Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
AZW3/KF8 & MBP ?

QUOTE : "For help with calibre and AZW3/KF8 formats, I suggest asking on the MobileRead Calibre Forum." UNQUOTE.

I asked about for assistance on "another place", and recieved the above suggestion from Mr.Alf ..........

In addition to the above , I also have some books I am unable to transfer from my Calibre Library to my Sony readers (3/650/T1) because they have the format MBP - or is that perhaps the same as AZW3/KF8 ?

I'd appreciate any advice, by PM if this is more appropriate than the open forum, and would be grateful if any help would come from the basis that I am Mr TechDunce - I generally get there, but with a struggle.
As to a 6 year-old is fine by me, I'm not proud at all - although nowadays a mildly techy 6 year-old is probably more competent than self ......
Many hopeful thanks.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

In addition to the above , I also have some books I am unable to transfer from my Calibre Library to my Sony readers (3/650/T1) because they have the format MBP - or is that perhaps the same as AZW3/KF8 ?
So far as I know, and I'm certainly not a Kindle expert, the mbp file is generated by Kindle and used to store the last place in the mobi file which you reached. That is, it is not an ebook file in itself.

I think you'll find that all mbp files are associated with a mobi file. The easiest way to test whether I'm right would be to delete the mbp file and see whether the mobi file opens at the beginning.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
So far as I know, and I'm certainly not a Kindle expert, the mbp file is generated by Kindle and used to store the last place in the mobi file which you reached. That is, it is not an ebook file in itself.

I think you'll find that all mbp files are associated with a mobi file. The easiest way to test whether I'm right would be to delete the mbp file and see whether the mobi file opens at the beginning.
You're absolutely right, and if the OP has any 'lone' .mbp files (not associated with an AZW/Mobi file), he can delete them; they serve no purpose on their own.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
QUOTE : "For help with calibre and AZW3/KF8 formats, I suggest asking on the MobileRead Calibre Forum." UNQUOTE.

I asked about for assistance on "another place", and recieved the above suggestion from Mr.Alf ..........
You haven't explained what your problem is with AZW3/KF8 files and calibre. Not everyone 'here' reads the comment 'there'.

I think that you're reporting a problem transferring AZW3 files to your Kindle using calibre.

So details of the Kindle model (and firmware number), and version number of calibre that you're using would be helpful to the people doing reading this thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, all is well now - thanks to all contributions, I have my answer, I know what they are, and I have deleted them OK with no problems to the "twin" version.
Many thanks - I'm usually enlightened when I get what it means !
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard

Spoke too soon - I ran Calibre, selected "Add", up pops list, I hit "Details" to see everything has arrived, and check dates - only to find every single title in my list (not just most recent) now has an MBP 1KB file, as well as the original !

What's going on here, anyone know please ?

I've started deleting the things, but does everyone else have this problem ?

It's a pain in the ... neck, frankly.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I've started deleting the things, but does everyone else have this problem ?
You mean the "problem" of not being able to simply ignore anything and everything about MBP files and just letting them do whatever it is they do??... No, I don't suffer from that particular issue.

But yes... I do see all the MBP files when I point calibre's "Add" dialog directly to Kindle for PC's library folder or the documents folder of my actual device. That's where MBP files are supposed to be (although nothing "terrible" will happen if you delete them). But just because I see them in calibre's "Add" dialog doesn't mean I have to actually select them to import. I ignore them. Because I know they're not ebooks.

Or if it troubles you that greatly, just change the file-type dropdown (bottom right-hand corner of the "Add" dialog) to something a little more discriminating than "Books" or "All files". Then you won't see them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You mean the "problem" of not being able to simply ignore anything and everything about MBP files and just letting them do whatever it is they do??... No, I don't suffer from that particular issue.

But yes... I do see all the MBP files when I point calibre's "Add" dialog directly to Kindle for PC's library folder or the documents folder of my actual device. That's where MBP files are supposed to be (although nothing "terrible" will happen if you delete them). But just because I see them in calibre's "Add" dialog doesn't mean I have to actually select them to import. I ignore them. Because I know they're not ebooks.

Or if it troubles you that greatly, just change the file-type dropdown (bottom right-hand corner of the "Add" dialog) to something a little more discriminating than "Books" or "All files". Then you won't see them.
Thanks Diap ...... but being Mr. TechDunce, could I bore you by going through your post by para's with my probably dumb questions?

1) Yes, I suppose I could ignore them, but it means I have double the files to check every time to see if I haven't added before, so I'd rather not have 'em at all !
(And anyway, why on earth do I suddenly have them ? I never used to have MPB duplicate files on everything I got from Kindle. I simply don't know why I'm getting them now ....)
Quite apart from the fact that thanks to Amazon helping me through re-installing a new K4PC, all my list for some reason have different dates, which is very confusing to me of little brain .......

2) Ummm ... well, I did go through the list and deleted all the 1KB , or sometimes 0KB files that were with the "normal" ones .... and something mildly "terrible" has happened !
By doing so, I've somehow deleted my whole Calibre library !
The books are still on my K4PC, in the original EBOKs .... but all are now AZW so I dont think I'll be able to add them all, one by one, to Calibre again.
What is going on ?

3) And, sorry Diap, be gentle with me, how do I change the dropdown - which I can't find on the bottom rt of my "Add" list , do you mean "Files of Type" ? And what do I do to say no, I dont want these blooming MPB files thank you .....
Finally, I installed Mr. Alf's latest tools, and latest Calibre - is it possible that the new tools may have kicked this all off ? Bloody 'eck, I do hope not.

Oh lawks amercy ......
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard

Hang on, I just tried to reload a title from the list, in AZW (Hitch Hikers Guide ....) and am told already in my library - so where iss my library hiding ?

The green shaded "Go" panel shows "authors" which I don't think it did before.
The little bookshelf picture icon top rightish shows 103 books and when selected, shows me a "Choose your Calibre library" pop-up.....
Now I'm totally confused ....
Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard

Right, belay a bit of that ... I opened Calibre again.....and my library has come back where I expected it too - but my "Add" list is still all azw ....
I'm packing up for today - my brain hurts ....
Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I guess I just don't quite understand what you have going on. I just know that MBPs are not ebooks. They're ebook companion files. I don't add them to calibre. Ever. Maybe some people do -- since they show up under the Files of type "Book" filter of calibre's "Add" dialog, after all -- but I don't.

If you're adding books to calibre from your Kindle for PC library (the "My Kindle Content" folder). You're always going to see MBP files there. You can delete them from that folder all you want, but whenever you open a book in Kindle for PC (or download a new book), they're just going to be created all over again. You're fighting a losing battle. There's supposed to be MBP files there. You can't stop them from being created there. You shouldn't try.

I'm not exactly sure why you're only now having this issue, but I can assure you, it's not because of Alf's newest tools. Something has changed in your normal workflow, is all I can figure out. Have you always been adding books to calibre directly from the My Kindle Content (Kindle for PC) folder? If so, you should have been seeing the MBP files all along. Because they've definitely been there all along.

Changing the "Files of Type" filter on calibre's "Add" dialog won't get rid of the MBP files, it will just filter them out so you don't see them (temporarily). But you really should ultimately find a way to live in peace and harmony with MBP files, because frankly, they ain't going anywhere. Just nudge 'em out of the way (sort by Type) and keep going.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
If I remember back to when I was regularly using a Kindle and Windows I think the mbp files were 'hidden' files, and didn't show up. They started to show up when I set the folder to 'show hidden files'. Could that have happened with you, Carpetmojo?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The green shaded "Go" panel shows "authors" which I don't think it did before.
The green shaded "Go" panel is the search bar and if it is shaded green it means you have an active search that is limiting what you see in the list. In this case it appears that you decided to search for "authors". To clear a search, simply click the icon directly to the right of the "Go" button and your complete list of books will reappear.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard

Many thanks - all !

Diap, no, the pesky mbp's sit in my "Add" list, but I at least stopped meself from putting them into Calibre ! And I don't add from My K Content - I've only just discovered that exists ! But I'm reassured young Alf is innocent ....
However, perhaps Alex has an answer - I shall have a look this p.m. - fingies crossed, 'cos that sounds like "it was" , hidden.
And finally, DrOH - terrific, spot on ! Worked a treat merci .

It's increasingly becoming a distinct possibility that I unknowingly (easy fo moi) or perhaps stupidly (more likely) hit the wrong button/s , possibly in the wrong sequence at the wrong time, perhaps en out of curiosity (more doubtful).
But I shall persevere, and follow all suggestions gratefully recieved.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard

Alex, sorry, but where would the "Show Hidden Files" option be ? I assumed it was on the "Add" panel, but don't have it there - any ideas please ?