Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
chingu
chingu began at the beginning.

Device: Might buy Kobo
Two columns of text, line down middle?

Hello,

I just purchased a Kobo e-reader, mainly to read one specific book: Capitalism by George Reisman. It's a massive tome available freely online as a pdf on the authors site, and I didn't want to go blind trying to read all of the 1500 or so pages.

The problem is that I cannot convert it to epub properly on calibre, because within each page there are two lines of writing. They are separated by a space down the middle.

For example ........it carries
everything is.......on to the
written like..........other side
this. Then...........like this.

[Edit, my example didn't work out because the forum here edited my spacing for some reason. I added periods instead of spaces]

If my explanation doesn't make sense then just pull up a page in the book anywhere after around page 40 and have a look-see. http://www.capitalism.net/Capitalism...M_Internet.pdf

So when I convert to epub from pdf on calibre I get alternating lines that don't make sense.

Is this a known issue and is there a way to fix this without editing a 1500 page book line by line?

Thank you

Last edited by chingu; 09-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.
chingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
pull it through OCR. Columns are usually recognized then.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
chingu: You are correct, 2 columns are difficult. In ePub there would need to be a table with an entry for each column. The lines could be hidden. however some eBook readers will not work properly with a table that spans multiple pages so it is going to be difficult to make an ePub that works well. However, Kobo can also read PDF.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote