Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
is the Kobo H2O big enough for manga?

I wish to buy the Kobo H2O and I wish to ask you if for your experience it is big enough for reading manga please.
I know there is a bigger device (Kobo One) but I wish the Kobo H2O because battery like is better and have the micro sd card expansion port (very useful for manga).

a lot of time ago I had the first Kobo Glo model and I was using a software called comic2reader for creating manga. This software was good because it was able to reduce the white borders around the corners. Which software do you use today to make this job? Is it always better to make it in .cbr or today is better to make the file in other file extensions for an optimal reading experience on the kobo?

Thx a lot
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
bookaquarius
bookaquarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
I read manga on my H20 and I love it. It's good for single page and not so for double page.

Managing the manga library in Kobo is really easy with Calibre and Kobo plugin. My manga is in picture format, all I need to do is to zip them by volume, add to Calibre and transfer to Kobo.
bookaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
greens
Connoisseur

thanks a lot for your feedback. I wish to ask you if in your opinion the H2O screen is bigger or smaller than a regular manga please.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
bookaquarius
bookaquarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
H20 is smaller than physical book, I don't have problem reading most of the time. I've attached a picture for your reference.

http://tinypic.com/r/295z3x3/9

Last edited by bookaquarius; 02-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.
bookaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:13 AM   #5
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaquarius View Post
H20 is smaller than physical book, I don't have problem reading most of the time. I've attached a picture for your reference.

http://tinypic.com/r/295z3x3/9
thanks for your kindness!
Advert
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't take a pciture right now but here's an old one comparing Japanese manga with 6" reader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...9&d=1323364822

H2O with 6.8" is "just right" for this format.

Of course, a bigger screen never hurts. And when Japanese manga get translated/printed in the US they're probably a bigger size than the Japanese format so "big enough for manga" depends a lot what you're used to
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
egoat
egoat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
I think the size is so close to sweet spot, could've been little bit bigger but most people wouldn't even notice it probably. What's better is the resolution and the great looking screen. The screen has no obstructions because the touchscreen isn't like the ones on the phones, so you don't have a chunky layer of another material in front of the screen, which I believe Aura ONE has compared to H2O. I've only seen my friends kindle ereader other than my H2O so compared to that it has a really papery looking/feeling screen.

The reason I bought this was because I saw Aura ONE and thought it'd be a great device to read manga, then I found out that it doesn't have any SD card slots so I went with H2O. Which works great so far, I read lots of manga in a short time.

If you'll read below my complaints are really minor and nitpicky so overall I think you'll like it if you're buying it for reading manga. I'd say definitely use KCC since it reduces/enlarges the size of the pages to your device which helps with faster turn pages.

I've wrote some complaints in other posts, basically they are, H2O is little bit on the heavy side when you handle it first and foldering system/mainscreen customization is bit limited. What I didn't wrote was the grooves around the screen catches some dust and might be annoying at times if you're sensitive about it, but quick wipe does wonders. And lastly back side of the Aura ONE helped greatly over me chosing H2O along the no SD option, because I think Aura ONE cyan colored button and whole back looks ugly but H2O has weird purple color and not that black, I was expecting something more rubbery instead of this odd finish. But if you buy a cover you'll never see the backside so there's that.
egoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
I went from H2O to A1 for manga's, the extra size helps a lot for manga's with lots of dialog (think: Ghost in the shell etc), don't really miss the sd card and battery life is more then enough.

I should note that I don't use .cbz format but epub/kepub generated with Kindle Comic Converter (which isn't limited to kindle despite it's name).
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
I went from H2O to A1 for manga's, the extra size helps a lot for manga's with lots of dialog (think: Ghost in the shell etc), don't really miss the sd card and battery life is more then enough.

I should note that I don't use .cbz format but epub/kepub generated with Kindle Comic Converter (which isn't limited to kindle despite it's name).
Thx for your feedback. I have to admit, I am struggling to choose between h2o or A1. people made a shitstorm about the A1 battery life, that scared me a lot. So I wrote to kobo to understand the situation, they say have already fixed the battery life problems with a firmware update. may you reassure me about it please?
Old 02-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's too small for Portrait reading, but it looks great in Landscape (KOReader only)
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:20 AM   #11
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I have read at least 2 volumes on it and in standard mode aka portrait it's OK, but you may want to manually rotate double pages yourself before putting it on there because the text can be too small for some o fthem it has built in image rotating options but I like to do itall at once and forget about it. I just rotate the h20 read double page, rotate it physically back and get on my merry way.

I had actually read some on my old NST a 6" e-reader and it was on the bottom end of readable due to how small the screen was for reading text easily. I was personaly going to get an Aura 1 but the batteyr life being half of the others and also the size whilst great for mangas and the other features I hate recharging stuff.

Finally my h20 w/ a cover _barely_ fits in a coat pocket/some pants pockets and I seriously doubt the aura 1 would unless you have giant pockets so that was the final thing that I would like to add, I like to put my books(now erader) in a coat pocket/pocket when i'm walking/not reading it.
masterz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:37 AM   #12
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Two years ago I went for a H2O manga oriented and it was alright (for one page display CBR or CBZ). The only downside was for some sfx signification at the bottom of the page but since the french physical doesn't outmatch it I didn't care.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
Two years ago I went for a H2O manga oriented and it was alright (for one page display CBR or CBZ). The only downside was for some sfx signification at the bottom of the page but since the french physical doesn't outmatch it I didn't care.
thanks for your feedback, I'm sorry I didn't understand what did you mean for "sfx"?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
crimson
In Cyberspace
crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I don't know how manga in the Western world looks like, but Japanese bunkoban manga is A6 in size which diagonal length is 7.1" so it's not much bigger than the 6.8" H2O. Tankoban is usually B6 (diagonal size is about 7.9") in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
Thx for your feedback. I have to admit, I am struggling to choose between h2o or A1. people made a shitstorm about the A1 battery life, that scared me a lot. So I wrote to kobo to understand the situation, they say have already fixed the battery life problems with a firmware update. may you reassure me about it please?
I never had any problem with Aura One battery life.

BTW I see that you are interested in Aura One so this is a comparison of A6 bunkoban and Aura One, unfortunately I do not have the Japanese version on hand:
http://i.pi.gy/bYKz.jpg

Last edited by crimson; 03-03-2017 at 11:02 PM.
crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
I had to replace my first A1 because it had [vulgarity deleted] battery. The shop replaced it under warranty and the new one has excellent battery life. I usually read on my work commute by train (about 2 hours a day) and I can easily get through a week without charging. So unless you read for more than 10 hours straight I don't think it'll be an issue

Last edited by issybird; 03-04-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Family friendly language only, please.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote