Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 02:53 AM   #781
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
The "Revised ed. Edition [sic]" of Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design is available at Amazon for only $1.99.

The author is Stephen C. Meyer.

The book has a 4.5-star (829) rating at Amazon, despite the fact that the 1-star ratings are way out of proportion to the rest. The harder-to-please (in my opinion, which is not necessarily that of the management) GoodReads crowd gives the book a strong 4.12 (740) rating.

The book is large, at 571 pages. At least a couple of reviewers pointed out that the size of the type is very small; so there must be a lot jam-packed in those 571 pages. I'm not sure if this is a good test or not, but I looked at the preview, and the type there is really small.

Link to the book at Amazon.

My super-secret source says that the promo price ends Feb. 3, but keep in mind that specials have been known to end earlier than announced.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-01-2019 at 03:03 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #782
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thanks!
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2019, 02:15 AM   #783
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fresh Eyes on Famous Bible Sayings: Discovering New Insights in Familiar Passages, one of a series of books, is free. The freedom lasts through today, 1/2/19, only (the markdown started yesterday, but I missed seeing it ). The author is Doug Newton.

Description
What does it mean to “put on the full armor of God”? What does knowing “the kingdom of God is within you” have to do with relationships? How does Jesus’ use of the “Golden Rule” differ from versions of the rule found in other religions?

Pastor Doug Newton answers these questions and more using Scripture-reading techniques readers can then use on their own to discover life-changing truths from the Scripture passages they know the most.

The other two books in the series are on sale, also--through 1/8/19--one for $1.99; the other for $2.99.

The ratings. The ratings? What about the ratings?? What difference does it make--the book's free! Okay, the straight answer--there aren't enough of them to get a valid average figure, but what's there are respectable.

208 pages.

Navigate to the website here, to find out more about the book and/or to purchase it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-02-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #784
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon.com has a book by a renowned scholar, some other guy that I just happened to come across, and Hugh Ross.

Pope Benedict XVI The Fathers of the Church: From Clement of Rome to Augustine of Hippo for $1.99.

Sidney Greidanus - Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method for $3.99.

Hugh Ross - More Than a Theory (Reasons to Believe): Revealing a Testable Model for Creation for $0.99.

Darwin's Doubt (mentioned above) is still $1.99. Maybe the super-secret source knows the score.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #785
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Amazon.com has a book by a renowned scholar, some other guy that I just happened to come across, and Hugh Ross.
<snip>
Sidney Greidanus - Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method for $3.99.
<snip>
Thanks for the post.

This is an Eerdmans title--one of several that they currently have marked down. One way to get at all of them is to do a search for "Eerdmans" (enclosing the term in quotation marks helps get better returns, for some unknown reason) of Kindle ebooks. Filter by price, low to high.

A word about the filtering process . . . . it and Jeff Bezos are perfect (well, Bezos' (soon to be?) ex-wife may disagree about Jeff, at least). You will get a lot of returns, initially that appear not to be sorted well or at all. I think that what is happening is that the prices for other formats are included. So, if a third-party has a used dead-tree book for $0.01, guess what? It's going to be ahead of a hypothetical Kindle book that is $0.02. So, you still have to do some manual sorting.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-16-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Advert
Old 01-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #786
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Westminster John Knox Sale, with Huge Reductions from List Prices.

Please accept my sincere apology for not posting this earlier--it ends tomorrow, Jan. 18; WJK probably uses U.S. Eastern Time; at least its HQ (in Louisville) is in the Eastern Time zone. It's a big sale (not in size so much, as in the amount/percentage of price reductions) by Westminster John Knox.

Now, I'll feel free to make excuses. For one, the sale, called the "Ebook Flash Sale," was announced only a few days ago. Secondly, it's only on a small percentage of the books that they publish. Thirdly, it is short in duration.

But, again, what the sale lacks in the time regard, it makes up for in big price reductions. How "big" is the sale, in that regard? Well, I saw one ebook marked down at least (I'll explain that in a minute) 92% from the "list price" (I wish that companies wouldn't use "list price" without stating if it is the hard copy list price or the digital list price, the digital price being almost always smaller; however, you still can get an idea of how huge the markdowns are).

If you think of the theological positions of "Christian Interest" having 3 major positions--"conservative," "moderate," and "liberal," I would characterize the bulk of WJK publications leaning left of "moderate" or right of "liberal."

One very helpful feature of WJK's Sale is that they give links to all of the major book sellers for every book in their sale. Utlilizing that feature, I found that Christian Book consistently has prices less, and by wide margins, than the other sellers. A great way to save even more in this sale!

This link should take you to the sale.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #787
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How have our great forebears (and fivebears) interpreted the scriptures?

Alan J. Hauser & Duane F. Watson (editors) - A History of Biblical Interpretation, Vol. 2: The Medieval though the Reformation Periods for $2.99 at Amazon.com.

Volume 1 is $40.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #788
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
How have our great forebears (and fivebears) interpreted the scriptures?

