Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
jshoughton
Enthusiast
jshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony Reader Wifi (PRS-T1) & Nook Simple Touch
Kobo removed mobile device only eBooks from store how worried about future access?

Hi,

I purchased The Walking Dead Vol 1 - 18 on Kobo unfortunately not realising the format was only accessible on mobile devices (iOS, Android etc) so no downloadable copy to store. They removed them from sale on the store some while ago, how worried should I be that I wont be able to access the purchased eBooks in the future?

I had a big argument with Kobo at the time I purchased them as they were available DRM free and downloadable at practicaly every other store. The publisher told me it was Kobo restricting use, and Kobo told me it was the files proivided by the publisher. I know who I'm inclined to believe!

Anyone else in the same boat?
jshoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See many discussions on this in the Kobo forum. The issue is that when Kobo receive material from publishers that are detected as being epub3 format, their process results in a kEpub only format book with no ePub version available.

One solution that many use is to use a DRM removal tool on the material downloaded via Kobo Desktop and then treat the resulting content as a valid epub2 format ePub. Yes you might want to use a calibre plugin (Modify ePub I think) to strip out the spans and other things added by the kEpub format.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert