Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Sideloading Non-Amazon Apps

Folks - there are a lot of threads/posts scattered about with instructions for sideloading apps and mentioning some apps that can be successfully loaded.

Please post directions here for newbies on how to sideload non-Amazon apps, and start listing apps that can be successfully loaded onto the Fire. Including links to download the apk files will be most helpful too.

Let's build our own app library here!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

How to Sideload Apps:
I recommend that you install the free ES File Explorer available through the Amazon App Store. You will need an app like it to install sideloaded *.apk files which are apps BTW.
  1. Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.
  2. Google your app and search for the APK file. Try looking on the developer's website.
  3. Download the APK file to your computer.
  4. Copy the APK file to the root on the Fire via a USB connection to your computer. After copied, disconnect the Fire from the computer by clicking Disconnect on the bottom of the Fire's screen and then unplug the USB cable.
  5. Start ES File Explorer and select the APK file then select install when prompted.
  6. All done.
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
How to Side Load Files (Apps, Documents etc.) using Wireless LAN

You can transfer Apps, Movies, Music, Photos, and Documents from Shared folders on your PC to the Kindle Fire using your Wireless LAN, without using a USB cable. Here's how:

1) Enable Network Discovery, File Sharing, and Media Sharing on your PC (Windows Vista / 7: Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center.

Network Discovery: On

File Sharing: On

Public Folder Sharing: On (Read Only)

Password Protected Sharing: Off

Media Sharing: On if you want to share Music etc. from your PC to your Fire.

Once this is done, create a Shared Folder on your PC using Windows Explorer (e.g. Fire Apps). To share the Folder right click the created Folder and select Share. You can choose to share this with Everyone or just select users. If your PC has a Firewall or Internet Security Suite you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the Trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.

2) Download ES file Explorer (free from Amazon App Store)

3) Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.

4) Open ES File Explorer

5) In the Upper Left Hand Corner Touch Local

6) You should receive a Change View selection

7) Select LAN

8) Select Menu, New, and Scan

9) You should see a list of PCs on your LAN that have Network Discovery enabled

10) Select your PC and enter Password as needed and the Shared Folder you created should be visible

11) From here you can merely touch an App to "copy" and install it to your Fire. Once the Fire finishes downloading the App, you should be prompted to install it.

12) You can LONG press (press and hold) any App, Document, Movie, Music, or any other file in your Shared Folder and select Copy. You can also select Multiple Files and Copy and Paste them all at once to the Fire. Press the little icon in the right hand corner and another set of icons will appear. Press the one with the plus sign to select multiple files. Once all files are selected LONG press one file and Copy.

13) Back in the top left corner press LAN and select Local

14) Select the Local Folder where you want to copy files. You can use an existing folder create a New Folder using the Menu button.

14) You will see a small slide Tab at the bottom of the screen. Slide it up and long press any file and select Paste or Paste All.

15) Your file should now be on the Fire

16) This procedure is really much easier than it sounds. Plus you eliminate having to use the USB cable every time you want to transfer a document or side load an App.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-22-2011 at 09:28 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've sideloaded the following apps and they work well.
  • Mantano Reader 1.6.4
  • Opera Mini 6.5
  • Satellite AR 2.4
  • Screen Filter 1.2
  • Speed Test 2.0.8
  • YouTube 2.3.4

Doesn't work:
  • Gmail 2.3

Last edited by jswinden; 11-17-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Radnor
Radnor doesn't litterRadnor doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Is there an easy way to get Android Market apps without actually having an Android? I've tried using the emulator but it's complicated, and ultimately hangs on trying to authenticate with Google via the Market app.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I installed getjar and installed the Nook and kobo Reading apps and they work great.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Help, please! which version of Mantano did you install? I just tried to install 1.6.3 off GetJar and it says it's not compatible with the Fire!

I am Cdn and can't get into the !!! Kindle AppStore. Have sideloaded Astro, etc., etc, and am using dropbox to install things. I can't find a Mantano apk to install ... I even want to buy the full version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've sideloaded the following apps and they work well.
  • Mantano Reader
  • Opera Mini
  • Screen Filter
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnor View Post
Is there an easy way to get Android Market apps without actually having an Android? I've tried using the emulator but it's complicated, and ultimately hangs on trying to authenticate with Google via the Market app.
Because this is an Android based tablet, there are plenty of App Resources on the Web. To their credit, Amazon did not block any of them. Here are just a few places you can download Apps directly using the Stock Browser. Many of these sites offer App Store or Marketplace Apps that can be installed directly on the Fire. When you download the App Store or Marketplace App you will need to touch the Notification Bar on the top of the Fire and press the App to launch the installation. These are all reputable Android App websites and I visit them frequently with my other Android tablets.

SlideME: http://slideme.org/en
http://slideme.org/application/sam

SlideMe Marketplace App works on the Fire

1 Mobile: http://www.1mobile.com/
http://www.1mobile.com/1mobile-market-79873.html

1Mobile Market App works on the Fire

GetJar: http://www.m.getjar.com/

GetJar App Store Works on the Fire

Select Quick Download. Enter Code 16914

Soc.io Mall: http://soc.io/

Socio Mall App works on the Fire

AndroidPIT: http://www.androidpit.com
http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/app-center

AndroidPIT App Center App works on the Fire

Other great sites for Apps:

Freeware Lovers: http://www.freewarelovers.com/

Select Android Device. When downloading Apps from Freeware Lovers you will have to press Click Here on the Downloading Page to initiate the download. To install downloaded App touch the Notification Bar on the top of the Fire and then touch the downloaded App to launch the install.

Panda App: http://download.pandaapp.com/?app=so...roller=android

Android Community: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/

Handango: http://www.handango.com/catalog/Soft...oductType=free

All of these Apps are Free. I expect the Fire will be a supported device in short order and you will be able to take full advantage of everything Handango has to offer.

Aproov: http://www.aproov.com/

Android-Softwares: http://android-softwares.blogspot.com/

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
YouTube videos look great in HQ! Here's the app.

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/youtube
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Help, please! which version of Mantano did you install? I just tried to install 1.6.3 off GetJar and it says it's not compatible with the Fire!

I am Cdn and can't get into the !!! Kindle AppStore. Have sideloaded Astro, etc., etc, and am using dropbox to install things. I can't find a Mantano apk to install ... I even want to buy the full version.
I sideloaded v 1.6.4.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post

1.6.4 installed with no problem on my son's Fire. In fact, this was the first App we installed.

My guess is 1.6.3 should work as well. I think that GetJar may have returned that Error because the Kindle is so new it doesn't recognize the device and returns the error. Try downloading and installing it from here:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4960.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-16-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Thank you so much! I had spent a half hour trying to find a way to get Mantano installed!

That worked perfectly with Dropbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
1.6.4 installed with no problem on my son's Fire. In fact, this was the first App we installed.

My guess is 1.6.3 should work as well. I think that GetJar may have returned that Error because the Kindle is so new it doesn't recognize the device and returns the error. Try downloading and installing it from here:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4960.html
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Are you guys getting pixelated icons in the carousel or is there a method that does not cause that problem?
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
Are you guys getting pixelated icons in the carousel or is there a method that does not cause that problem?
Yes. Some sideloaded app icons look good, but most don't.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you have an Android device with Market Access you can install ES File Explorer and it will backup any apps from the Market into a apk file then just upload to Dropbox and Install on your Fire.

To backup an app while in ES File Explorer.
Hit Menu/Manager/App Manager
Select the Multi Select button at the top
(It's the one with the + on it.)

Select apps to backup by hitting each one in the File list.
Hit Menu/Backup to backup the apps.

Or Long press on one app and choose backup.

You will find the apk files in the folder backup\apps.

You can then upload them in ES File Explorer using the Dropbox app.

Long press on the apk file a window will popup,
Scroll down while in the Operations window and choose Share\Dropbox\Send to This Folder.

Once that's done, on your Kindle Fire where you have sideloaded the Dropbox app.

Open Dropbox and find where you sent the apk file
Then just press on it and It will open the installer automatically.

Note: You can download the Dropbox app directly from their site but Silk blocks it. So you will need to do this via USB or email it your email. (Not the Kindle's email!) However I recommended side loading Opera Mini you can download apk files directly from a website with it.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-17-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote