Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #511
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamedselim View Post
Could you please add:
1- backup of setting to google (google play games method) as Yatse app do for example, it is quick, easy and seamless in backup and restore, just choose to backup or just choose to restore Done !!!
The built-in Android backup won't work with CC because the database is too large. That is one reason that CC has its own backup. You can store CC's backup file(s) in a monitored folder so that it is/they are automatically uploaded to Dropbox/GDrive/OneDrive/Box/whatever. The free apps from MetaCtrl (e.g., dropsync) handle this nicely.
Quote:
2-multiuser support and switch in app as we may make (virtual users) in content server, each with its own libraries and preferences and prefered parts of library (more flexibility)
Android's multi-user capability does this today. Trying to shoehorn multi-user into CC would lead to all sorts of difficulties that I am not willing to deal with, including problems with wireless-device caching, shared book storage, password management, and application cache management (e.g., cloud credentials and database).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #512
Bless
Bless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindl
I would like to send Books from my android devise to my Kindl via Email. Similar to the calibre on my PC.
Or, even better, send Books direktly to my Kindl via cable or WiFi.

Are you planing on something like that?

Because I can't use calibre on my kindl, I can't organise lots of books on my kindl in a good, logic way.
On the other hand I don't like to read on my Android.

Thank You!
Bless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #513
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Are your android device books not on your PC in Calibre? It may make sense to put them there to get them over to your kindle. It's quite easy, as I'm sure you know, to sync them to the kindle via usb cable, and then of course you can organize them on the kindle any way you like.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #514
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless View Post
I would like to send Books from my android devise to my Kindl via Email. Similar to the calibre on my PC.
Or, even better, send Books direktly to my Kindl via cable or WiFi.

Are you planing on something like that?

Because I can't use calibre on my kindl, I can't organise lots of books on my kindl in a good, logic way.
On the other hand I don't like to read on my Android.

Thank You!
No, we aren't planning on adding any ability to directly integrate with Kindles or other special-purpose reader devices.

You can use CC's "Send to app" (Book Details / 3-dot menu / Send to app) to email a book to any email address you wish. I used it to select "gmail" to send a .mobi from my Oneplus phone to my Kindle Fire, and the book arrived. You do need to ensure that the email address on your your Android device is registered with Amazon.

Why can't you connect your kindle to calibre and manage it directly? Or do you mean you "can't use calibre [companion] on your kindle"?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #515
Bless
Bless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindl
Sorry for beeing vague. I ment Calibre Companion.

It woult be nice to transfer books from my android "library" to my kindle while I am not home. I travel a lot.

Calibre on my PC works perfectly well. But at home i don't need my android device.
Bless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #516
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless View Post
It woult be nice to transfer books from my android "library" to my kindle while I am not home. I travel a lot.
My apologies -- my answer above was not clear. You can use CC's "Send to app" function to email a book from CC's library on your Android device to your Kindle.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #517
lorikitty
lorikitty began at the beginning.

Device: LG V20
Removable Storage Support (Chromebook w/Google Play)

Hello again MultiPie!

First, I've been using Calibre Companion for almost two years now, and joined the Beta per your suggestion shortly after I bought it. I rely on it so much, and love it to death (literally - it's loaded over 10k books on my phone and I'm still trying to kill it).

In that time, I started college, and bought a low-capacity Chromebook that supports the Play Store and has a touch screen interface (the Acer R11). Since I have less than 10GB available storage, and it's half-used by everything else I do with the Chromebook, I bought a high capacity micro SD card with the intent to keep it permanently inserted in the Chromebook. Right now the SD card is loaded with a copy of all the books my phone has, and the settings backup from my phone so I don't have to re-do all that work.

I've tried multiple ways to get Calibre Companion to work with the micro SD card, which the app does see, but it never writes to it. Further research on the matter indicates there's a way to set up the APIs to enable removable storage support, but it's up to the app developer to do that.

Since removable storage isn't the best way to use Calibre Companion, I understand why it's not implemented. Even so, for Chromebook users who use your app, it might be the only way we can have our libraries available while away from our home networks.

Is there any way you could make an exception to your removable storage stance?
lorikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #518
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorikitty View Post
Hello again MultiPie!

First, I've been using Calibre Companion for almost two years now, and joined the Beta per your suggestion shortly after I bought it. I rely on it so much, and love it to death (literally - it's loaded over 10k books on my phone and I'm still trying to kill it).

In that time, I started college, and bought a low-capacity Chromebook that supports the Play Store and has a touch screen interface (the Acer R11). Since I have less than 10GB available storage, and it's half-used by everything else I do with the Chromebook, I bought a high capacity micro SD card with the intent to keep it permanently inserted in the Chromebook. Right now the SD card is loaded with a copy of all the books my phone has, and the settings backup from my phone so I don't have to re-do all that work.

I've tried multiple ways to get Calibre Companion to work with the micro SD card, which the app does see, but it never writes to it. Further research on the matter indicates there's a way to set up the APIs to enable removable storage support, but it's up to the app developer to do that.

Since removable storage isn't the best way to use Calibre Companion, I understand why it's not implemented. Even so, for Chromebook users who use your app, it might be the only way we can have our libraries available while away from our home networks.

Is there any way you could make an exception to your removable storage stance?
It is ChromeOS that is causing the problem, not CC. There are a zillion posts on the 'net about it. This thread might help you make it work.

My bottom line: the SD card must be a mounted file system and CC must be able to get write permission via Android's Storage Access Framework. This has been tested on Android devices with SD cards and with OTG-mounted disks (thumb drives and real spinning disks) that show up in the SAF browser. (OTG mounting usually requires root). My understanding from the threads mentioned earlier is that the ChromeOS people are planning to add this functionality real-soon-now.

I am not going to try to implement something special for Chromebooks. The first problem is I don't have one to test with. Second: it isn't clear that I *can* do anything about it. Third: I don't see the payback, especially if I would need to maintain 2 different APKs.

One idea: if you put your entire calibre library (books and metadata.db) on the SD card then you can use CC's local cloud connection to retrieve books from that library. The connection needs read access, not read/write. You would have all your books available. You could copy a small subset of interest to CC's library in local memory. or copy the books one or two at a time relying on the local-cloud connection browser to search the library. This method works with mounted OTG drives that aren't visible in the SAF, which from your description is the behavior you are seeing.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #519
lorikitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is ChromeOS that is causing the problem, not CC. There are a zillion posts on the 'net about it. This thread might help you make it work.
I've been following a thread on ChromeOS about this here, and it just got an update from a dev stating "This should be fixable by the app developers to use the removable storage API as mentioned in comment #54." I've had success with some apps that do have read/write access to the SD card, and others that don't.

The problem with the setup the way you've outlined it is the books aren't pointed to the right path, and when I try to change it, I select the folder that contains all of the books and Calibre Companion doesn't actually change the path. It just sits there with the same path from my phone. Calibre Companion can see the folder with no problem, but it doesn't switch to it.

I also rely on the connection to my computer to make sure books are marked as read properly (Goodreads obsession) and I use a few custom columns to organize everything. With local only mode, those custom columns can't be used

This was a long shot request, so I'll just stick to my phone for books. Thank you for making the phone experience awesome I appreciate your reply, too.

Edited to add: the link you provided involves modifying my Chromebook, and I need it to be 100% reliable for school - I can't modify it or I risk missing assignments because it won't work while I'm away from home.

Last edited by lorikitty; 11-28-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: adding info about not rooting
Old 11-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #520
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorikitty View Post
I've been following a thread on ChromeOS about this here, and it just got an update from a dev stating "This should be fixable by the app developers to use the removable storage API as mentioned in comment #54." I've had success with some apps that do have read/write access to the SD card, and others that don't.
The Google page linked to by that post also says that the Storage Access Framework should work. CC uses the SAF.

