Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #121
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
A fair number? Does anyone find LCD screens easier to look at than eInk?

/me raises hands
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #122
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds like they're getting closer and closer to the PADD (Personal Access Display Device) that Star Trek Next Generation often showed us some decades back.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #123
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
I'm well aware of the advantages of LCD over eInk. But, if you are being sincere (no offense), then you are one of very few whose brain is wired in such a way that staring into a light for hours is just as comfortable as not.
I am one of the few (or many) too. I work eight hours everyday before a LCD screen and come home surfing the web for another 3 hours with no problems at all. In fact, none of my friends or co-workers that I know have any problems with the LCD screen. A lot of them have reader app and have been reading on their cell phone or laptop for hours with no problems.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #124
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I'm well aware of the advantages of LCD over eInk. But, if you are being sincere (no offense), then you are one of very few whose brain is wired in such a way that staring into a light for hours is just as comfortable as not.
Whatever device you are using, light is entering your eyes. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be seeing anything.
If the backlight on an LCD device is too high, it will cause eyestrain, certainly the iPad is too bright to comformtably read in the dark with black on white even at minimum brightness, which I why i choose apps which let you lower the brightness further than the system app does.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #125
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
I'm not arguing that some people don't find LCD comfortable to view (and probably easier to live with in the long run). I'm just saying, that if an LCD screen and an eInk screen were lined up in front of you in "normal" lighting conditions, few people would actually find the LCD easier to look at. It's the same as looking into a dim flashlight for several hours versus not looking into it. The latter option is definitely easier on the eyes.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #126
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I'm not arguing that some people don't find LCD comfortable to view (and probably easier to live with in the long run). I'm just saying, that if an LCD screen and an eInk screen were lined up in front of you in "normal" lighting conditions, few people would actually find the LCD easier to look at. It's the same as looking into a dim flashlight for several hours versus not looking into it. The latter option is definitely easier on the eyes.
You need to explore the brightness settings on an LCD. I'm looking at my LCD monitor and the ambient light is brighter than the screen. I find this very comfortable for reading. Since a white piece of paper is whiter than what should be white on my screen, I can safely assume that I wouldn't have a problem with color E-ink.

Also, what are "normal" lighting conditions?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #127
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
You need to explore the brightness settings on an LCD. I'm looking at my LCD monitor and the ambient light is brighter than the screen. I find this very comfortable for reading. Since a white piece of paper is whiter than what should be white on my screen, I can safely assume that I wouldn't have a problem with color E-ink.
Good point. What you say makes sense.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #128
strawhatbrat
strawhatbrat began at the beginning.

Device: nook and kindle
I'm all about the color e-ink reader! I can't wait until something like that is available.
strawhatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #129
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If the backlight on an LCD device is too high, it will cause eyestrain
I think their point is that no matter how low you make the backlight, you are never going to get it to zero. But that's not really the goal.

IMO, the way to get them on an even playing field is to lower it until the light that the LCD is emitting is equal to the amount of light that eInk is reflecting. Most people don't do that though, and depending on the display, probably can't.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #130
sunwestdog
Enthusiast
sunwestdog began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 701 IQ, pocketbook 302
Quote:
First, there is almost no difference between a 5" reader and a 6" reader...lots of folks love them for the superb portability. You might look at the Pocketbook 360 with it's integrated hard shell cover to protect the panel and eliminating the need for a overpriced cover. Seriously, had I not bought my K2i for a net $159 thanks to a $100 Amazon credit with an Audible subscription, I would have bought the PB 360 instead. It might be a nice fit for you.
That is a great reader, though I went for the 302. I wish I had bought the 360 instead. The hardshell protection would certainly be a bonus.
sunwestdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #131
zinj
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwestdog View Post
That is a great reader, though I went for the 302. I wish I had bought the 360 instead. The hardshell protection would certainly be a bonus.
Maybe so, but what's this got to do with color Eink?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #132
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I am one of the few (or many) too. I work eight hours everyday before a LCD screen and come home surfing the web for another 3 hours with no problems at all. In fact, none of my friends or co-workers that I know have any problems with the LCD screen. A lot of them have reader app and have been reading on their cell phone or laptop for hours with no problems.
May I ask how old you are? Or at least if you are younger than 40 or older?
Because I think that age may play a part too. I've worn glasses since 7th grade and I remember getting my eyes checked sometime after I turned forty. Even though my near-sightedness was supposed to flatten out by the age of 40 approximately, my eyesight continued to get worse. I remember that my eye doctor asked if spent a lot of time on the computer, which I did for work at the time. Anyway, as I am pushing closer to 50 now, spending a great deal of time on my laptop causes headaches and the strain causes my eyes to tire and water. I dim the backlight as it gets darker, but it still is not as comfortable as reading on my Sony.

Anyway, it's just a theory and anecdotal, and maybe it's just my eyes are not as strong as others; could just be a personal weakness with my eyesight.
I do think that there are enough people that share my feelings and would greatly appreciate color eInk as an offering! I know I would jump at the chance if it were available and affordable. Sure, most of what I read is fine with eInk, but color eInk would certainly open up and enhance a lot more reading options, IMHO.

What was this thread about? It's not a debate about LCD versus eInk, it's that eInk is further progressing to be able to offer color, which is very desirable to some of us!

Consider your self blessed if you don't need glasses or do not have trouble viewing your computer, iPAD's and other LCD devices! I envy you!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #133
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Kindle could definitely do with colour ink. Looking at black and white covers sucks!
Eastlondonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #134
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think their point is that no matter how low you make the backlight, you are never going to get it to zero. But that's not really the goal.

IMO, the way to get them on an even playing field is to lower it until the light that the LCD is emitting is equal to the amount of light that eInk is reflecting. Most people don't do that though, and depending on the display, probably can't.
I don't think it would ever be possible for an LCD screen to reflect back the same amount of light as an e-Ink screen. The e-Ink screen is reflecting back just the ambient light that bounces off the surface of the screen. An LCD screen bounces back that light, plus the light emitted by the LCD itself (which it's going to emit as long as it's turned on). Therefore, an LCD is always going to emit more light at any one moment. You can probably change the amount of light emitted over time by changing the refresh rate, but if you change the refresh rate so that the screen is "on" less often, that has a negative impact on people's eyes, too.

I can certainly see LCD screens being better for people who like to read at night and aren't particularly bothered by the light, or who only read for short stretches before bed. But I don't think there's a reading advantage in the daytime with LCD screens. I think the advantage for LCD screens i sthat they're more versatile. For e-reader manufacturers, the question's going to be, "Can we still make a profit if we make these devices cheap enough for people to have e-readers and tablets?" If enough people feel like an LCD screen is good enough, the value of e-Ink devices goes way down.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #135
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
May I ask how old you are? Or at least if you are younger than 40 or older?

Consider your self blessed if you don't need glasses or do not have trouble viewing your computer, iPAD's and other LCD devices! I envy you!
My age has always been a secret but I can share that with you, I'm way over 40. I am really surprised about people having eye strain reading on LCD. I got the Classic Nook not because it was e-ink, but it was one of the few affordable and portable reading device that I can put in my purse. I thought about getting the iPad but it was too big, heavy and clunky.

I do not wear reading glasses; that would definitely give me eye strain. I wear contact lenses and I am on monovision - my right lens is -150 off my normal vision to allow me to see close ups and my left lens allow me to see far. It was weird at first but I got used to it quickly.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote