Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #106
WJCronon
WJCronon began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin XD
I posted about this earlier, but want to count myself in the group that is experiencing this problem with large libraries. My suspicion is that the fact that there seem to be fewer problems on the iPhone compared with the iPad is that (I'm guessing) most of us with large libraries don't carry nearly as many books on our iPhones as we do on our iPads. I'm able to sync with no problem with my iPhone using calibre 2.1.0, but the plug-in crashes instantly (with a database corruption error message) as soon as I try to sync with the much larger Marvin collection on my iPad. There are no such problems with calibre 1.48 using the old plug-ins.
WJCronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The size of the library was one of my thoughts. If everyone who had the problem was reporting they had thousands of books, then size might be it. But, as there have been reports with less than 500 books, it makes it less likely.

The other questions that come to mind are:

- What was Marvin doing when you connected? I haven't used Marvin enough to know if that is a meaningful question.
- How link since Marvin had been started?
- Which device? It seems to be mainly the iPad, but I don't know if there is a pattern for which iPad.
- Which iOS version?
- What operating system? I think there have been reports for both Windows and Mac.

After writing those questions, could someone who is seeing the problem, restart their iPad, start Marvin and connect without doing anything else? The idea is to have the device and app in the cleanest state possible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not remove the copying of the library and try access the library directly?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #109
AndrewG
Enthusiast
AndrewG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad using Marvin
davidfor, in response to your post 107, here are the results of the experiment you suggested:

Using iPhone 4s, Mac OSX 10.9.4, 2014 Retina Mac Book Pro, Marvin (latest version)

calibre, version 2.2.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 501, in _books
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_vYrEbm/R56zow_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 285, in books
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_vYrEbm/R56zow_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 2352, in _restore_from_snapshot
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_vYrEbm/R56zow_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 2328, in _validate_mainDb_profile
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_vYrEbm/R56zow_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 1579, in _compare_mainDb_profiles
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_vYrEbm/R56zow_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 2109, in _profile_db
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Using iPad2, Mac OSX 10.9.4, 2014 Retina Mac Book Pro, Marvin (latest version)

calibre, version 2.2.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 501, in _books
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_xLmv8p/2lKiU3_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 285, in books
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_xLmv8p/2lKiU3_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 2352, in _restore_from_snapshot
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_xLmv8p/2lKiU3_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 2328, in _validate_mainDb_profile
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_xLmv8p/2lKiU3_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 1579, in _compare_mainDb_profiles
File "/var/folders/g4/jj3y1bvs4h53f4tpsc7_d3x40000gn/T/calibre_2.2.0_tmp_xLmv8p/2lKiU3_ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 2108, in _profile_db
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

If you refer to my post 105, you will see that I have found a method of arriving at a situation which crashes calibre 2.2 but not 1.48. I suspect that this should be repeatable by anyone who wishes to get a test case to look at.

As always, I hope that this is helpful.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #110
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Pardon my asking... Are there any Windows users experiencing issues like this? If not were there any changes to USB handling that affected Macs only in the 2.x calibre builds? For instance 2.0 did introduce new support for MTP devices which presumably means a newer version of libusb (or similar component).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #111
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@davidfor: This should make many MANY people VERY happy. (As an aside, it's about time that YOU start accepting paypal thanks from people for all the work YOU have done).
Seconded, thirded...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #112
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Pardon my asking... Are there any Windows users experiencing issues like this? If not were there any changes to USB handling that affected Macs only in the 2.x calibre builds? For instance 2.0 did introduce new support for MTP devices which presumably means a newer version of libusb (or similar component).
The iOS drivers dont use libusb, they use libimobiledevice, which IIIRC has its own USB handling stack via libusbmuxd. It may be possible to replace the dylibs in the calibre 2.x bundle with those from the calibre 1.48 bundle and see if it makes a difference (although they are compiled with different compilers).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #113
AndrewG
Enthusiast
AndrewG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad using Marvin
Well done PeterT. The problem is definitely a Mac OSX problem only. I have Parallels on my Mac and just tried installing Calibre 2.2 on a Windows 7 virtual machine, using the Calibre library from the Mac. It worked perfectly with both my iPhone and my iPad. No problems at all.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #114
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Well done PeterT.
Indeed, well spotted, PeterT. I'm going to risk updating on my Windows machine now. Cross your fingers!
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #115
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I forgot that the iOS reader apps plugin doesn't work in Mavericks... and installed it... which then led to a Calibre (2.3) crash. I've now managed to uninstall that (and MarvinXD since it cant be used without) and all is good again.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I forgot that the iOS reader apps plugin doesn't work in Mavericks... and installed it... which then led to a Calibre (2.3) crash. I've now managed to uninstall that (and MarvinXD since it cant be used without) and all is good again.
Seems to me, that Mavericks is a lot less compatible then it should be. I think Apple is charging too much for it (I know it's free).
Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #117
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seems to me, that Mavericks is a lot less compatible then it should be. I think Apple is charging too much for it (I know it's free).
Nownow, dont be like that
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Nownow, dont be like that
I'm just going by what I've read as I use Windows.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #119
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
FWIW, it all worked fine on Mavericks for me before the 2.X updates. Was able to use both plugins happily.

Alas, now that the plugins are updated it doesn't work in 1.48 either. Let me know if there are any tests I can run to help track down what is happening on OS/X.

Last edited by ChristopherTD; 09-14-2014 at 05:08 AM.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #120
Arfur_K
Arfur_K began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Wireless and iPad Air
ios reader applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
kaufman, lamp, you both should uninstall the plugins completely first (the following describes the procedure for iOS reader apps but it's similar for Marvin XD - if it smells like either, kill it):

- Go to Preferences | Advanced | Plugins | Device Interface plugins, select iOS reader applications.
- Click Remove plugin.
- Click Apply.
- Go to Preferences | Advanced | Miscellaneous, click Open calibre configuration directory.
- Open the plugins folder.
- Delete iOS reader applications.json.
- Delete the iOS_reader_applications_resources folder.
- Restart calibre.

Then try installing the plugin(s) again.

And please always state your operating system. And if there's a "Show details" button, it helps to click it and copy & paste the text. :-)
Thanks Wulf and David for updating this plugin.

After upgrading from Calibre 1.48 to 2.23 I was also unable to configure the IOS Applications Plugin for the reasons posted by Kaufman and Lamp. I am pleased to report that complete removal and re-installation of IOS Applications and Marvin XD plugins (as per Wulf's instructions) evreything works as it should.

These are my devices:
Windows PC with Windows 7 Premium 64bit installed
iPad Air with IOS version 7.12 installed
Arfur_K is offline   Reply With Quote