Another issue: the "Scoped Directory Access" feature appears in Android 7. To use it, an app must claim to support and follow the rule that release imposes. One new "rule" in Android 7 is that an app *cannot* pass a file path to another app, which fundamentally breaks CC because it can no longer hand the book path to the reader app. Instead it must support the other app making a copy of the file so you end up with N copies of every book you read.
Quote:
The problem with the setup the way you've outlined it is the books aren't pointed to the right path, and when I try to change it, I select the folder that contains all of the books and Calibre Companion doesn't actually change the path. It just sits there with the same path from my phone. Calibre Companion can see the folder with no problem, but it doesn't switch to it.
I strongly suspect that if you send yourself a CC debug log you will see that CC is unable to compute the externally-accessible path for the folder. This happens if the device isn't truly mounted. Without that path, CC cannot hand the book to a reader app (as discussed above).
Quote:
I also rely on the connection to my computer to make sure books are marked as read properly (Goodreads obsession) and I use a few custom columns to organize everything. With local only mode, those custom columns can't be used
The local cloud connection sees all the custom columns in the calibre library and imports that data into the local CC library.

Updating the read information would still work. You import a book from the local copy into CC's library then read the book. You then connect as a wireless device, which will sync the read information with the master calibre library. They changes won't appear in the "local cloud connection" until you copy the updated calibre metadata.db to the sd card, so it would be best if you updated the calibre DB on the sd card from time to time to be sure the metadata is correct.

The process I recommend is:
  1. If the computer running calibre doesn't have an sd card reader, get one.
  2. Mount the sd card on the calibre computer by putting the card into the reader.
  3. Use a sync program to copy the calibre library (the parent folder, all subfolders, and the metadata.db file) to the sd card. The first time will take a while.
  4. Remove the card from the reader and put it in your chromebook.
  5. Use the local cloud connection to get books from the sd card, storing them in CC's library in the Chromebook's main memory.
  6. From time to time use the wireless device connection to sync the read information back to calibre.
  7. From time to time go back to step 2: remount the sd card in the calibre machine and resync the library. This will copy changes without copying things that haven't changed.
This all works because the books contain a unique identifier that calibre and CC use to connect the local cloud connection with the master calibre library it came from. This is the same process used for in-the-cloud calibre libraries.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #521
lorikitty

Hey Charles,

Thanks for looking into it and reviewing the bug's assertion that this is an app developer "problem" - it really hit home how little the devs are considering this a bug. Ever since the bug was closed a few days ago, a bunch of people have replied telling them to re-open it because it isn't a dev problem, it's a mounting problem.

Since I really wanted this to perform exactly the same way it does on my phone, with no work-arounds that use the internal storage at all, I bit the bullet and did the dev mode/rootfs arc-sdcard.conf modification outlined on this blogger post. The only thing I had to change was the mount point, since my sdcard is on /dev/mmcblk1p1 for some reason, not /dev/mmcblk1. You can run the "Mount" command in a crosh shell to check for your card's mount point.

Maybe someday ChromeOS will get updated with the same sdcard setup that Android has, but until then, I'll just use the hack. Thank you again

(also posting this in case anyone else has a similar setup - it only took about 20m, and most of the time was spent switching to dev mode and waiting for it to wipe)

Screenshot shows where the path wouldn't update from my phone's SD card to my Chromebook's, but now contains the new path from the arc-sdcard.conf modification. Works perfectly now!
Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #522
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Dear Chaley,

Will you be kind enough to support adaptive icons with material-design style for CC? I hate the fact that CC now looks out of place.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #523
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Hi Chaley

I don't know if this is possible but I would love to be able to edit a custom column I have that tracks how often I have read a book, at the moment all I can do is modify the date read column but I would like to increment the number of times read column as well.

Thanks
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #524
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
Hi Chaley

I don't know if this is possible but I would love to be able to edit a custom column I have that tracks how often I have read a book, at the moment all I can do is modify the date read column but I would like to increment the number of times read column as well.

Thanks
Adding general editing of columns in CC is much more work that I am interested in doing.

One workaround is to use something like Google Keep (checkbox) notes as a memory aide. On the device, write into the note what you want to change when you get back to calibre. Once on the machine running calibre, open the note in the browser and make the edits stored in the note. Using checkboxes lets you keep track of what has been done, something important if more than one person is making notes.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #525
fernandie
fernandie began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 3
I couldn't tell if this had been asked already, but would it be possible to make the book Rating an edit-able field in CC to sync up with Calibre, the way the Read status and Date Read do?
fernandie is offline   Reply With Quote