Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Smokva
Smokva began at the beginning.

Device: none
File not empty error - please clarify

Ok, first and foremost I am really sorry if this is a duplicate. I am sure it must be but I simply cannot find any but the most vague reference to this using above search parameters.

I am in the process of transferring my library to a clean computer. I've exported as per instructions, and to be clear, I am pretty certain I can get the import to work. I think I got it right last week despite having this same issue. Unfortunately I had to reinstall windows since then (non-related issues) so I am doing it again. But this issue really bugged me as I feel I am missing something VERY obvious, and I just don't get it. So I am hoping you can clarify.

As per instructions, I installed Calibre on new system and it is empty save for the default "Getting Started" book. Now when I try to import, I try to import into this default 'Calibre Library' folder that Calibre created. That would make sense, no? So I get the message:
'calibre, version 3.4.0
ERROR: Folder not empty: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Calibre Library is not an empty folder

Now of course it is not empty - the 'Getting Started' book is in it. But so what? I want to keep the book as reference.
However, I decide I will delete the book (through Calibre) so I can keep the name of the folder. And again... same message.
I go into the folder and see a metadata and a json file... I delete those, and try again. Same message.
I go back into the file and see that the metadata and json file reappeared - probably does so automatically whenever I open Calibre.
So fine... I am pretty sure I can accomplish everything by creating a NEW folder. I just wanted to keep this folder as I want to keep the folder name the same. It seemed silly to rename this folder, create new folder of the same name, import into new one... etc. And also... I lose the 'Getting Started'.

So am I missing an obvious step? Am I doing something wrong? Could I import into the original folder Calibre created but am simply doing something dumb?

(Again... very sorry if duplicate. I really did try to find this error.)
Smokva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When you CREATE a new Library, the folder must be empty.
If all you are doing is MOVING a library from an old computer: COPY(using the OS) the FOLDER (and ALL the contents) to the new computer

The folder name IS the Library name and is the only folder you CAN change the name of using the OS (you will need to Switch/Create to the new Library (folder) name
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Smokva

?? I read your answer 5 times - and I'm still confused.
(Yes... I know you're rolling your eyes and smacking your forehead - and you probably have every right to. )
Like I said, I always felt I was missing something very obvious and your answer seems to indicate that I was right... and that unfortunately for the time being, I will keep missing it.

From your answer, it almost seems to imply that the 'import/export' function is unnecessary. That all I have to do is copy/paste. Yet that doesn't seem quite right. If it was, why would that method (imp/exp) be explicitly detailed in the 'moving from one computer to another' instructions? It would seem to me that the import/export would not only address the database, but also the config of Calibre (extra columns etc..). And that simply copying the database would not duplicate that.

Or maybe I don't quite understand the concept of 'Library' as it is used in this context... I simply have one folder with an enormous amount of books.

Look, I really am sorry about bothering you all about this. I am relatively certain that creating a new folder and 'importing' the data will work just fine. It just bothers me that I don't quite understand the logic process.
Usually I would expect to be able to import the 'old data' into the newly created 'default' folder. The fact that I can't do that is confusing to me, but that it is my problem.

Thank you so much for your attempt to explain it, but I think I need an 'Idiot's version' or perhaps an Idiot idiot's version...
Old 07-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Smokva - I assume you are using this Import/Export feature

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	158024

Try this - start calibre, use its Rename library option to rename "Calibre Library" to say "Default Library", and then do the Import, you should end up with two libraries - Default Library with the Getting Started manual, and your original Calibre Library with all your books.

Aside: some calibre users, refer to Add Books as Import and Save to Disk as Export Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Smokva

@BetterRed
Yes, I am using that feature... although I do not have the options you have in my version. (I do not have "_Media, _Text"... etc, nor do I have the 'Rename Library' option.) I can only assume that may be an add-on of some sort as my Calibre was just downloaded and is the most current version. So thank you for the tip, but 'renaming' is evidently not an option.

I created a new folder and simply named it Calibre-Library with the dash. The import seems to have worked ok.
It's not so much that I can't get it to work (fingers crossed that I am not lying here-I haven't actually double checked anything as of yet ), but rather that I am somewhat confused as to the process vs. the instructions.
Perhaps this would not be an issue for me if in the instructions it said:

"After you have installed Calibre in the new system, a default library folder will be created. Unfortunately, you CANNOT import into this default library (for whatever reason). You will have to create new empty folders into which you will import your data."

And to be fair, there is enough info within the instructions to somewhat extrapolate that meaning (hence I was able to make it work), but it seems to me that is a pretty vital step to take for granted if you are providing detailed instructions.

And that is where my confusion set in. To me, a newly created folder should be empty. Then I wondered if I should delete the book? Then, why won't it delete? Then I kept wondering why do I need a new folder if Calibre just created one? What am I supposed to do with the original folder Calibre created? Can I delete it? What happens to the 'Getting Started' book? Do I have to 'add' it? And on and on...
And then I start thinking, 'Hmmm... I must be missing something.'

I shrugged it off a week ago, simply focusing on getting it to work.
But when I had to do it again today... well, the 'itch' to understand couldn't be denied so I figured I would ask. But, no offense, I think YOU guys know too much to be able to properly dumb it down.

The program is brilliant. Kovid Goyal is brilliant. But instructions are not meant for people who understand or have experience with the program. (I speak as someone who has been faced with many a blank face and furrowed brow after reading MY absolutely perfect instructions! )

But its ok. Hopefully I did it correctly and did not simply find a way to bypass whatever the recommended action was. The lack of clarity 'itches' but at least it works.
After all, I still would not be able to fully explain to you the different "ADD BOOKS" options if you held a gun to my head... but I get by.
And as for 'search'! Geez. I'd rather manually clean up my registry.

Maybe I will offer my professional 'Idiot's Guide' services should he ever decide to rewrite the instructions... I think you'd agree I'd make a darn good idiot!

Thanks again, to both you and @theducks.
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Smokva - the _Media, _Test etc items, are some of my calibre library names. The reason you didn't see the Rename option was because you only had one library, and you can't rename the current library - I'd forgotten that

I just read the FAQ on moving to a new computer, my only criticism is, that it may be a bit too verbose - although I'm not trying to use it. And because of my library sizes, it's not something I can easily 'test' to remind me how it works.

BR
Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Smokva

@BetterRed
Well, my library looks to have transferred well. The configuration looks to be identical to my old computer's and the few books I've tested are opening fine.
Soooo.... I think I can delete the default folder that was created. What do you think?

And out of curiosity... can I assume that I cannot really rename the new "Calibre-Library" folder to "Calibre Library" through file explorer (right-click; rename) without messing up the directory setting within Calibre?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokva View Post
@BetterRed
Well, my library looks to have transferred well. The configuration looks to be identical to my old computer's and the few books I've tested are opening fine.
Soooo.... I think I can delete the default folder that was created. What do you think?
@smokva - Now you have two libraries, you should have the Rename library option.

I suggest you switch into "Calibre Library" and Rename "Calibre-Library" to something like "MyLibrary", then switch to that library and use the Remove library option on "Calibre Library". That will remove references in the calibre configuration and open the folder in your file manager - from there its all yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokva View Post
And out of curiosity... can I assume that I cannot really rename the new "Calibre-Library" folder to "Calibre Library" through file explorer (right-click; rename) without messing up the directory setting within Calibre?
100% Correct - see above

BR
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #9
Smokva

@BetterRed

This time I will be brief :

Thank you very much.