Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Bob_Reno
Bob_Reno began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad Reader
Question Iliad case for Afghanistan

Hello friends, I've been reading through the numerous threads concerning Iliad carrying cases. I've got a special need, and I was wondering if I could get someone's advice.

I'm military and will be bringing my Iliad reader to Afghanistan. I understand there will be compromises between the various priorities that I need.

The priorities are:
-Size: There's not much room in the packs I'll be carrying
-Protection: It doesn't need to stop a bullet or anything (although that would be a heck of a story to tell!) but the reader will sometimes be packed tightly into bags and have other bags packed on top of it. A hard durable shell is probably a must.
-Weight: Less important, but I would prefer not to carry around something too heavy.

Not important to me are looks and style.

If anyone has any suggestions or experiences that may be helpful, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

--Bob
Bob_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
check the links to the aluminum cases posted in this thread.. they might fulfill your needs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24800
They look at least sturdy enough.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Thats the link I would have posted

I'm very happy with my case. I think it would be good for Afganistan too.

Good luck.

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
KillerRabbit
KillerRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Sedia case & Mk19 ammo padding

Bob,

I just got back this past spring from spending a year in Afghanistan and I did take my Iliad with me. Before we left for our mobilization station, I bought one of the Sedia Cushion Case from eReader Outfitters ($15).

Once we got to our mob station, I was able to get some of the foam padding that comes in cans of Mk19 ammunition. For those of you not familiar with it, the padding is a very dense 1/2" thick foam. I took two pieces of it (9" x 10.5") which was just slightly larger than the Sedia case. I took 3 long narrow pieces and put them between the two large panels on three sides so that the Iliad could slide into the new outer case. I then wrapped the whole thing with wide clear plastic tape.

When I took it into Afghanistan, I had it tightly packed in my ruck sack with a lot of other soft stuff. It was palletized with about 50 other ruck sacks and duffle bags. During my time in country, I only used it in my b-hut and when we rotated out at the end of our year, I took it home the same way.

Very cheap, durable, and seemed to protect it quite well.

The first picture shows the empty foam case next to the Sedia case, which in turn, has the Iliad laying on top. The second picture is an edge shot of my foam case, and the third is the foam case with the combination Sedia case / Iliad partially pulled out.

Bob, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Otherwise, safe travels to you and yours. While there were some bad times during my year, there were many good times too. I have no regrets about going. While I didn't have a lot of time for pleasure reading, it was nice to have the Iliad when I did have the time and it did a pretty good job.

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mk19 foam case - 01.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	17342   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk19 foam case - 02.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	17343   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk19 foam case - 03.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	17344  
KillerRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict

Twisting the case of the iLiad can also break the screen. IMHO I would take a solid case if putting it into a big bag with a lot of things.

Gogolo
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Bob_Reno

Hi friends, I really appreciate the replies. I think I'm going to order the case Gogolo suggested because I like the hard case idea. I had a Sony reader 500 screen crash on me earlier this year, which is why I'm so paranoid about my new iliad and taking it overseas. Marc, welcome back brother, and I'll keep a lookout for some of that foam padding for use inside the case.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
this is the absoulte bomb proof iLiad case.
Now, in that case I wish I had choosen a other image...

Wish you a lot of time for reading.

Gogolo
Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
tudou331100
Enthusiast
tudou331100 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad V1, palm treo 650
This is what I have when I pack iLiad for travelling

24.5*15.8*3mm length, wide,thick

it fit iLiad perfectly, you can put some foam in this case to make it fit iLiad better

this metal box much lighter than this one

Last edited by tudou331100; 01-22-2009 at 10:13 PM.
tudou331100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Thank you all for your service to our country.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Thank you for serving! Come back safely!
I would include my knitted pattern for a tote, but I don't think it would survive such heavy wear.
What books do you plan on reading?

Libby Cone
Author, War on the Margins: A Novel

http://tinyurl.com/6y973d
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Bob_Reno

I really like the ESPIRIT case you have. Where did you get it? I live in America.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Bob_Reno

Thank you Desertgrandma!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Bob_Reno

The books I plan on reading are primarily pdf files of tactics and techniques put out by the Army. Stuff that should be useful in Afghanistan. Fun stuff.

I do have lots of books on economics, sciences, philosophy, and politics as well. I obviously won't be able to read all of them, but it's okay because I have a nasty habit of just skimming through and reading parts of lots of books and not really finishing any.

I have a pretty decent collection of fiction books as well, mostly classics. Honestly, though, I haven't really gotten absorbed into a good fiction novel for a long time. Now that I think of it, I wonder why that is?...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Reno View Post
I'm military and will be bringing my Iliad reader to Afghanistan. I understand there will be compromises between the various priorities that I need.
For Afghanistan you need something bulletproof. What about a metalcase?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cases, iliad book edition