Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Ebooks covers

For some reasons I do not see the covers (thumbnails) of many ebooks I have sideloaded in my K4 in the archive, while I browse.
Is there a way to refresh these thumbnail, short of deleting and reloading the books again ?
I understand it
I tried to search the forum and could not apparently find a solution, but maybe I was not precise in my research.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Sometimes the metadata isn't correct and that's why the covers don't show. I even have covers that show in Calibre yet still don't show on my Kindle. In those cases I always re convert the book in Calibre and load the book again, that always works, but obviously this is for DRM free ebooks. I convert from mobi to mobi.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Sometimes the metadata isn't correct and that's why the covers don't show. I even have covers that show in Calibre yet still don't show on my Kindle. In those cases I always re convert the book in Calibre and load the book again, that always works, but obviously this is for DRM free ebooks. I convert from mobi to mobi.
I hoped not to have this advice....
That means deleting the sideloaded books from my Kindle and loading them again. A very painstaking work.
Sigh.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Depends on how important covers are to you...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
mobi doesn't support covers as a metadata type, so it will be added as a new first page in the file but send to device will NOT update it.

azw3 is the newer version of mobi, and supports more cool stuff.

If you just want to see the cover in cover view on the home screen, then for books with an amazon ASIN (meaning it came from amazon, or you added it manually with special programs -- calibre will always use a UUID for this field if converting) calibre will upload a thumbnail to your device with the book. Thumbnails are located at %KindleDrive%\system\thumbnails\ and have the naming format "thumbnail_{insert books ASIN here}_EBOK_portrait.jpg" if from amazon.

Since these are sideloaded however, things are trickier. The Kindle will try to extract the cover, by assuming the first picture in the book is the cover, and fail, and the "thumbnail_{six random letters}.jpg" of sideloaded books will probably never get created. It is possible, however, that it will create a 0 KB file of that name, and by replacing it, you can give trick your Kindle into giving it a cover. But you'd have to guess which is which.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
mobi doesn't support covers as a metadata type, so it will be added as a new first page in the file but send to device will NOT update it.

azw3 is the newer version of mobi, and supports more cool stuff.

If you just want to see the cover in cover view on the home screen, then for books with an amazon ASIN (meaning it came from amazon, or you added it manually with special programs -- calibre will always use a UUID for this field if converting) calibre will upload a thumbnail to your device with the book. Thumbnails are located at %KindleDrive%\system\thumbnails\ and have the naming format "thumbnail_{insert books ASIN here}_EBOK_portrait.jpg" if from amazon.

Since these are sideloaded however, things are trickier. The Kindle will try to extract the cover, by assuming the first picture in the book is the cover, and fail, and the "thumbnail_{six random letters}.jpg" of sideloaded books will probably never get created. It is possible, however, that it will create a 0 KB file of that name, and by replacing it, you can give trick your Kindle into giving it a cover. But you'd have to guess which is which.
Thanks, I'l give it a try and see what happens.
Cheers

Tags
covers, kindle, thumbnail