Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
Mac user bites the bullet

I've been having a great time with my Reader, and it's been no problem transferring files via Memory Stick and the Mac... but even though people are clearly unsatisfied with the Connect store, that $50 certificate has been calling to me. And it gets worse; last week I bought the new Steven King novel in the ever-popular dead tree format, and it just felt wrong. (For the record, it was still a great read.)

So tonight I made the leap, visited eBay, and picked up a cheap used Dell laptop for one purpose, and one purpose alone: to get access to the heretofore inaccessible Connect store. DRM and all, I just can't resist the thought of being able to add current publications to my collection of Gutenberg classics and web clippings. (Fictionwise and manybooks.net are fantastic, but you catch my drift.)

It's got XP Pro, a P4@2Ghz and 3/4 of a gig ram, so I'm guessing it will be spunky enough to run the Connect software. This is *not* meant to be flamebait; I'm a big one for using whatever tool makes you happy. It's just that I've used Apples since 1979 (and will continue to be a Mac partisan!) but it's a sign of how cool the Reader is that I'm committed enough to get the necessary screwdriver to do the job.

If any of you experienced Windows mavens have any advice for the newbie, I'm all ears! Thanks -
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Doh! Why didn't you go buy parallels or download Virtual PC (free from microsoft now, although I don't know if the reader will work with Virtual PC)? The Connect software does work with parallels with an intel mac.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I hope you wanted a PC also, and didn't just miss the Mac options jmdor mentioned. Maybe that's an option for you down the road if you don't want to keep the PC. Or maybe you will also find other things that the PC turns out to be helpful for.

But, wow, I gotta say that you are an inspiration! If the Sony folks see that, I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear about such a fan! I sure hope you find the Sony Reader to be a joy. I'm ecstatic about it myself, and find it is revolutionizing my reading and really makes me want to read, plus it's easy on my eyes.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
randyman,

I'm a long-time Mac user (since 1990), so I share your frustrations. Experimental/new gadgets tend to be marketed with PC-only software, since the Mac market is over 10 times smaller.

My choice was to install Boot Camp on my Intel Mac, which allowed me to install Windows XP, and make my Intel Mac dual-bootable. I can switch OS-es by rebooting. Boot Camp Beta works on Mac OS 10.4, and 10.5 (Leopard) will have Boot Camp built in.

As jmdor mentioned in this thread, he installed Parallels on his Intel Mac, and has had some success. Parallels only runs on Intel Macs, and not the older PowerPC Macs.

If you have a PowerPC Mac, then you can use Virtual PC for Mac instead of Parallels. Virtual PC for Mac only runs on PowerPC Macs, and not Intel Macs. So, it's an either/or situation.

I think the most budget-conscious way for a Mac user to use their Reader is to buy a SD card or Memory Stick, and the proper card reader, which you can do for about $100, even less. Camera stores are a nice one-stop place to shop. If you go to a big box store, then head to their camera section.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I'll let my Flickr pic do the talking again

jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
Thanks for the replies -

I'm well aware of the options available to the Intel Mac owner; I just haven't added any of these to my dual G5 render farm yet. (I'm waiting for the dual quad core to be announced, likely in Jan, before making the leap.) You're right - Parallels or Boot Camp will make perfect sense then.

So in the meanwhile, it seemed most cost-effective to spend considerably less - about $240 - on the used Dell laptop.
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
jmdor
Enthusiast

Okay; I'm glad you knew of the options and made a logical decision. I've had a Dell laptop for years for just this kind of thing -- pc-only software. Now with my macbook and parallels, though, I have finally ditched the Dell. Be glad when you upgrade that this only needs to be a temporary solution!!
Old 11-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hey! Randyman, you did a good move, what ever sadness you feel about it at this point. I've been working on both platforms for a long time and enjoy both. I don't believe in hybrids, whatever they are.

I can see only two problems with having both. First, you'll have a tendancy to limit one computer for a specific task and the other for an other software, so you'll have to move from one to the other, but that's okay you can link them. Second, the upkeep, it's expensive to regularly update hardware and sotware for both platforms simultaneously. You might have to sacrifice one platform for the other at longer time intervals. But that has a fix too ex: Photoshop's better on the Mac, Turbo Cad's better on the PC (no argument meant). There are things you can't easily do on a Mac and things you can't easily do on a PC, having both is good.

Deep down, I'm a Mac guy because I like design and innovation first...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

It is very nice to have the choice these days. I am writing this on my MacBook and I have a PC for my work stuff. I have thought about Parallels, but, honestly, every time I go into their forums I see so many tears, threats against the company, arguments, reports of new stuff broken with every update. It scares the heck out of me. I think I'd rather not.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
jmdor
Enthusiast

Parallels is far superior to the previous solution, Virtual PC. I had little luck running Virtual PC, but parallels has run everything I've thrown at it, from connect software to sewing machine software (that refused to run on Virtual PC). The forums (like anything) will magnify any problem -- I really highly recommend parallels.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I should really give it a shot, I know. I haven't done it. It would be a nice experiment. I use a PC primarily for my daily work. I telecommute for a IT support firm and all of the software runs in IE and Java. If I could get all that to run on my Mac, it would be kind of nice.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #12
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
I have thought about Parallels, but, honestly, every time I go into their forums I see so many tears, threats against the company, arguments, reports of new stuff broken with every update. It scares the heck out of me. I think I'd rather not.
That's what forums are for.

It's like the nightly news, you mainly see car crashes and violent crimes and stuff, yet most of the 6 billion people on the planet are just having a normal day... (They might be living in poverty, and not owning Sony Readers, but still normal.)

Usually computer/softwarae problems are edge cases, and often the forums are part of the solution, they help narrow it down.

The Sony CONNECT software is the first major problem I've had with Parallels since using the virtualization solution from the beta. CONNECT wasn't working on the Mac Pro, but was on a MacBook. The Parallels forum helped tracked down the problem to a recurring issue on the Mac Pro with VT-x hardware virtualization, which was actually Apple's issue, not Parallels'.

Apple's latest EFI firmware update has now fixed this and Parallels + Mac Pro works perfectly with the Sony Reader.
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Word of warning: while the CONNECT software works on Parallels on *most* Intel Macs, it does NOT work on the Mac Pro towers.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #14
tcv
Addict

Oh, well, I have a MacBook.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Has anyone gotten the connect software working in VirtualPC?

I have a small install of XP on my "old" G4 Powerbook. The connect software appears to be happy throughout the install, but when I try to execute I can't even find anything that looks like it could be the connect software process.

I'm sure that this'll be the thing that'll get me out to get parallels, but for "on the road" stuff, I'm still stuck using Virtual PC.

Any tips/tricks to getting it working?
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote