Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Smashwords end-of-year sale Dec 25 - Jan 1

I've seen a couple of folks mention this sale in various genre threads, but thought it was probably worth a general post, for folks who don't follow specific genres.

For those who don't know (probably no one, but WTH), Smashwords has a few sales each year, where various titles will be marked down anywhere from 25% to 100% with different coupons.

link: https://www.smashwords.com/shelves/promos/1/any/any

Smashwords has a pretty unusual selection of authors, many of whom are self-pub, but some of whom are authors who are self-re-pubbing previous conventionally published works.

It can be really hard to find things on the Smashwords site, so one trick you can use is to search this Deals forum for threads with Smashwords in the title, from past sales, and then check out the posts in the threads themselves for authors/titles that you might be interested in. Many of the same titles/authors go on sale in every sale, so if it was on sale in the past, it has a pretty good chance of being on sale again.

Anyway, enjoy...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
It can be really hard to find things on the Smashwords site, so one trick you can use is to search this Deals forum for threads with Smashwords in the title, from past sales, and then check out the posts in the threads themselves for authors/titles that you might be interested in. Many of the same titles/authors go on sale in every sale, so if it was on sale in the past, it has a pretty good chance of being on sale again.
A word of warning: the new interface makes it even harder to search. I ended up reverting to the old interface. Anyone would be forgiven for thinking they weren’t interested in letting people find books they wanted to purchase.

I find it’s best to create an account and favourite authors you’re interested in, and search for deals via the individual author pages, but note that some authors appear to have multiple pages. Otherwise, you have to trawl through a huge amount of dross with blurbs written in bad English.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
A word of warning: the new interface makes it even harder to search. I ended up reverting to the old interface. Anyone would be forgiven for thinking they weren’t interested in letting people find books they wanted to purchase.
How do you revert to the old interface? I can't see an option anywhere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:19 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How do you revert to the old interface? I can't see an option anywhere.
On the left side of the home page just above the blue categories header there is a "switch to classic interface" button.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
On the left side of the home page just above the blue categories header there is a "switch to classic interface" button.

Thanks.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few mystery authors whose names I recognize (even if barely) with titles for free in the sale (or possibly long-term free)...

Connie Shelton - some first-in-series titles for free and second/third titles discounted

Alan Cook - lots of titles for free

Susan Slater - some first-in-series titles for free and second titles discounted

EDIT/ADD: Rebecca Forster - a couple of first-in-series titles for free, and a bunch of later and non-series titles at 50% and 75% off (note she also has some box sets whose prices may be close to or better than the individual titles with the 75% off - I prefer not to have to separate titles from box sets, but YMMV...)

(Note: I'm using SYKM as my guide to "not self-pub" since I am traveling and don't have a lot of time to research for myself.)

Last edited by sufue; 12-30-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: add Forster
Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

A couple more mystery authors with 50% and 75% off on at least some SYKM listed titles...

Josh Lanyon

Alice Loweecey