Alan J. Hauser & Duane F. Watson (editors) - A History of Biblical Interpretation, Vol. 2: The Medieval though the Reformation Periods for $2.99 at Amazon.com.

Volume 1 is $40.
The second volume has been marked way, way down a time or two in the past; I picked it up on one of those occasions.

FYI--if you have one or more copies missing in a hardcopy set of three or four volumes, it is called a "broken set." I don't know if there is a term or expression for the absence of one volume of a two-volume set. It may be that way in the ebook business, too--I just don't know.

I have never seen Volume 1, of the ebook in question, marked down, but I'm going to try to go to ereaderiq.com, in a few minutes, to check the price history of the tome.

I'm also going to check the prices in the hardcopy used book market for it, in a few minutes. (Please keep this a secret--but there is bound to be a much cheaper copy there than $40! I think. I may give in to my passions and lusts, and buy a hardcopy, in order to have a complete set. Oh, I am so weak! I'm so ashamed of myself! ).

A question: if you have a hardcopy set, one or more of the volumes are missing, and you replace it with a digital copy, what is the word or expression for the resulting set? I don't know of one! I think that "mixed marriage" would be a good one, but that still has some "baggage" associated with it. MobileReaders, would you please make some suggestions, and post it (If we get any, I'm sure that I'll need to have a mod move the discussion to a different forum, and/or subforum, and/or thread)? There is no physical award for the winner, just the knowledge that you'll have that you've made the world a better place. That is unless the word or expression has never been used before (for that use?), and you file the term or expression with the copyright office. Then you might be able to make royalties for every time that it is used in an advertisement and such like. Maybe. You might be filthy rich!!! BTW--whoever you are, I consider you a very dear friend.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #789
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Are you replacing or filling in your collection? I would call it a mixed format set.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #790
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Are you replacing or filling in your collection? I would call it a mixed format set.

Dale
I didn't clearly (or accurately?) express myself--I have volume 1 in digital form; I don't have volume 2 in any format. Volume 2 looks as though it's rarely on sale, so I'm considering buying the paper-based format of volume 2, in order to complete the set.

I like your description--it describes well the situation, and is short and to the point.

Ebooks are still new enough that it may be that no one has created a moniker for a set made up of (a) digital volume(s) and (a) paper-based volume(s). I know practically nothing--yet--about copyrighting trade names and such, but if it was me, and there was a quick way to check for it, I would check to see if "mixed format" was copyrightable [I know, there is no such word], and if it was, consider buying the copyright, I'd probably do the same for the domain name, too, while I was at it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #791
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Gene Moody has may kinde ebooks available at amazon for sale but has the pdf version available for free at the link below.
http://www.genemoody.com/manuals.html

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 01-20-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 AM   #792
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Please ignore my post #788. It's just about worthless.

For a period of approximately one month, October 2018, the book A History of Biblical Interpretation, Vol. 1: The Medieval though the Reformation Periods Alan J. Hauser & Duane F. Watson (editors)dropped in price to the range of $3.19 - $3.99. Checking my Amazon account, I saw that I had purchased it that month for $3.99.

Honestly, I'm not gloating. If I didn't post it during that time, I'm going to feel like I failed in doing my job.

I'm going to go back and check my posts in October 2018. I hope that I or someone else had posted it.

The price had held fairly steady around the $40 mark, until at least January of 2017. There is a way to go back further than that, but I haven't ever figured out how to do it.

Those who didn't get the deal might consider having ereaderiq.com (the site from whom I got most of facts above came from them) them do a price track--they'll notify you when the price is the same or lower than the price that you tell them.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-20-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 AM   #793
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The book under discussion is an Eerdmans book.

In posts #708 and #720, I wrote fairly extensively about the Eerdmans sale, that this book was in. I highlighted one book in the sale, but it wasn't the one under discussion now.

I was glad to go back and see that information, again. I had kept wondering why a book, that was consistently around $40, all of a sudden dropped to around the $3 mark! Then, just as suddenly, it increased back to around the $40 mark! It's obvious that when Eerdmans decided to have a sale, they "threw in the book" under discussion as one of them!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-20-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #794
egf
egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle for PC
Word Biblical Commentary volumes on sale $7.99 each

Zondervan Academic has put all the volumes of the Word Biblical Commentary on sale for $7.99 through 1/27/2019. I know it's not dirt cheap, but some of the volumes run about $50 (and a whole lot more on Logos).

I was really sorry to see this - I'd just resolved to add only to Logos (no more Kindle), but I just blew that resolution!

Here is the link:
https://media.harpercollinschristian...book-sale-2019
egf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #795
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
If you missed it before, the FCA's Athlete's Bible: Strong Edition is free again, probably just for a day. It's the NLT with study notes and some sports devotional material.

B&N
Kobo
Google Play
Amazon

This edition has a formatting glitch that's either irritating or amusing, depending on my mood: every chapter is numbered "1".
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote