Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
rockster
Enthusiast
rockster began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to remove any space between sentences?

I saw that there is a option to "Remove spacing between paragraphs" but even if i check it it still leaves space between sentences after conversion. I am converting .txt to .mobi

Is there any way to remove any space that is between sentences?
rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Hi rockster,

Here's something to try. BUT FIRST: make a backup copy of your TXT file and keep it out of calibre. (This is just to play it safe and can be deleted if these instructions work for you.)

1. Convert TXT to TXT with "Remove spacing between paragraphs" selected.

2. On the "Remove Books" icon, use the down arrow to select "Remove files of a specific format" and delete "Original_TXT".

3. Convert TXT to MOBI.

This has worked for me ...
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
rockster
Enthusiast

Thanks, for the suggestion but this didn't make a difference.
I guess this is the best result i can get with calibre.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockster View Post
Thanks, for the suggestion but this didn't make a difference.
I guess this is the best result i can get with calibre.
Use the property inspector in the book viewer to get the clues how the paragraphs are coded.
Then attack the cause
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
@rockster:

Can you make a small sample .TXT file which demonstrates the problem and upload it to this thread? It may be that the extra spaces are in your source file rather than a result of the conversion.

(You may get more responses if you post in calibre's conversion sub-forum rather than in the main forum. There is also a helpful 'sticky' in the conversion sub-forum which describes the best way to ask a question about conversion. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697)

Last edited by Agama; 12-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved

Agama
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
rockster
Enthusiast

This is the file. The text is not on english.

[mod: Attachment deleted, as it was a book that's still in copyright.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-11-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm struggling a bit with that file - it's a tricky character set to read in my editor. Could you make a cut-down version in English, just a couple of paragraphs would be fine? A corresponding image showing the mobi problem would also be useful. I'm not quite sure what you mean by spaces between sentences as calibre usually compresses multiple consecutive spaces into a single space. Are you talking about horizontal or vertical spacing?

Still using the cut-down sample: Do you get the extra spaces if you convert to ePub?

An after-thought
Perhaps you are not talking about "extra" spaces but rather than you don't even want a single space betweeen any sentences?

This might look a bit odd.Rather like the sentences in this paragraph?Is this what you actually want to achieve?This paragraph has no spaces between sentences.It's not so easy to read!

Last edited by Agama; 12-10-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: After Thought
Old 12-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
An after-thought
Perhaps you are not talking about "extra" spaces but rather than you don't even want a single space betweeen any sentences?

This might look a bit odd.Rather like the sentences in this paragraph?Is this what you actually want to achieve?This paragraph has no spaces between sentences.It's not so easy to read!
rockster,

As suggested by Agama, are you talking about ALL the space?

Is the attached file still incorrect?

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-11-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
rockster
Enthusiast

Yes, i am talking about no space between single sentences or at least to shrink the space more. But i guess it is not possible.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockster View Post
Yes, i am talking about no space between single sentences or at least to shrink the space more. But i guess it is not possible.
You may get what you want by adjusting the Minimum line height under Look & Feel area.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #12
Agama
Guru

@rockster: I still think we need some clarification:

For example:if you remove spaces betweeen sentences:your text will be awkward to read.Like this paragraph.This has no spaces between sentences.It does not look right.I have never come across a book which does this.

Is this really what you want? If so then you are going to have to apply some regexes to your source document.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
rockster,

Is the attached file still incorrect?

pdurrant,

Thank you for deleting my attachment. I realized my mistake right after the post, but I don't know how to "un-attach".

Marty