Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Several K3 PDF handling questions

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a six-inch Kindle. I'm wondering how it handles PDFs with the following characteristics:

-wide margins for the page size (e.g. 2.5 inches on either side on an 8.5*11 page)
-non-OCRd text (i.e., can't be reflowed [as a side question, does Kindle reflow PDFs?])

Would the Kindle display the full page? Then you'd get very small text and a lot of white space because of the wide margins.

Would it display pieces of pages? How many pieces would it split an 8.5*11 pdf in portrait mode? What about landscape mode?

Can you zoom into PDFs and then advance through them at your custom zoom level? Does it split the PDF into an appropriate number of pieces, so you can scroll through the entire PDF at your selected zoom level without missing any text? That way, you could zoom into the text until it fit the width of the screen, eliminating the problem created by the wide margins.

Are there any other features that would make a document like this display in a readable way on the six-inch Kindle?

Thanks in advance for any info on this issue. I'm sure it's very hard to understand what I'm asking without seeing an example.

(Also, I understand that PDFs are not a good format for viewing on e-readers and that devices with larger screens like the DX are better suited to PDF viewing, but I am still curious.)

Last edited by barium; 02-04-2011 at 02:23 PM.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote