Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Baen Books is currently in negotiations with Amazon.

Arnold Bailey has been quite ill and the Webscriptions site is being managed by others.

There have been no additional Webscription Months beyond January 2011 posted for several months.

When questioned directly Publisher Toni Weisskopf will make no comment except to say that Baen ebooks will continue, no comments on the future of Webscriptions.

It may simply be confusion and disorganization at Webscriptions but my conclusion is that time maybe limited.

Last edited by NormHart; 10-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
That's very sad to hear. I hope Bailey gets better, and that regardless of how future Baen e-books come out, at least they maintain the current Webscriptions site and the ability to purchase/access the existing stuff.

Frankly, it would probably be good for Baen to also have their catalogue also up on Amazon, hopefully DRM-free like O'Reilly's, for those potential buyers who don't care anything about having multiple formats available or not being tied to any one platform, so long as they can conveniently 1-click from their Kindle and sync up their books.

I've seen any number of people on the Amazon discussion boards say they love such and such author's books, shame they aren't available for the Kindle, and then have to be pointed at the Baen Free Library/Webscriptions and gently walked through the process of putting a non-Amazon book on their Kindle.

And that's just the ones who bother to comment and stick around for the instructions.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post

Arnold Bailey has been quite ill and the Webscriptions site is being managed by others.

There have been no additional Webscription Months beyond January 2011 posted for several months.

When questioned directly Publisher Toni Weisskopf will make no comment except to say that Baen ebooks will continue, no comments on the future of Webscriptions.

It may simply be confusion and disorganization at Webscriptions but my conclusion is that time maybe limited.
And thus the January 31, 2011 date. I hope Webscriptions continues, but if the publisher won't say anything about it then it sounds as if your surmise is correct and its days are numbered.

@ ATDrake: I will definitely be getting some eBooks from Baen in any case; a bonus for the "lazy" in me if they contract with Amazon but I have no qualms about downloading from sites other than Amazon. I've only used Amazon and Project Gutenberg thus far, but that will change!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Personally, I hate serials, so I never buy Webscription bundles from Baen (plus, there are always books I'm not interested in). I just wait until the individual books are released, and buy the ones I want.

But, I love their prices, and lack of DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
thanks for the warning about the date
I guess I should make some orders still kept on todo. before there "happens" some kind of coop which might make drm-free epubs disappear...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Personally, I hate serials, so I never buy Webscription bundles from Baen (plus, there are always books I'm not interested in). I just wait until the individual books are released, and buy the ones I want.

Buying the Webscription "bundles" is something I always enjoy doing. It's like a "lucky dip" - you never know what you're going to get, and I've been introduced to a number of excellent authors that way whom I otherwise would very likely never have encountered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post

I never buy the one quarter/half/etc. I just wait until the first of the month and then buy the bundle for $15 for 6-8 ebooks. Rarely I'll already have most of the ebooks or not be interested in one or two but, since most of the ebooks sell separately for $6, if more three or more are interesting I'll get them all. I also buy older bundles, I now own all their ebooks offered from 1999 - 2005. I am desperately hoping that, if Webscriptions is discontinued, their back inventory will still be available.

I am on a limited budget and Webscripions gets 90% of my book budget, the other 10% goes to the occasional pbook which I will purchase rather than a DRM damaged ebook. Loosing Webscriptions will cripple my reading habits.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
thanks for the warning about the date
I guess I should make some orders still kept on todo. before there "happens" some kind of coop which might make drm-free epubs disappear...
Ms. Weisskopf has assured Baen Bar folks that Baen Books ebooks will remain DRM free no matter how they are distributed. It was a central tenet of Jim Baen's vision for electronic publishing which Ms. Weisskopf strongly supports.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Ms. Weisskopf has assured Baen Bar folks that Baen Books ebooks will remain DRM free no matter how they are distributed. It was a central tenet of Jim Baen's vision for electronic publishing which Ms. Weisskopf strongly supports.
So often when "new" management takes over they seem to be eager to change the company's philosophy, as if their ideas have to be better - or more likely to make money. It is very good to see that Ms Weisskopf intends to keep Jim Baen's vision for his company's distribution of eBooks.

Holly
Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Well, according to a new message on the Baen Bar they are planning to continue "soon" so hopefully all is well.

BTW there are copies of Andre Norton's Ralestone Luck available for free here and on Project Gutenberg. Not Science Fiction but an interesting read makes me wonder what else she would have produced if she had stayed in that genre.

Last edited by NormHart; 10-12-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #26
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Well, according to a new message on the Baen Bar they are planning to continue "soon" so hopefully all is well.

Excellent!

Quote:
BTW there are copies of Andre Norton's Ralestone Luck available for free here and on Project Gutenberg. Not Science Fiction but an interesting read makes me wonder what else she would have produced if she had stayed in that genre.
She was a very prolific writer and did venture into a few different genres besides sci-fi. I haven't read them yet but have downloaded "The Works of Andre Norton" from Amazon which contains both the Ralestone Luck book and her Drew Rennie "cowboy" series! I see they are all available here on MobileRead as well, so if I can't handle the formatting from Amazon, I will definitely download these.

(I now know to always check here first for the older, DRM-free eBooks I want instead of going to Amazon or Project Gutenberg, etc. )

Holly
Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #27
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:

They've now put up February and March 2011, so I think Webscriptions are pretty safe for the future.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
They've now put up February and March 2011, so I think Webscriptions are pretty safe for the future.

-Marcy
Yes, I just noticed that myself. It's very good news.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #29
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
This thread reminded me of a couple of books about alternate history Earths...but I couldn't remember the names of them. A quick google search turned up they were The Crossroads of Time and Quest Crosstime mentioned on page 1.

I was never a huge fan of Norton but my dad had a bunch of her books in his old box of sci-fi and fantasy when I was a kid, and I remember really liking those two. Along with Doc E.E. Smith and Heinlen, there was some good stuff in his old collection.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #30
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
My first into to science ficiton was also Andre Norton. She has reamained one of my all time favorites over the years.

Do not know if this has been posted here before or not, but for all of you Norton fans, here is a reasonably complete list of her books.

Norton Bibliography (text version)
by Maciej Zaleski - Ejgierd* and Greg Kepa (after 1999)

Last updated: August 07, 2002 ver 1.42

BASED UPON THE WORK OF JOHN WENN, IRENE HARRISON AND HANK
GREELY. DOES NOT INCLUDE SHORT STORIES AND COLLECTIONS.

Due to the fact that Ms. Norton is best known for her Witch World Series, there is also another, more detailed (than the one placed below) Witch World book list available on a separate page.
KEY:

(1997) - Date of creation.
[CB] - Chapbook (a very short book, or pamphlet).
[YA] - The book is for young adults (however you define them).
[O] - Omnibus. Includes other books.
[= ...] - Also known by this other title.
NEW NEW - new entry.

Series
Witch World

Estcarp Cycle
The Witch World (1963)
Web of the Witch World (1964)
Three Against the Witch World (1965)
Warlock of the Witch World (1967)
Sorceress of the Witch World (1968)

Trey of Swords (1977)
'Ware Hawk (1983)
Gate of the Cat (1987)

High Hallack Cycle
Horn Crown (1981)
Year of the Unicorn (1965)
Spell of the Witch World (1972)
Jargoon Pard (1974)
Zarsthor's Bane (1978)

The Gryphon Saga
The Crystal Gryphon (1972)
Gryphon in Glory (1981)
Gryphon's Eyrie (1984)(with A.C. Crispin)

The Songsmith (1992) (with A.C. Crispin)

The Turning

Witch World: The Turning I (1991)
Storms of Victory
Port of Dead Ships (with P.M. Griffin)
Seakeep (with. M. Griffin)
Witch World: The Turning II (1992)
Flight of Vengeance
Exile (with Mary Schaub)
Falcon Hope (with P. M. Griffin)
Witch World: The Turning III (1994)
On Wings of Magic
We, the Women (with Patricia Mathews)
Falcon Magic (with Sasha Miller)
The Key of the Keplian (1995) (with Lyn McConchie)
Ciara's Song (1998) (with Lyn McConchie)
The Mage Stone (1996) (with M. Schaub)
The Warding of the Witch World (1997)

Collections of stories:
Lore of the Witch World (1980) (Norton stories)
Tales of the Witch World (1987)
Tales of the Witch World 2 (1988)
Four From the Witch World (1989)
Tales of the Witch World 3 (1990)

Other short stories:
The Were Wrath (1984)
The Toads of Grimmerdale
From TOR paperback: "Grand Master's Choice" ed. by A.Norton, 1989
One Spell Wizard

Book of the Oak
To the King a Daughter (2000) (with Sasha Miller)
Knight or Knave (2001) (with Sasha Miller)

Carolus Rex
The Shadow of Albion (1999) (with Rosemary Edhill)
Leopard in Exile (2001) (with Rosemary Edhill)

Central Control
Star Rangers (1953) [= The Last Planet]
Star Guard (1955)

Crosstime
The Crossroads of Time (1956)
Quest Crosstime (1965) [= Crosstime Agent]

Dipple
Catseye (1961)
Judgment on Janus (1963) [also in Janus series]
Night of Masks (1964)
Forerunner Foray (1973) [also in Forerunner series]

Forerunner/Shan Lantee
Storm Over Warlock (1960)
Ordeal in Otherwhere (1964)
Forerunner Foray (1973) [also in Dipple series]
Forerunner (1981)
Forerunner: The Second Venture (1985)

Free Traders (other names: Moon Magic, Moon Singer)
Moon of Three Rings (1966)
Exiles of the Stars (1971)
Flight in Yiktor (1986)
Dare to Go A-Hunting (1990)

The Halfblood Chronicles (with Mercedes Lackey)
The Elvenbane (1991)
Elvenblood (1995)
Elvenborn (2002)
Hosteen Storm
The Beast Master (1959) [rev. 1961]
Lord of Thunder (1962)
Beast Master's Ark (2002) (with Lyn McConchie)

Janus
Judgment on Janus (1963) [also in Dipple series]
Victory on Janus (1966)

Jern Murdock
The Zero Stone (1968)
Uncharted Stars (1969)

The Magic Sequence [YA]
Steel Magic (1965) [= Gray Magic]
Octagon Magic (1967)
Fur Magic (1968) [Grant, 1993]
[O/3N= The Magic Books (1988)]
Dragon Magic (1972)
Lavender-Green Magic (1974)
Red Hart Magic (1976)

The Mark of the Cat
The Mark of the Cat (1992)
The Mark of the Cat : Year of the Rat (2002)

Noble Warrior
Short stories published in subsequent Catfantastic collections.
Noble Warrior (1989) from Catfantastic I
Hob's Pot (1991) from Catfantastic II
Noble Warrior Meets with a Ghost (1994) from Catfantastic III
Noble Warrior, Teller of Fortunes (1996) from Catfantastic IV

Pax/Astra
The Stars are Ours! (1954)
Star Born (1957)

Ross Murdock/Time War
The Time Traders (1958)
Galactic Derelict (1959)
The Defiant Agents (1962)
Key Out of Time (1963)
Firehand (1994) (with P.M. Griffin)
Echoes in time (1999) (with Sherwood Smith)

Solar Queen
Sargasso of Space (1955) [orig. as Andrew North]
Plague Ship (1956) [orig. as Andrew North]
Voodoo Planet (1959) [orig. as Andrew North]
Postmarked the Stars (1969)
Redline the Stars (1993) (with P.M. Griffin)
Derelict for Trade (1997) (with Sherwood Smith)
Mind for Trade (1996) (with Sherwood Smith)

Star Ka'at (with Dorothy Madler)
Star Ka'at (1976)
Star Ka'at World (1978)
Star Ka'at and the Plant People (1979)
Star Ka'at and the Winged Warriors (1981)

The Trillium Series
Black Trillium (1990) (With Marion Z. Bradley & Susan May)
Golden Trillium (1993)
Sequels (not written by Ms. Norton):
Blood Trillium (1994) (by Julian May)
Lady of the Trillium (1995) (by Marion Zimmer Bradley)
Sky Trillium (1997) (by Julian May)

Books not in series:

Android at Arms (1971)
Breed to Come (1972)
Brother to Shadows (1993)
Dark Piper (1968)
The Day of the Ness (1975) (with Michael Gilbert)
Dread Companion (1970)
Empire of the Eagle (1993) (with Susan Shwartz)
Eye of the Monster (1962)
The Hands of Lyr (1994)
Here Abide Monsters (1973)
House of Shadows (1984) (with Phyllis Miller)
Huon of the Horn (1951)
Ice Crown (1970)
Imperial Lady (1989) (with Susan Shwartz)
Iron Cage (1974)
The Jekyll Legacy (1990) (with Robert Bloch)
Knave of Dreams (1975)
Merlin's Mirror (1975)
Mirror of Destiny (1995)
Moon Called (1982)
No Night Without Stars (1975)
The Opal-Eyed Fan (1977)
Operation Time Search (1967)
Outside (1975)
Quag Keep (1978)
Rogue Reynard (1947) [YA]
Scent of Magic, The (1998)
Sea Siege (1957)
Secret of the Lost Race (1959) [= Wolfshead]
Serpent's Tooth (1987) [CB]
Seven Spells to Sunday (1979) (with Phyllis Miller)
The Sioux Spacemen (1960)
Star Gate (1958)
Star Hunter (1961)
Star Hunter & Voodoo Planet (1968) [O/2N]
Star Man's Son 2250 A.D. (1952) [= Daybreak -- 2250 A.D.]
Tiger Burning Bright (1995) (with Marion Zimmer Bradley and Mercedes Lackey)
Voorloper (1980)
Wheel of Stars (1983)
Wind In the Stone (1999)
Wraiths of Time (1976)
The X Factor (1965)
Yurth Burden (1978)

Non-Genre Fiction

Drew Rennie series
Ride Proud Rebel! (1961)
Rebel Spurs (1962)

Lorens van Norreys series
The Sword is Drawn (1944)
Sword in Sheath (1949) [= Island of the Lost]
At Swords' Point (1954)

Bertie and May (1969) (with Bertha Norton [her mother])
Caroline (1982) (with Enid Cushing)
Follow the Drum (1942)
Iron Butterflies (1980)
Maid at Arms (1981) (with Enid Cushing [Norton uncredited collaborator])
Murders For Sale (1954) (with Grace Allen Hogath)[= Sneeze on Sunday]
The Prince Commands (1934)
Ralestone Luck (1938)
Ride the Green Dragon (1985) (with Phyllis Miller)
Scarface (1948)
Shadow Hawk (1960)
Snow Shadow (1979)
Stand & Deliver (1984)
Stand to Horse (1956)
Ten Mile Treasure (1981)
Velvet Shadows (1977)
The White Jade Fox (1975)
Yankee Privateer (1955)
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote