Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
"Never put jam in an envelope" ...

And so said Eddie Izzard - Ok now I have you attention, you might be pleased to know Google have launched there own ebook search site - books.google.com. All the texts fall into the realm of "Public Domain" and they come in PDF format. If you come across any gems among the titles on offer, please be sure to let us know!

Original story via cnet here.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
eumesmo
Connoisseur
eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Marvelous, found Goethe's Wilhelm Meisters Travels, can't wait to run it through OCR.
eumesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
And so said Eddie Izzard...
My wife and I absolutely love Eddie Izzard!

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
...Google have launched there own ebook search site - books.google.com. All the texts fall into the realm of "Public Domain" and they come in PDF format.
Although all files I've tested read well on Adobe Acrobat, and those I have tested seem to be accepted by FineReader 8, they fare less well on the iLiad. I have seen reports that other mobile PDF readers also have similar problems.

Not sure what the problem is: I can't find any implementation notes for xpdf that says if it doesn't support progressive JPEG 2000 encoding of images.

Or are there any Google PDF books that do work on mobile readers?

Last edited by ath; 09-01-2006 at 03:53 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
Or are there any Google PDF books that do work on mobile readers?
Since the Google books are basically just graphics packaged into a PDF, unless the original pages are smaller than 8.5"x11" or the font rather large, they will be unreadable on the iLiad even if the files themselves are readable by xpdf.

So, right now, the answer to your question is "probably not." Your best bet for public domain content is still the old stand-bys: Gutenberg, Manybooks, etc.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eumesmo
Marvelous, found Goethe's Wilhelm Meisters Travels, can't wait to run it through OCR.
I hadn't thought of that eumesmo. How well does this work? The quality of the scans is variable so I assume the OCR output would be as well. The only reason I'd want to do this is if I wanted a particular edition of a Shakespeare play or something like that. Otherwise gutenberg is the way to go. Still I'd be interested in hearing your experiences using OCR with Google books.

Oh forgot to add Izzard quotes...
"I'm covered in bees!"
"I'm not Head of Catering! I am Vader!"
"No flag no country you can't have one!"

Sorry

Last edited by Gatton; 09-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Eddie Izzard

New Eddie Izzard comedy will be airing on BBC America soon:

http://tinyurl.com/zu5rn

Cheers!
--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote