Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Scarol75
Scarol75 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Working on a Ebook Company Library

Hi all,
I'm trying to collecting info: I would like to create an Ebookd Company Library in my Company; may someone give e any suggestions?

Best

Carmen
Scarol75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarol75 View Post
Hi all,
I'm trying to collecting info: I would like to create an Ebookd Company Library in my Company; may someone give e any suggestions?

Best

Carmen
1) Appoint a Librarian who will add books and maintain the Metadata.
1a) dedicate a (always on) Host PC. (the librarian can access via Remote Desktop Connection)
2) Everyone else accesses via the content server
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) Appoint a Librarian who will add books and maintain the Metadata.
1a) dedicate a (always on) Host PC. (the librarian can access via Remote Desktop Connection)
2) Everyone else accesses via the content server
+1

Note that the "host PC" (#1a, above) needs to host both calibre and the library files. The library should not be placed on shared network storage.

Also, you can turn on calibre's automatic import on the Host PC's calibre installation to allow simple automated additions to the library of any ebook that is placed in a specified folder. This is what many applications refer to as a "watch folder". The librarian could run a separate copy of calibre for initial ebook editing and management and then they could export ("Save to Disk" in calibre lingo) a new book and copy it across a network to the Host PC's watch folder. The Host PC's calibre would then automatically move it into its library for public access via the Content Server. The librarian would then only need to access the Host PC, either directly or remotely, for other management chores (update calibre, delete books, alter an existing book, ...).

Using the automatic adding with the watch folder works fine when the watch folder is a shared folder. This would allow multiple non-librarian, but trusted, users to submit books for automatic addition with the official librarian still being the only person with direct access to calibre.

Last edited by dwig; 07-19-2017 at 05:22 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
If you allow non-librarian users to add to the watch folder, I'd also suggest adding a tag for added books. (preferences -> adding books -> tags to apply when adding a books)

Then the librarian can periodically check for books in that tag to verify metadata and remove the tag when the metadata is complete.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
If you allow non-librarian users to add to the watch folder, I'd also suggest adding a tag for added books. (preferences -> adding books -> tags to apply when adding a books)

Then the librarian can periodically check for books in that tag to verify metadata and remove the tag when the metadata is complete.
excellent point.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post

I would discourage allowing non-librarians to add books to the shared library. That's just asking for abuse. Spam, piracy, etc. If you really want uses to be able to submit books to the library, you could set up a watch folder for dwig's hypothetical librarian-only library. That way, the books wouldn't be shared until the librarian has approved them.

In that case, you might not need the tag, because ALL books in that library would be in-progress.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you talking about things like company reports? I agree with the previous posters: appoint a librarian who has the sole ability to add content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
I ran a large Calibre hosting a pretty large library for a text corpus for a research project, which isn't a million miles from similar usage. I agree pretty much with the above method.

I'm a little unclear if you mean things like storing textbooks and user manuals centrally, like an internal reference library, or as Harry suggest, more like company generated documents like reports etc., so this is probably more directed towards the latter.

A couple of things you might want to think about:
Think about the metadata you need now, before you set up, especially if it's likely to differ from standard book metadata, because it's a lot easier to do that from scratch than retrofit it later. For instance, will you need to keep multiple revisions of documents? Consider adding a "Revision" or "Edition" column. It's better to collect metadata you don't need than to figure out 6 months and several thousand docs down the line that you really ought to have X stored, because people keep asking for docs that fit X.

Try to have rigorous requirements for incoming file naming, because it will greatly speed up the librarian's work if you can just parse most of the useful metadata straight out of the filename. We did have a central incoming folder that anyone could put docs in, but I also ran a cron job that pulled out anything that didn't meet the requirements so that it wasn't imported until it was fixed. For instance, if date or department is a requirement in your metadata for the library to be useful, then require it in the incoming filenames, and specify the format clearly and simply so people will use it.

The calibre web interface (particularly the new one!) is great for a file at a time, but if you are talking about documents like business reports, prepare for the necessity to pull multiple documents at a time. Since that was pretty much the reason for our project, we set up a separate web form for the research team to use so they could request a subset of documents based on arbitrary criteria ("This tag or this tag and published between this date and that date and more than 10k words but not more than 100k words and in English"), which got mailed to the librarian (i.e., me) and I could then spit out the results in the desired format via save to disk back to the network server. A web form might be overkill for your case, but an email template for people to fill in stuck up on your intranet somewhere will make this task a lot easier and faster.

I can probably think of more things, but those are the ones that can really be a time-suck if you haven't planned sufficiently, so I hope that helps.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library ebooks, virtual bookstore