Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Free book on Amazon: The Byzantine Empire 101: The TextVook

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UCLK6M

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I don't visit this section of the forum much, but I just stumbled on this and thought it might be interesting. I "bought" it but I have no idea what to expect.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Currently in the UK Kindle store there's a lot of their books available for free, covering a variety of topics. Click on the author's name to see all the books. I imagine they're also free in the US, but I haven't checked.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Currently in the UK Kindle store there's a lot of their books available for free, covering a variety of topics. Click on the author's name to see all the books. I imagine they're also free in the US, but I haven't checked.
Thanks, I didn't think of doing that.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are 55 free Vook Books. I got them all, because, after all, you never know when you might need one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are 55 free Vook Books. I got them all, because, after all, you never know when you might need one.
I won't get them all, especially since I'm not sure I will be able to liberate them and I know I won't read them unless I can. But I am buying a lot of them. There's two about the Middle Eastern history that look promising, since I don't know nearly enough on that subject.

Does anybody know this series anyway? I can't look at them now but I'll do it when I get home.
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Vooks contain short video clips embedded in certain pages - and are designed to be viewed using K4iPad. You can read the text portion on a Kindle. Not sure if you can view them on K4PC or K4Mac.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Vooks contain short video clips embedded in certain pages - and are designed to be viewed using K4iPad. You can read the text portion on a Kindle. Not sure if you can view them on K4PC or K4Mac.
Aaaah... thanks! Maybe I can view them on my iPod Touch. Or maybe not, since it's rather old. I'll see tomorrow (won't have time to test it tonight).
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just looked at one on K4PC - video clips don't play.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Just looked at one on K4PC - video clips don't play.
Actually I'm not very keen on videoclips, so if they are an essential part of the book, I may not be that interested. If they are just illustrations and the text can stand out for itself, I guess I can live without them.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Oh, I hadn't heard of these. Good find, thank you.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I went and downloaded them all when they first showed up (also free in Canada, BTW).

They're very short, but not bad. Kind of like a hybrid of a decently-written Wikipedia article and the BBC Schools revision stuff at the "Scottish Highers" level. A nice, light introduction with a little depth and detail to most of the subjects I tried.

Nowhere near worth the $1.99 "regular" asking price (unless they consolidated all the ones on related subjects into one single "TextVook"), but definitely good enough to download and read as freebies.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Very few actually have embedded audio/video (perhaps they are supposed to or perhaps they do in the iBooks store).

All can be read on any Kindle (there is a notation made where any a/v content is missing).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Very few actually have embedded audio/video (perhaps they are supposed to or perhaps they do in the iBooks store).

All can be read on any Kindle (there is a notation made where any a/v content is missing).
The ones with embedded content at Amazon (a handful) have it clearly noted in the title, and each that does also has a "normal" version as well, from what I remember from the very long list of titles.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote