Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: You think the Economy is influencing the Ebook sector?
Yes, and the Ebook Sector is greatly suffering from it! 2 6.45%
Yes, but the Ebook Sector is only minorly suffering from it,or greater on some fields 14 45.16%
I think the Ebook Sector is largely uninfluenced by the current economy 15 48.39%
The Ebook Sector doesn't even feel the economy's bad times! 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When money is tight, dedicated anything is usually a bad idea. However, there's always the liklihood that you already have a device you can use to read e-books (a cellphone, PDA, or computer), and therefore do not need a dedicated device just to enjoy e-books.

I can afford a dedicated device, strictly speaking... but I prefer to spend my money on other things*, use my PDA--and maybe, someday, my cellphone--to read literature (and do many other tasks as well), and save my money.

Since small electronic devices like cellphones are becoming pretty ubiquitous, there's no need for the economy to impact anyone's access to e-books based on needing a device. If you can afford a cellphone, you can afford an e-book, and you're already set up to read it.

*Ask me about Valentines day! No, better you don't... for propriety's sake, I'd have to leave out too many of the good details!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #17
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Okay, so tell me about Valentine's Day... PM if necessary...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
* Valentine's Day - we're asking .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
*Ask me about Valentines day! No, better you don't... for propriety's sake, I'd have to leave out too many of the good details!
And a third person asking
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh...

Okay: I planned V-day with a getaway into D.C., not far from Adams Morgan, one of our favorite parts of town. While in NYC, I had bought a niiiice necklace from a 5th Avenue jeweler. I arranged for a stay at the Omni Shorham hotel, which had a Valentine's Day package, and a reservation at the hotel's signature restaurant, Robert's, and at a restaurant in Adams Morgan (it was cold, so I wasn't sure my wife would want to go out or not).

We checked in, I presented the necklace, then we went down to dinner at Robert's (the cold won): Another V-day package, a 4-course meal for a reasonable price (though they got us on the wine!).

Afterward, we decided to walk off dinner, so we went into Adams Morgan anyway! But every place that looked interesting was already packed, and it was getting colder, so we came back to the hotel.

Upon entering our room, we discovered that room service had come in, dropped off a bottle of French champagne, and left a trail of rose petals leading from the door to the bed, with more rose petals shaped in a heart on the turned-down bed. After a few drinks... (cut to crashing ocean waves)

Next morning... after (cut to more crashing ocean waves), we had complimentary breakfast in bed, and checked out an hour or so later. On the way home, I picked up some flowers and stopped at my Mother's place, where we spent some time with her before finally going home and feeding the cat breakfast... at about 2PM.

Are we good?
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #21
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good?

excellent ....
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #22
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Sigh...
<snip>
I arranged for a stay at the Omni Shorham hotel
<snip>
(cut to crashing ocean waves)
<snip>
(cut to more crashing ocean waves)
<snip>
What's with all the ocean waves in your hotel room? Couldn't you get a proper room?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Definitely good!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
What's with all the ocean waves in your hotel room? Couldn't you get a proper room?
It was a good room... it went From Here To Eternity.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
GeoffC

And Back Again...?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
I voted but not exactly happy with my vote choice, I don't think my answer was there due in part to the naming of the thread. The thread is 'ebook sector' but your initial post seems more like you are looking at the eReader market.

At this time those are 2 diverse topics, I see eReader sales being hard hit right now - money and credit issues are making it hard to spend $$ on dedicated devices, and Amazon's newest Kindle and the prototypes of next the round of models coming late this year/next year making the large dollar expenditure hard to justify.

eBook market on the hand should be booming in this market. Cell phones are on the rise faster then ever before people are dropping expensive, traditional land lines and switching to mobile phones. In the mobile phone market touch screen phones are being snatched up as fast as they are manufactured, just look at the lines for the releases of the iPhone and Blackberry Storm. Even without a marketing push these mobile devices are quickly grabbing up Stanza and other mobile readers.

And frankly unemployed people read a lot, it's something to fill time and something to do while sitting and waiting in some lobby somewhere waiting for the next interview. When Job hunting you have the cell phone close by 24/7 so you don't miss that call. Reading is a good use with it right there.

If Amazon does decide to open their ebook collection to cell phones or one of the other major ebook sellers makes a major push marketing to cell phones, with providing the proper support, eBooks could explode right now.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, economy