Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So any news on a new Kobo reader?

Now that I've got my new Galaxy Note and the Kobo app I'd like to have a Kobo reader so that I can sync my books across devices. But it's been a year since the Kobo Touch has been out and I don't want to buy old tech. Post some news here if you have any about the existence of any new Kobo reader! I hope the fact that they have been bought up by Rakuten means that they'll be able to put a boatload of cash towards research and development of an even better device than the KT!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, the Kobo Vox did come out after the Kobo Touch. I guess you mean a new Kobo e-ink reader.. No News that I know of yet. :P
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=Xennex1170;2111943]Well, the Kobo Vox did come out after the Kobo Touch. I guess you mean a new Kobo e-ink reader.. No News that I know of yet. :P[/Q\

I noticed that the price on the Touch was 99$ at future shop and the price of the vox was onsale for 169.$ so who knows but it does seem likely that a new kobo is in the works... but thats just speculation on my part really.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Shhhh, don't tell *anyone* this, keep it under your hat, but Kobo is coming out with a 2" eInk reader called the Kobo Ultra-micro, and they are also working on a 20" tablet called the Kobo Ultra-massive. Tagline is "Kobo Ultra, micro or massive, we've got you covered"

You heard it here first!

Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Yet another price drop, the Kobo Touch is now 89$ at Futureshop. Previously the new model released a month after they fell to around 70$.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Kobo Touch at under $100 is a terrific bargain. Even if something new is coming out later in the summer or in the fall, it's unlikely to be $89 or $99. (But, hey, prove me wrong!)

As a portable e-ink reader that simply works, it's hard to beat the current Kobo Touch.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Kobo Touch at under $100 is a terrific bargain. Even if something new is coming out later in the summer or in the fall, it's unlikely to be $89 or $99. (But, hey, prove me wrong!)

As a portable e-ink reader that simply works, it's hard to beat the current Kobo Touch.
ha so you are right its 89.99 here is the link to validate your claim..

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ca6353fb3fen02
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
ha so you are right its 89.99 here is the link to validate your claim..

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ca6353fb3fen02
I wish they would get their spec's right.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Of course, what I said (or at least meant to say) was a NEW Kobo is unlikely to be $89 or $99 so that current price for the Kobo Touch will remain very good value.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Foothill2112
Foothill2112 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-Wireless
Interesting with the post. I just took the plunge a grabbed a Vox today at Futireshop for 169 and was wondering the same thing. When I called the local Coles to see if they had the Vox in black and if they would price match - the salesman I was speaking to said that they can not get black - it was not at the warehouse and that the Vox was being phased out and replaced.

Now I know - just a sales clerk from a small store in a small Canadian store - how does he know? But it did get me wondering. Any input from the Kobo staff that frequent this site? Is Coles changing support to a different type? Is Kobo remaining and improving?

Would be interested in answers since I have 30 days to change my mind.
Foothill2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
A new Kobo would be great (but I wouldn't be after one till christmas time if one does come out)

seems ages since the devices had a software upgrade, so new ones could be coming, just hope they don't ignore the current models (or ignore more than they are now)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I don't care how much the new Kobo Touch will cost (within reason) I just don't want to buy year old tech even if it's only $70. I would much rather pay $130 for something that is more advanced and has more of the bugs ironed out.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
so new ones could be coming, just hope they don't ignore the current models (or ignore more than they are now)
Kobo doesn't have a huge track record because the company is not all that old. In the past though, when a new model came out, they followed it fairly shortly with a very, very stable version of the older device with some (but not all) of the features of the new device.

I expect that is what we will see when they release whatever will replace the Touch. I'll go out on a limb here a bit and speculate: my best guess is that one of the reasons we haven't seen a recent update is that the developers are doing two things--preparing for the new device and getting some of the new features polished up for the Touch.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo doesn't have a huge track record because the company is not all that old. In the past though, when a new model came out, they followed it fairly shortly with a very, very stable version of the older device with some (but not all) of the features of the new device.

I expect that is what we will see when they release whatever will replace the Touch. I'll go out on a limb here a bit and speculate: my best guess is that one of the reasons we haven't seen a recent update is that the developers are doing two things--preparing for the new device and getting some of the new features polished up for the Touch.
sounds good

just checked prices here and dont think the touch has changed £79
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I don't care how much the new Kobo Touch will cost (within reason) I just don't want to buy year old tech even if it's only $70. I would much rather pay $130 for something that is more advanced and has more of the bugs ironed out.
I'm the opposite. I'm extremely willing to buy a two-year old tech toy, if it is extremely stable and does what it advertises. I would be more than happy to go back to a non-wifi, non-touch (D-pad) Kobo, as long as it could be as fast and as clear (newer-ish screen) as the current Kobo Touch.

Unfortunately, electronics companies are always touting their latest technology (look what we've added!... new and improved), and everything that came before (without the newest bells and whistles) gets left behind.

I don't need, the newest, the fastest, the most gigabytes. I just want the old and extremely sturdy, stable, and user-friendly.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote