Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Borrowing e-books from library - OverDrive vs Kindle

Which do you prefer if given an option when borrowing e-books from the library?

I like OverDrive because it has more font sizes and there's less spacing between sentences. But the download process is more cumbersome and I can't seem to download the same book to both iPad and iPhone from my library - NYPL.

I like the Kindle because once you borrow a book, it becomes part of your library associated with your account, so downloading to multiple devices is a breeze. Plus the bookmarking across devices.

So if I know I'm sticking to one device, I'll use OverDrive, otherwise, Kindle.

Which do you prefer? Has anyone downloaded the same book to OverDrive from their library to both iPhone and iPad?

Last edited by menevets; 11-01-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
My library Overdrive supports at least 3 downloads. I load it on my iPad, iPhone, and Kobo when I check out a book. (Ottawa Public Library)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I use both and for ease of use the Kindle is so much easier. No special apps or need to dload it to a PC first.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
eggy7
eggy7 began at the beginning.

Device: mtmt1520@gmail.com
Thumbs up it largely change our life.

I like doing this, too. It is so convenient that I can read any where any time.
eggy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I like Overdrive too, but sadly my local library uses something entirely different, which requires ADE, and will only download as a pdf file to be read either on my sony reader, or on the computer, or an epub, and that goes directly to Bluefire (which isnt such a bad choice, but there are others). The book source they use is pretty woeful and I have already borrowed and read the 5 books that interested me. Back to other sources, or borrowing hardcopy.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The primary use for my iPt4 is audio. I don't read ebooks on it because it has an LCD display and the display is too small.

I don't borrow ebooks on it either because the OverDrive app doesn't support Kindle books and I don't read ePub. But I occasionally use it to borrow MP3 audiobooks.

Since the vast majority of library audiobooks are in WMA, those are the ones I checkout most. The problem is, they're not supported by the OD app. So, I have to use my PC for them. It's a lengthy process too, because the files have to be converted from WMA to some Apple format for playback on iDevices. For example, "2001: A Space Odyssey" took 11.5 minutes to download to my iPod.

So in the end, it's pretty much a useless app for my iPod. However, it's a great app for my Android tablets, because I can check out Kindle books for my Kindle 4 without a computer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, library ebooks, overdrive