I read through the sticky for sideloading, but at this point, still don't really understand it. So, hopefully, you will all be easy on me when I ask stupid questions!! Ha-ha!

SIX DAYS!! The countdown is ON for me to be the proud owner of a KINDLE FIRE!! (Oh, and I've never even had a regular kindle so am super-excited!)
Angela1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Welcome!

I'd say you have every reason to unwrap it early - after all, there is a free app every day that you're missing out on by not opening it!

I wouldn't worry too much at this point about rooting; quite frankly even as much of a geek and tweaker as I am, I'm very happy with the device the way it is out of the box. I have sideloaded a few apps but that's not really "hacking" or all that complicated.

Suffice to say that when you actually get your device, we'll be here ready to help you out. Just don't get caught being "naughty" between now and the end of the week!
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Welcome. You don't need to root your Kindle. In fact, I recommend against this unless you want to null and void your warranty. The first thing you want to do is let the Kindle Fire update itself to the latest OS from Amazon.

Sideloading Apps is perfectly acceptable and really not as hard as you think once you have done it a few times. Some Apps can be downloaded directly from alternative App stores just like Amazon. There are several ways to sideload an App from a PC (e.g. USB cable, wireless, Dropbox). All are fairly simple and painless. I know the anticipation is killing you but you don't have to hold on much longer. The key to enjoying your Fire is patience. It takes some minor learning for some things but in the end it pays off. The Kindle Fire is absolutely an amazing tablet for $200.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Welcome!

I'm sure you've checked into some alternatives app stores since you browse the forum. To tell the truth though, I really haven't downloaded all that much from any of them and while I'm finding it very very hard to justify the KF as I have other devices, for $200 it isn't going to be returned!

I hope the update comes soon because I really want to see how it betters the device for me personally. I don't think it will be anything dramatic cause I'm happy now but maybe I'll be surprised and like the KF even more afterwards.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela1970 View Post
I've had the little gizmo out of the box a few times (Shhhh! Don't tell my husband - he hasn't wrapped it yet! LOL!) and I've turned it on and it is an absolute thing of beauty! I'm so excited and I can't WAIT to have it be mine forever!!
Hi and Welcome. Perfectly acceptable to 'play' with your Fire. That's what he gets for not wrapping it.

I didn't root mine and have no intention of rooting it. It's fine just the way it is.

As someone else mentioned, check out Amazon's free app of the day and if there is one you want snag it. You will probably have to sneak it out again and register it to get the app though unless you have another android device.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
Welcome! I originally asked for the Fire for Christmas and then couldn't wait! I ended up making up a reason and telling my husband I should get the Fire for that reason! LOL! Fortunately, he agreed and I got mine day 1.

I agree with what everyone else said about rooting. I have no plans to root, but am sideloading apps. The great folks here have taught me a lot about that.

Enjoy! Only a few more days!
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Angela1970
Angela1970 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks SO much for the warm welcome!!! I do have a Droid Incredible 2 so I've been checking out the free app a day through Amazon and actually have gotten a couple of them. I will definitely try sideloading apps and I'm sure will be asking for help!!

Thanks again!!!
Angela1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Welcome, and enjoy the KFire.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
drjpreston
Enthusiast
drjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & Fire
You are going to love your Kindle fire. It is the right size, the right price and does everything most people need it to. Whats more you will love this forum.
drjpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela1970 View Post
Hi Everyone! I wanted to introduce myself here since I am going to be using the Kindle Fire. I am getting it from my husband for Christmas. It was delivered a few weeks ago and I've been patiently waiting and reading everything I can about it. I am glad that I found this forum! I've had the little gizmo out of the box a few times (Shhhh! Don't tell my husband - he hasn't wrapped it yet! LOL!) and I've turned it on and it is an absolute thing of beauty! I'm so excited and I can't WAIT to have it be mine forever!!

In reading through these forums, I've read about rooting and sideloading and apk files and everything and I don't understand ANY of it!! ACK! I'm hoping that when I do get the Fire and I frequent this site to learn a little more about using it to it's fullest potential, that you will all be a little patient with me while I try to understand the sideloading. I read through the sticky for sideloading, but at this point, still don't really understand it. So, hopefully, you will all be easy on me when I ask stupid questions!! Ha-ha!

SIX DAYS!! The countdown is ON for me to be the proud owner of a KINDLE FIRE!! (Oh, and I've never even had a regular kindle so am super-excited!)
Unfortunately I had to buy an ipad for my son's education so I bought a fire for myself to get away from apple. Let me tell you the fire is a lot faster than the ipad is, athough it is heavier but the screen is a lot brighter then the ipad.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Welcome! If my hubby told me I had to wait till Christmas he be sleeping on the sofa.

Hubby and I have already exchange our Christmas gifts. I am an adult now not a child it's one of the benefits of being grown up.
Hasn't he heard of the 12 Days of Christmas?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote